Starting a super light weight 7/8th Strat build; seeking build advice. How to get there?

7-8 4ever

Excuse the bit of initial ramble here.
So many question about parts and process.
Do I request an extra light body from ’Warmoth support’, make a phone call?
Should I try Chambered- the final paint is to be Red or Black Holo Flake though.
In terms of weight goals I Saw a 3.5lb 7/8 Strat body here @ 3.56 lbs, looking at a Painted Candy red @ 4lbs in the online shop now. My Ichika Ibanez Q52 is 5 lbs and feels like a Ball cap you could wear all day. I’m 63 so the back likes that.
Google tells me Poplar, Alder, Basswood have light densities but the variability over the small volume of a guitar body swamps the general spec. So experience is probably a better gauge.
Any input appreciated on: Lightest wood core type, poly- paint option; light weight tuners/ bridge options- light hardware in general.
I’m using a 24 inch Mustang neck on my usual builds, this is number 4.
Thanks

If you're buying from the showcase get whatever floats your boat.
If you're ordering special then consider:
1) Upcharge for extra light body
2) Upcharge for chambering
3) My experience is, on average, the lightest wood is alder
4) Plastic tuning buttons rather than metal
5) Smallest strap lock buttons, probably schaller locking
6) Paint is so thin it doesn't matter, but if you have OCD just a couple wipes with some thin oil finish
7) Go for a light bridge, you'll just have to contact the manufacturers as to weight. Probably an american std, and replace the saddles with tusq.
8) Go for light pickups, again check with manufacturer, with no pick up cover.

If you're buying from the showcase get whatever floats your boat.
If you're ordering special then consider:
1) Upcharge for extra light body
2) Upcharge for chambering
3) My experience is, on average, the lightest wood is alder
4) Plastic tuning buttons rather than metal
5) Smallest strap lock buttons, probably schaller locking
6) Paint is so thin it doesn't matter, but if you have OCD just a couple wipes with some thin oil finish
7) Go for a light bridge, you'll just have to contact the manufacturers as to weight. Probably an american std, and replace the saddles with tusq.
8) Go for light pickups, again check with manufacturer, with no pick up cover.
Ah, some good details- pickup covers, synth/non metal saddles, tuning buttons- maybe even non locking tuners, and Alder.
looking at the bridge material options now.
Thanks.

Poplar or basswood, chambered, have Warmoth pick an extra light piece. Maybe even ask nicely for an extra, extra light piece. If you want to get crazy, RockRabbit sells pretty much every piece of hardware you’d need for your build in titanium - saddles, bridge plate, neck plate, etc.

Tuners, look for an open back design with a plastic/pearloid button instead of metal, no locking mechanisms. I imagine Sperzels ceaseless are probably some of the lightest, at least since Gotoh discontinued the Stealth line.

Neck-wise, mahogany will be lighter than maple for the back of the neck, but I think it’s a crapshoot on fretboard materials. Rosewood maybe? Something more exotic?

The lightest body I own is a 2lb 10oz pine Telecaster - but to be clear, it’s the ‘49 spec, 1.5” thick body, not the standard 1.75”. And the pine is a nice piece, some pine can be VERY heavy. I have the same experience with Ash and Alder, but I’ve never picked up a heavy basswood guitar.

Poplar or basswood, chambered, have Warmoth pick an extra light piece. Maybe even ask nicely for an extra, extra light piece. If you want to get crazy, RockRabbit sells pretty much every piece of hardware you’d need for your build in titanium - saddles, bridge plate, neck plate, etc.

Tuners, look for an open back design with a plastic/pearloid button instead of metal, no locking mechanisms. I imagine Sperzels ceaseless are probably some of the lightest, at least since Gotoh discontinued the Stealth line.

Neck-wise, mahogany will be lighter than maple for the back of the neck, but I think it’s a crapshoot on fretboard materials. Rosewood maybe? Something more exotic?

The lightest body I own is a 2lb 10oz pine Telecaster - but to be clear, it’s the ‘49 spec, 1.5” thick body, not the standard 1.75”. And the pine is a nice piece, some pine can be VERY heavy. I have the same experience with Ash and Alder, but I’ve never picked up a heavy basswood guitar.
Huge thanks, I needed some manufacturer info to price get some pricing started.

Body: Basswood or Paulownia (tho I don't think Warmoth has Paulownia).
Extra upcharge 'lightest available' Basswood probably your best bet from Warmoth :)
Roasted maple neck could be a bit lighter than plain??
I forgot to ask for "extra light" but my recent 7/8 strat basswood body is quite light anyway... (Still not assembled, way behind on projects here!) :oops:

I did a chambered basswood body on my jazzmaster and paid the $40 upcharge for them to pick the lightest piece. A jazzmaster is a large guitar and it came out to 3.25lbs. Basically perfect for me. With a floyd, and a 3 pickups and locking tuners the whole build clocks in at just under 8 pounds which is what I really wanted.

I would likely order something like a chambered roasted alder body, pay for lightweight.

The bridge should be a hardtail of some kind they will weigh in about the 0.5 pounds for a bent plate and steel block saddles. Then get some ultra light tuners, I know that Sperzel and Hibshot make them.

The other thing to consider is a single action truss rod. I know that seems counter intuitive but it will be lighter than a dual action. You may not be able to get the from Warmoth but Fender Mustang/Duo Sonic necks out of Mexico are single acting. You would likely need the Hipshots with the UMP plate to mount the tuners.

Hope this helps.

Back