The thrill of the showcase

Cheery Zeery

Might have been raised before, but I still want to talk about it. There's a *thrill* to seeing something emerge from the showcase that you didn't know you wanted but definitely now want. For me, it's always gonna be necks that have a painted headstock. I continue to patiently wait for one neck in particular to appear -- doesn't have to be any specific type of neck (it could be a V-profile neck with an Arcade headstock and a floyd rose nut slot!), it need only fill one criteria, and that is to have a fiesta red headstock. The second I see one, I'm buying it!

And yes, I see you Aaron, I know it'd be faster to just order a neck that I actually want, but that's not the point! The showcase just hits different. I don't know what I want, usually, and the showcase does a tremendous job of stoking my curiosity and making wonder how a specific combination of features would feel. Something about a neck that catches your eye, with features you weren't expecting, just manifesting into existence, without any input on your end...that's exciting.

While I continue waiting for a day that may never come (not complaining!), what are you waiting to see emerge? Anything that you'll buy on sight?

For me it’s finishes I would never have considered. I’ve gotten all Fendery lately and have started leaning towards solid finishes, but occasionally I see a gorgeous piece of flame maple with a Caribbean Burst that makes my wallet quake.

I've gotten really fussy about necks in recent years, but still could be swayed by a neck made with the right piece of quilted maple ( my very first warmoth neck circa 1999 or so was a strat neck - solid quilt maple with gloss finish - grabbed from the showcase) :D

It's a wonderful medieval movie starring Heath Ledger in a classic fake-it-til-you-make-it story about jousting. It's full of anachronisms and has no right to be as good as it is.

It's a wonderful medieval movie starring Heath Ledger in a classic fake-it-til-you-make-it story about jousting. It's full of anachronisms and has no right to be as good as it is.

This is it, exactly.

By any measure it should not be as good a movie as it is. It has been weighed, it has been measured, and it has been found wanting.

And yet, it tilts when it should withdraw, and that is knightly too.

I suddenly want to do a custom build. I'm thinking a green Tele body, trimmed in a kind of pale green, with wooden toggles.

I suddenly want to do a custom build. I'm thinking a green Tele body, trimmed in a kind of pale green, with wooden toggles.
A green knight build...I can't say I dislike the idea. The degree to which I like it (because liking it is a certainty) probably would be in the execution.

That said, I sit patiently for that one special neck to come through. It's gonna be my day one of these days.

(If any of you see a neck with a fiesta red headstock on the showcase before I do, please write in this thread here so I know)

A green knight build...I can't say I dislike the idea. The degree to which I like it (because liking it is a certainty) probably would be in the execution.

That said, I sit patiently for that one special neck to come through. It's gonna be my day one of these days.

(If any of you see a neck with a fiesta red headstock on the showcase before I do, please write in this thread here so I know)

I so completely and utterly hijacked your thread! :)

Anyway, I won't say that a neck with a Fiesta Red headstock will never show up in the showcase, but it is never-adjacent. A custom order cancellation is about your only hope.

I say this because doing so often means one will show up tomorrow.

Fingers crossed!

I'm not gonna complain about someone else drooling over a build idea in a guitar forum in a thread called "the thrill of the showcase". Otherwise I'd have titled it "The thrill of Cheery Zeery's mythical fiesta red headstock".

I do love looking for patterns in the showcase though. There's one I have begun to notice. See, I purchased a mahogany Warmoth neck many moons ago (you'll know the one Aaron), with a candy apple red CBS strat headstock, Gibson scale length, jumbo SS frets, etc. etc. A neck showed up a few months ago that was identical specs, except it was super flamed maple and had a lake placid blue headstock. Everything else was functionally identical to the one I purchased, even down to the neck profile. Recently another neck with a painted headstock appeared, again with Gibson scale length, jumbo SS frets, but this time it's roasted maple with a Wizard neck profile and a Warhead headstock and a shell pink finish. If the trend is to be believed, when my neck appears, it may display some of these characteristics.

Sometimes I wish we could see all the necks historically sold by Warmoth. It'd be wonderful fodder for inspiration to know what previously showed up in the showcase.

Sometimes I wish we could see all the necks historically sold by Warmoth. It'd be wonderful fodder for inspiration to know what previously showed up in the showcase.

Looking for patterns in chaos!

image-asset.jpeg

Sill waiting for a double black bound, silver flake, extra light tele body to show up in the showcase...

... thinking I might be waiting for Godot...

Back