superwide fatback

midge333

I just started learning to play the guitar. I am currently playing a stratocaster. I have very large hands - 2XL gloves are on the small side. I would like to replace my neck with a warmoth superwide. My initial thought was a fatback neck profile. Has anybody done this and is willing to comment on their experience? Thanks!

I have large hands too. One of my Warmoth necks has a 2-3/4" nut width and is a Fatback with 6100 stainless frets. It's my favorite of any I have. If you have big hands, a nice baseball bat neck can be very comfortable.

Welcome to the board, midge333!

My hands aren't as big as yours, but they are big my experience has been with bass guitars. I was really struggling with standard width so I got a superwide Strat neck in the standard thin profile. It is definitely more comfortable!

Michael

Note to self: don't engage in a slap fight with @midge333, @triple jim, or @Michaelga.

113898a6-9d81-4893-8ee0-548ebb17e7d0-AP21078617836414.jpg

Any pics? I’ve got a 1-11/16” fatback that is surprisingly comfortable for me. The only 1-3/4” I have is Wizard thin, and not my thing (I need to sell it) but I feel like if it was a lot fatter I’d like it too.

I have an odd desire just to hold a Superwide Fatback to see how big it is.

So far I am really happy with it. Open chords are so much easier now. Honestly, I think I would like the superwide standard thin as well but I have never played one. Sorry, I am not much of a photographer.

Attachments

• strat.jpg
    strat.jpg
    853.3 KB · Views: 13
  • strat2.jpg
    strat2.jpg
    747.1 KB · Views: 13
So far I am really happy with it. Open chords are so much easier now. Honestly, I think I would like the superwide standard thin as well but I have never played one. Sorry, I am not much of a photographer.
Although it probably wasn't part of the rationale here, I do prefer the look of the wide neck having a more similar width at the nut and heel/bridge. The more an instrument tapers to the nut (Jazz Bass), the more it annoys me looks-wise, even though I prefer the feel.

Superwide Fatback ... good band name, maybe a song title ...
Actually looove the superwide. Plenty of room for my fat fingers. On the 1 3/4 I gotta make sure my nails are filed. Anything smaller, it's cramped.

Back