Tele Thinline Special

I think Jack might go a little heavier on the dark red mahogany (the lighter shade I sent).  But thats just my taste.  Thing is, you can always overspray the darker edges with the transparent middle color and never really see that its been done... so experiment a bit

I'm shooting the front/back the lighter color, then the sides the darker with a burst over the edges; first attempt at a burst finish job. Current actual color is about exactly like the '61 Jr in this pic, which was the vision:

sgjr.jpg

Again, exact coloration hard to capture, as you can see I have much sanding in my future getting this burst spray down, but this should give you an idea.... It's much redder, camera/light making it look browner.

1burst001.jpg

i did the dark sides of my SG first, then the centers in ligher, and finally bursted the edges

Did the lighter front/back, then sides so any overspray just went to burst? I don't think the lighter toner color will cover the darker?

The lighter tone is transparent, and really the same "color" as the opaque darker color (only lighter).  I could notice no problems with the lighter being over the darker.. it seemed to melt right in (as it IS sort of lacquer based).

Still playing with this in between having to help with home improvement project; may wind up doing more a typical burst, and wind up just doing the lighter color in front of body and peghead...

That's part of the rigging for a #2 jib sail that is rigged from the house to the trees as a sunshade...

You sure don't want to do that; had it almost perfect, but cut the angle and oversprayed too far in the upper left quadrant; tried to daub it up, but you were right, it melts into the lighter toner underneath... No big deal, I'll nail it next time, that's why I did 4 coats of sanding sealer, figured I'd probably being sanding back to it once or twice....

UTTER fudging DISASTER! ??? :sad1: ??? :sad1: :dontknow: (we need an emoticon depicting

All I needed to do was sand back the screwup in the burstover on the front of the body and reshoot the front, but a tragic sanding accident occurred, the felt pad on the Makita ripped/tore sending the phillps head screws one one side doing a corkscrewing gouge into the body.

After beating the Makita into a mangled lump with a sledgehammer I went and bought a new hand sander, had to use #150 and take it all the way down past the filler to get the gouges out, so I'm back at square one filling again.

Lesson: Examine felt pad on hand sander often; don't buy brands that you can't easily find replacement pads for....

Neck is about ready to clear coat, still trying to decide what, if any bursting to do on it. I may just do a light burst of the darker color up the sides next to the fretboard edge and on the sides of the peghead; based on experience so far on the body I don't think I can control the aerosol can enough to burst the peghead, unless CB has another helpful hint there....

Again, digital camera makes it look browner than it is, really redder...

tneck1.jpg

tneck3.jpg

Get some color o n that neck!

I think you'll find the "even" tone rather a darker shade than what you have there.  And..... best to burst the sides first... then come back with the center.  This is not dye, so it sort of works in reverse. 

bcb7.gif

bcb4.gif

The colors you have do a fairly dark red.  You can get the center lighter - but the top pic is "reflective" due to flash. 

Another reflected flash shot

bcb2.gif

BTW, that "faded SG" special.....is a one piece mahogany, except for just a thin sliver of a lamination right at the top of the lower bout.  Go figure.  With the bursting - thats totally unseen now, so the effect is... well... neat!

And for Jack's enjoyment - the before shot, partially polished out (the polish didn't help the wimpy red color)
shine3.gif

Back