Tele Thinline Special

Hell, its your guitar Pilgrim!

My only thought was - oh God, Jacks gonna replicate the faded SG color....

I think what you have looks rather spiff, but thats moi, feel free to ignore me. I'm just the last angry man here, an opinionated old galoot, so take what I say with a cup of Drambuie spiked coffee and have fun with it.

Spiff? Do not grok that; will NOT look like faded SG when done; I'm at least as crusty an old opinionated fart as you anyway...

hey cb. if i were to ship some parts to you and cover all the shipping, materials, and labor some time in the near future, would you do a custom paint job for me?  im thinkin black korina sg bass with that dark red burst you did

Dude, you have no idea how much time/labor is involved here.... Warmoth's finishing prices are cheap when you factor your time in...

Schmoo....

Considering I just gave all my toner to Jack.... <ggggg>  Maybe he'd be the one to ask!~

Schmoo ol' bean, you can do it yerself.  Its within the skill level of nearly anyone to do, and do well, if you can follow directions and dont mind shelling out a very small amount for things like a sanding block or two and GOOD sandpaper.

jackthehack said:
That better?

tneck4.jpg

Way better!! (and looks very close to CB's SG to me [and that's a praise, that guitar is very pretty)

Don't know there'll be enough toner left to do another whole guitar; but I'll ship anything left over when I'm done. Here's the Mohawk homepage, they have a bunch of distributors, some on the web:

http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/

Be advised that the color chart on the web site in no way denotes reality; the colors CB and I used are Deep Red Mahogany and Dark Red Mahogany, and the Deep is darker than the Dark...

You CAN do it yourself, but if you occasionally get klutzy, drink while you work, or get visited by the Lacquer Fume Fairy, I recommend buying LOTS of GOOD sandpaper....

i like the fade in the headstock.

dam i gotta get a high paying job so i can do all this stuff on a whim.

i have a lot of ideas that are just rolling around in my head.
but be forewarned, if you ask me about them i wont shut up. 

-CB- said:
Schmoo....

Considering I just gave all my toner to Jack.... <ggggg>  Maybe he'd be the one to ask!~

Schmoo ol' bean, you can do it yerself.  Its within the skill level of nearly anyone to do, and do well, if you can follow directions and dont mind shelling out a very small amount for things like a sanding block or two and GOOD sandpaper.

Can you recommend a  book or website?  i can figure out how to put on a good finnish myself, but why re invent the wheel. I'd like a good recipe so to speak, on how to do it all. thanks

If you run through a lot of the threads on this site there's lots of step-by-step instructions on a number of different finishes.

Jack- so your answer is No. no website or book.    I am not gonna read all the threads and peice together a book, but thanks anyway...Besides most of the info here is pics and progress, not too much on hows , whats and whys.

There is a book by Dan Erlwine,  I'm sure you have heard of him, called Guitar Finishing, Step by Step.  I was turned onto it by Frets.com and have recently devoured it in preperation for my first attempt at finishing.  It has a lot of good info that is Guitar-centric, for instance, I can't find too much about lacquer in trditional wood finishing books, because nobody uses it anymore, except crazy Guitar guys, but this book covers it in depth.  It is a good read and really covers the Step by Step that is it's subtitle!  I have Dan's other book about setups called How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great or something like that, and it is equally good.  

Schmoo the quick recipe is like this

clean wood with naphtha
apply grain filler
dry rock hard
sand with 320
repeat that grain filler thing 3x, with last sanding at 400
dye and or tone
clearcoat 2x
burst if ya gonna
clearcoat 2x to 4x
let sit about 3 weeks
sand level with 320grit
sand more level with 600grit
trial buff out
if it looks ok and is all level and nice, just keep buffing
I've found that there's just as much buffing if you take it to 1000 or 1500 or 2000 grit like some like to
The DEFT I use can buff out fine at 600 grit, using white auto compound (Turtle wax)

If you have some issues in the finish, just 600 grit and clean with naphtha... level the offending area, give a quick reshoot, let it sit a week and relevel light with 320, then 600, the rebuff.  The idea when you reshoot is to get the area you're shooting "roughed up" a bit, so you have good melt in.  Lacquer will melt to the underlying lacquer finish, but a full gloss makes it harder for it to melt in.  Roughing just a little perfects that.

