Showcase delivery

po_0784

I ordered a neck from the showcase. It needs to be finished and fretted (both done by warmoth). Just from past experiences, how long did it takes for you guys to get the goods  :dontknow:. I'm anxious and I feel childish  :binkybaby:. Thanks for the input guys!

i am not sure about fretting, but it took them 4 weeks to finish mine and install the nut

its an excruciating wait, but just be patient. its going to be well worth the wait in the end.

what kind of neck did you order?

It is a vintage modern, maple / kingwood with graphtec nut and SS6100 frets... for a shred-o-caster (with Texas special's p/u). Schaller lockings tuners..
I like everything about Fender strats (sound, feel, look), except the usual cheapo hardware (I know, its subjective and a matter of taste) : i.e  baby frets and 1:1 ratio tuners.

I was gonna buy a scalloped neck since I got already 2 guitars with them (originally, it was a special medic solution for the baby frets symptom, economic too since I do it myself!). But with time, I got so much used to my standard Ibanez RG7 neck, that I wasn't sure anymore about it. I like it : skyscrapper frets, good feeling neck, well made... I might scallop it in the future... it suffered already from 2 fret leveling and it may be get into the "baby frets" zone soon enough  :sad1:. I do the scallop at home, less expansive than a refret  :icon_thumright:

po_0784 said:
It is a vintage modern, maple / kingwood with graphtec nut and SS6100 frets... for a shred-o-caster (with Texas special's p/u). Schaller lockings tuners..
I like everything about Fender strats (sound, feel, look), except the usual cheapo hardware (I know, its subjective and a matter of taste) : i.e  baby frets and 1:1 ratio tuners.

I was gonna buy a scalloped neck since I got already 2 guitars with them (originally, it was a special medic solution for the baby frets symptom, economic too since I do it myself!). But with time, I got so much used to my standard Ibanez RG7 neck, that I wasn't sure anymore about it. I like it : skyscrapper frets, good feeling neck, well made... I might scallop it in the future... it suffered already from 2 fret leveling and it may be get into the "baby frets" zone soon enough  :sad1:. I do the scallop at home, less expansive than a refret  :icon_thumright:

Nice, how do you scallop your fretboard? How long does it take? Any pics?

I have to say that kingwood makes for the most beautiful fret boards.  I have a telecaster with one and it always gets compliments.

SrDeMaFp said:
Nice, how do you scallop your fretboard? How long does it take? Any pics?

Sorry, dont have any pics of it  :-\. I just use simple wood and metal rasps.... And a dremel :p. Masking tape for the frets... The problem is, it is extremely long and boring to do and it totally desintegrate your forearm. If I wanted another, I would just buy from warmoth. TOTALLY worth the money hehe. I thought that the truss rod would break its way out of the fretboard  :sad: at some time or another. But it never happened and the scallop is not that deep. No way like the malmsteen signature (my fingertips don't need 1cm of clearance under the string lol).

I don't really see any problem with scalloped fretboards. Some people argue that a scalloped fretboard might cause you to sharp notes. To sound out of tune. Well, if you have this problem on a scalloped fretboard, you will get into the same kind of troubles with tall frets.

if you guys want to scallop your fretboards, theres a guy named Randy Ciak that does it:
http://www.randyciak.com/guitar/

i was going to have the last couple of frets on my Line6 Variax Bass 700 partially scalloped to improve my access to them.

David said:
I have to say that kingwood makes for the most beautiful fret boards.  I have a telecaster with one

At least one of the most beautiful; I love the one on my tele, also.

Takes them about a week or two to get a showcase neck out, if finishing is needed then add 4 more week.

line6man said:
i was going to have the last couple of frets on my Line6 Variax Bass 700 partially scalloped to improve my access to them.

It is exactly the place where it matters the most (think Ibanez JEM). Why? Because in the upper register you have 2 kinds of problem : fingers dragging on fretboard and fingers dragging on the frets! Maybe I should have taken the "half scallop" option from warmoth  :( . A good in between. But I really wanted a neck with a simple truss rod on top of the headstock...

Seems like my shred/prog past will never fade away  :laughing7:

I think it took my neck 4-6 weeks.  I forget.  I remember it getting there faster than I expected, but it was still a few weeks.

po_0784 said:
line6man said:

It is exactly the place where it matters the most (think Ibanez JEM). Why? Because in the upper register you have 2 kinds of problem : fingers dragging on fretboard and fingers dragging on the frets! Maybe I should have taken the "half scallop" option from warmoth  :( . A good in between. But I really wanted a neck with a simple truss rod on top of the headstock...

Seems like my shred/prog past will never fade away  :laughing7:

i just wanted the last 2 frets scalloped on the treble side only because the cutaway was not deep enough for me to reach the 21st fret...

does warmoth do a partial scallop (as in scallop on the treble side only)

only 2 frets ? on the treble side? I would do it myself, wouldnt take more than a halfhour to get it perfect. Take a wood rasp, work safe, and have fun  :icon_thumright: .

(most people will tell you to not do it, but I dont trust luthier in general from bad exp.)

po_0784 said:
only 2 frets ? on the treble side? I would do it myself, wouldnt take more than a halfhour to get it perfect. Take a wood rasp, work safe, and have fun  :icon_thumright: .

(most people will tell you to not do it, but I dont trust luthier in general from bad exp.)

this instrument really means alot to me (i have my reasons...) so theres no way that i am going to destroy it by doing a DIY scallop job...

i am sort of going for this kind of thing:

You could use a router, almost, I think.
Maybe.

*hides before getting shot down over risks of using a router on the neck of a guitar*

Max said:
*hides before getting shot down over risks of using a router on the neck of a guitar*

thats right, you better hide! LOL

randy ciak was telling me that warmoth uses a (dremel drill kind of thing) for scalloping, and it just goes straight across.
but with the files, you can keep the radius of the neck in the scallops.

i am not sure exactly how the radius works on a partial scallop...
the partial scallop he does is more of a slant across the fret, from normal at the bass side, down to a scallop at the treble side.

I was thinking about Billy Sheenan too  :laughing7:. Honestly, I dont see the point of following the original radius? Since you dont touch the fingerboard, who cares about radius? The frets themselves still follow the radius. I can understand you dont want to try this yourself. But believe me, its really a BASIC job. If someone ask you big bucks to do it, think about it. Its just 2 holes in the wood.

Actually, for this kind of scallop (partial), I would use only a dremel. Also give you less finishing and sanding to do by hand. Anyway, just my 2 cents. Good luck with the project

po_0784 said:
I was thinking about Billy Sheenan too  :laughing7:. Honestly, I dont see the point of following the original radius? Since you dont touch the fingerboard, who cares about radius? The frets themselves still follow the radius. I can understand you dont want to try this yourself. But believe me, its really a BASIC job. If someone ask you big bucks to do it, think about it. Its just 2 holes in the wood.

Actually, for this kind of scallop (partial), I would use only a dremel. Also give you less finishing and sanding to do by hand. Anyway, just my 2 cents. Good luck with the project

actually, i have tried a dremel drill for something similar.

i was going to route out a slot for the truss rod adjustment on the squier body i am using for my fretless...
i practiced a million times on pieces of scrap wood trying to get a nice slot.
its just too difficult to be worth the effort.
just one slip of the drill and you have defaced it.
and its a pain in the ass trying to get the round shape just right.

Back