Rubio Monocoat?

jposega

Hi all,

I just ordered a short scale Z body from the Showcase, which has a beautiful swamp ash top over alder.

My last build was an extra-light swamp ash body which I finished with Minwax Wipe-on Poly. I'm not a master builder and I live in a small apartment in Los Angeles without much outdoor space (and even if I could work outdoors, the air quality is poop so I'd end up with a smog-dusted finish).

I'm considering applying Rubio Monocoat to the body because it looks dead simple to apply

I've seen a few instruments done with this product, and lots of furniture, both indoor and outdoor. They've got a lot of great colors.

I have not personally used it but it looks like it could provide a good result. I would be keen to test some out when I have a suitable project.

stratamania said:
I have not personally used it but it looks like it could provide a good result. I would be keen to test some out when I have a suitable project.
They sell 20mL sample bottles, so I'll probably order a couple of those.

I should email Warmoth and ask if they can send a piece of scrap wood with my body that I can test finishes on.

You might have better luck sourcing your scraps locally, it's only recently that I saw warmoth sending scraps.  I guess that's new thing.  I suppose easier than sending pickguard swatches. 

rick2 said:
You might have better luck sourcing your scraps locally, it's only recently that I saw warmoth sending scraps.  I guess that's new thing.  I suppose easier than sending pickguard swatches.

Spike from Warmoth got back to me and said they can send one piece of wood with an order, so I asked for a piece of swamp ash. Now I've got to figure out what finish ideas to test!

rick2 said:

Pickguard swatches are sent from a different location apparently, which is probably why they are US postal addresses only. Which is why wood offcuts are probably easier to add to a shipping box with a body.

I used Rubio Monocoat to finish a pine body once when I first started doing partscasters.
I really liked how it turned out.
Easy to apply, smells like French fries.

My advice , other than practice on scrap, which you have covered, is to not  over sand the wood.
I went to 400 and should have stopped at 220, maybe 180.

The final result felt awesome though.
Sorry, no pics to share.

I finished an end table set, built from mahogany and I used "Pure" (clear) Rubio + catalyst. It really was one coat but when I tested it beforehand, I ended up sanding my tables to P600 grit. Because it's only one coat, it shows ALL imperfections and sanding scratches.

I would suggest you get the sample 20ml bottle and test. You don't need catalyst for testing, just be aware it takes 2 to 3 weeks to cure without catalyst.

Also this product is very low sheen, no gloss at all.

Back