And thats it. 

When sanding flat areas, use a block - 3m, home depot
Use BEST grade non clog sandpaper
When 600 grit sanding, use (oh here's a secret) Formby's lemon oil as a sanding medium (ie wet sanding using Formbys).  Frank Ford - arguably the best guitar repairman on the planet - uses kerosene to wet sand, but the Formby's does the same, its a light oil.  Light oil is easier and clogs less than water.  Clean with naphtha before reshooting though.

Lacquer rules:
Lacquer needs to be applied to CLEAN surfaces - always clean with naphtha beforehand using a CLEAN rag
Lacquer melts into itself when reapplied - rough up the previous coat if buffed out, but new coats on old (if shot within a day or so) dont need that.
Lacquer will naturally give a little orange peel and ripple - this sands out with 600 grit wet
Lacquer will SHRINK considerably when drying.  The plastic in the lacquer will shirink as the solvents gas off.  You need to let lacquer sit at LEAST 3 weeks to get a really good dry down before leveling.
Lacquer will go "cloudy" (blush) when applied thick.  You want to use a lacquer with "no blush" added to it - DEFT has this.  Generally apply the coat so it "just begins to look wet", this will blush a little, but will clear as it dries.  Blush is trapped water vapor, but it will clear unless its really severe, or... unless you have a REALLY dark color like black or deep red mahogany.
If you get a run or drip in lacquer - just leave it.  You'll find it might just go away as the lacquer dries.  What looks terrible on wet lacquer will often dry to barely noticable, and that little run spot usually will sand level really easy and you dont have much of a problem at all.  If you try to "wipe it" when its wet, you just blew the finish, so let it dry, shrink and its a no issue.
THICK coats of lacquer take longer to dry.  That three weeks might be 3 months!  Might be 3 years!  Better to use thinnest coats possible that give you that "wet" look, and back off.  Let em dry.  Remember - solvents have to evaporate for lacquer to dry - so its hard for thick uncured finish to dry properly - the outer layer is gassed off, but under that, solvent is still trying to escape - you'll get an impossible to sand, gummy finish.  Thin coats, ample drying time are always a must.
PATIENCE is needed with lacquer.  Experience will say when you can rush it, till you got some - WAIT at least a day for coats, and WAIT at least 3 weeks for leveling, if not longer.  Makes it hard to not play with yer new toys, but ya gotta!

Books?  Read Frank Fords www.frets.com from stem to stern - every last bit of it, not just the lacquer pages.  Why?  Because he buries all his little tricks in the other fixup pages, how he does this and that to certain problems.  LEARN from the master!

Then - come here and show LOTS of pictures of yer progress, dont get impatient, and get some feedback from folks, and be willing to go slow.

LOL Guitlouie

Thanks CB, will print that and use as a guide,  I will also check out Dan Erlwines book, thanlks guys, finnishing myself will save a ton on Warmoth parts.

It's one thing to paint an EVH guitar, and quite another to finnish one as CB has

aaak the EVH stuff.... Lord....  reminds me of one of them there Frenchy artists with a no brim hat and a no soap lifestyle.

They started like this:
mondrian.gif

Tried to get fancy:
300px-Mondrian_CompRYB.jpg

Later their work evolved into a sort of PacMan thing
Mondrian_broadway_boogie-woogie.gif

But what can you expect from a guy in silk stockings and pink satin pants.  Wait, that was King Louie, nevermind.

Still have some work to do getting the burst evened out better, weather non-cooperative today; tempted to put it togther and see how it sounds...

tburst1.jpg

Back