At long last... Introducing Valentina

bbl4ck

After many trials and tribulations, Valentina, my first Warmoth build is finally finished...  Almost; needs a set-up.

Challenge 1;  I wanted a Bigsby and all my hardware had to be black.  The Wamoth V body was too short for a Bigsby without a Vibramate install.  The Vibramate only fits the Bigsby B5 which is not available in black.
The Bigsby B500 is the black version and would not fit the Vibramate.  So, I went to a local machine shop that makes custom race car engine parts [just happened to be next door to one of my local luthiers].
They created a modified Vibramate that would fit the Bigsby B500.  I had it powder coated black, it fits perfect and works great...

Challenge 2;  I was drilling the first hole for my humbucker rings.  I had Warmoth do the black accent line between the body and top. 
The moment my drill bit hit the black composite material that makes the accent line, my drill bit snapped in half.  This forced the broken drill bit into Valentina's beautiful top creating a neatly drilled hole in her surface. 
I took her to Guitar Electronics [the folks that have all wiring diagrams online] and they fixed her right up.  They do some great work, have a fantastic staff, and I cannot say enough good things about their shop.

The Details

Body:
Flame maple over Swamp Ash - Contoured heel - 720 mod - Yellow dye top over transparent yellow back - Black accent line
Schaller roller tunematic bridge
Bigsby B500 vibrato

Neck:
Wenge w/ Jet-black ebony fingerboard
Barbed Wire custom inlay
Planet wave tuners

Electronics:
Rio Grande BBQ Bucker bridge
Rio Grande Genuine Texas neck
500K no load tone pot
Volume pots with treble bleed network
Mallory tone cap
Vintage 1957 cloth wiring

2 volume 1 tone with 3-way series - split - parallel  for each pickup

Bling-Bling
Custom neck plate by Dangerous Doug - If your axe isn't wearing neckwear by Dangerous, it ain't spit

Custom Jet Black Ebony humbucker rings, knobs, truss rod cover, and back cover.

The Pics

*Note:  In the very last pic, I took Valentina outside for a patio shot.  A hummingbird [upper right hand corner] zoomed in on Valentina the moment I started shooting pics...

**Special thanks to everyone who provided input and answered all my stupid questions along the way...

01-DSCN1114.jpg

02-DSCN0980.jpg

03-DSCN1044.jpg

04-DSCN1072.jpg

05-DSCN1058.jpg

06-DSCN1110_01.jpg

07-DSCN1120.jpg

08-DSCN1126.jpg

09-DSCN1128.jpg

up close I wasn't so sure at first, but after looking at the full finish it looks pretty sharp. Only thing i would have done differently (from an artists perspective) would have been to continue the barb wire design into the body and possibly the headstock, just to bring the whole piece together more.

Finch said:
up close I wasn't so sure at first, but after looking at the full finish it looks pretty sharp. Only thing i would have done differently (from an artists perspective) would have been to continue the barb wire design into the body and possibly the headstock, just to bring the whole piece together more.

I'm with ya' there!  That would be way cool  :headbang1:

All it takes is cash... 

Care to contribute???

lol, well you dont have to do the Inlay all the way through, I would just tack a piece of real barbed wired to the headstock, curling up between the tuners, and where possible tack some down in an out of the way place along the body, and then just painted in barbed wire between the heel of the neck, down along the pickups, and right up to the point where your real barbed wire kicks in on the body, that way you get a really bitching 3D art effect and one killer looking guitar!

How did you mount the bottom two screws on the Bigsby, Pics please.
Oh by the way looking good, love the super thin binding.

big bob said:

Hey Lance,

Check out pic 2 of Valentina. 
The Custom Vibramate screws into the studs where the tailpiece would normally be placed. 
There are 2 upper and 2 lower screws from the Bigsby that screw into the Vibramate [ can't really see the upper right screw hole on the Vibramate in this pic, but it is there ]
Locks everything down solid...

DSCN1135.jpg

Black Dog said:
big bob said:

Hey Lance,

Check out pic 2 of Valentina. 
The Custom Vibramate screws into the studs where the tailpiece would normally be placed. 
There are 2 upper and 2 lower screws from the Bigsby that screw into the Vibramate [ can't really see the upper right screw hole on the Vibramate in this pic, but it is there ]
Locks everything down solid...

DSCN1135.jpg

Oh, yes, yes.. My bad I knew that.. Nice !!

That is Cool as Hell!!!.....I just love this place...just when you think you've seen it all, and it gets routine...a guy comes along and really shakes it up.....super nice :headbang:

Love to hear your take on the Rio's when you get to playing her.....

very cool.  Looks like the neck cleaned up well after you got if back so dirty....

That's a pretty swanky Vanlentina you got there Bart, i like the mix of the old skool with a modern twist.... :kewlpics:

dmraco said:
very cool.  Looks like the neck cleaned up well after you got if back so dirty....

Yea, it's a miracle what a few heavy doses of Fret Doctor will do.
Believe me, all the scratches are still there; they are just heavily medicated with the Dr.
I still plan on having my local dude clean up the fretboard. 

Be cool and everyone have a wonderful holiday season...  :hello2: :blob7: :hello2:

Oh man! That is sweet!
I can tell that this place is not going to help subdue my Warmoth GAS much.

Holy guacamole.  I'm not a "V guy" normally but that's a beaut  :icon_thumright:

Back