Tele-G finished...I'm done for a while....

G

guitlouie

Hello all,  I just finished putting the pieces together after finally deciding that enough Tung oil was enough.  I haven't even strung her up yet, but I really wanted to get some natural light pics before the sun went all the way down, the next couple days are supposed to be pretty dreary around here.  Anyway, I can't wait to hear this thing....here are the details for those of you who don't already know....Black Korina Thinline Tele body in a righteous Tobaccoburst.  Goncalo Alves neck with Pau Ferro fretboard, Tung oiled by yours truly.  Lollar P-90 neck, Rio Grande Genuine Texas Humbucker bridge.  6105 SS frets.  Personally I think it is gorgeous.  Hopefully I won't run into anyone with one quite like it any time soon!  Now let's see if I can post my crappy pics.....grumble grumble....

DSC00503.jpg

DSC00504.jpg

DSC00505.jpg

DSC00506.jpg

DSC00502.jpg

Did you get the body from the e-store?  Cause I'm pretty sure that's the body that I wanted to use but it was bought right before I was going to get it.  I love the guitar though.  It looks a lot better than what I was thinking of doing.

jkap, Yep, I sure did, didn't mean to snake it from you!  I had been watching that one and another black korina thinline for weeks, this one being the first choice, but I would have settled for the other.  Anyway, when the funds became available it was a Saturday, and I almost waited until Monday to call and order over the phone, but I just couldn't wait that long!  I guess I'm glad I didn't!  Anyway thanks for looking, will update some more tonight after I actually get to hear this thing!  Oh, and Nononsense, those are good old Gotoh Kluson tuners in black.  I have the same ones on the Strat and aside from them being just the tiniest bit stiff when I first got them, I have had no problem with them.

I cant find them in black, specially the locking one... I bought one thinking that might be black and was "cosmo black"...
Where did you find it?

Louie.
I'm liking that Tele.  I'd be interested to see how the Lollar P90 turns out.  Make sure you fill us in on how it sounds.

The only thing I'd have done differently is try to show off a bit more of the body, with a smaller or preferably no pickguard.  Otherwise, a beauty.

Nice work.

wow. just, wow. if it were a p90 in the bridge, i'd ask your home adress, and snitch that axe. BOY that thing ROCKS!!!!! congrats dude!

Nice to see another P90/HB combo.  Its really a sweet combination.... given the p90.. lighter ones do better.

Ok.......whew.....man....whoa.....

So,  I managed to get it all strung up, and fairly well set-up (a few minor tweaks to follow), and all I can say is Whoa!  First, without even plugging in I could tell that what I have here is something special.  The hollow/thinline body creates a really beautiful ring even sans-amplifier.  The neck feels unreal, just so super smooth and still very natural feeling with just the Tung oil.  But....plugging it in for the first time really blew me away.  The Rio needed to be raised just a bit to get a good volume match with the Lollar, but once that was done, look out!  Clean, both of these pickups sound amazing, crystal clear and glassy as can be, the p-90 being just slightly darker and moodier.  The P-90 also breaks up a little easier than the humbucker, but definitely in the good way.  Crank up, get some overdrive, and well that P-90 screams!  THe humbucker gives plenty of good old crunch and chunk, and the middle position with both of them on is pretty kick-ass too!  I think I just may have found what I was looking for. 

Oh, yeah and just to answer to a few things...Nononsense, these tuners were from Warmoth, they have them in black, but I don't think they have the locking ones of this particular model.  I've personally never really found a need for locking tuners, though, so these will do me just fine.  And jimh, well I'm just one of the minority around here who actually like pickguards.  I was a little afraid the tortoiseshell one would be a bit much, but I liked it on this body right when I opened the box.  Something about rear-routed Teles just doesn't look right to me I'm afraid.  And Orpheo, to paraphrase Charlton Heston, if you want to steal this guitar you will have to pry it from my cold dead hands!  And -CB-,  Thanks for your advice, and inspiration (P-90/HB) and I think that I have found a really sweet combo here!

Anyway, thanks everybody for looking, and for advice leading up to this one, like I said in the heading, it will probably be my last for a while, I really feel like I have all the sounds I'm looking for right now, I've got the dual Humbucker SG, the three single coil Warmoth Strat, and now this one!  I'm going to concentrate on my amplifier projects for a little while now, well, that and my other hobby of not getting killed by the wife for spending too much money on guitar stuff!

guitlouie said:
.  And jimh, well I'm just one of the minority around here who actually like pickguards.  I was a little afraid the tortoiseshell one would be a bit much, but I liked it on this body right when I opened the box.  Something about rear-routed Teles just doesn't look right to me I'm afraid.

I'm going to concentrate on my amplifier projects for a little while now,

All good dude........Just my thoughts. Did'nt mean any badness.  I love that guitar.  I wannit !
I'm an amp nut too, let us know what you're up to on that front.

that thinline is amazing! I love everything about it! the neck, even the pg.. and I usually dont like tortoiseshell!
I am extra excited because I am patiently awaiting my first thinline! and it will be very similar to yours!! goncalo neck, korina body and 2 p90s! I cant wait!! in the meantime I will be looking at the pics of your guitar! ;)

Just a little anecdote for you fellas regarding this here Thinline.  I had the chance to gig this bad boy last night.  The cranked up tone still puts a big old grin on my face.  I switch to the P-90 for just about every solo, because it sounds absolutely wicked.  Anyway, after we played we were hanging out waiting for the next band to play, and no less than three guys came up to ask about my guitar,  where I got it, what the hell is it, and how did I get it to sound so good.  Well, it just gave me further proof, as if I needed it, that off the shelf guitars are for suckers!  Anyway, I gave all three of those guys explicit instructions:  Go home, go to Warmoth.com, and get ready to sell your current guitars to finance a build.

"First, without even plugging in I could tell that what I have here is something special.  The hollow/thinline body creates a really beautiful ring even sans-amplifier."

Based on the L5S I just finished, I think doubly so with a Korina hollow body. Going to do another hollow Korina L5S with rosewood neck to spec for somebody that wanted to buy mine, and somewhere down the road - once I get all my current projects finished - will have to do a Kotrina Thinline.

Just received notification from DangerousR6, and I will be swapping out the neckplate on this one soon.  Thanks Dangerous!

Back