Seventh Jam of a Seventh Jam - 70bpm - everyone can play at 70bpm, right?

Fiddling about with sound settings to get inspired, because my playing certainly doesn't go anywhere. Not the backing track's "fault" really, I'm just not getting anywhere with this one. My playing is way too samey and it's difficult to listen to it. Will hopefully cheer up during the weekend...

Justinginn said:
Yeah so every time someone starts a UW jam I say I'm about to do it but then never get around to it. I've been so busy the last couple weeks after getting back from the states and I haven't gotten my recording stuff back from my ex-band yet so I'll ahve to sit out 'till next one.  :-\

It's only the 7th one (in four months) - I'm sure you'll find time some year.  :laughing7:

I'll be away next week when the mix comes out but I'm liking what has been submitted so far.

sweet  :icon_thumright:

I thought by the response to this track on the first page that there would be a least a couple of more people getting in on it...

still 4+ days left....

GoDrex said:

I thought by the response to this track on the first page that there would be a least a couple of more people getting in on it...

still 4+ days left....

Well, 4 days is a lot of time & it doesn't take that long to knock out a 1 min solo, so there is still hope...

I'm actually rather surprised as too how little a turn out we get per Jam. I would've thought we'd get 10-20 each time since there are so many guitar fanatics on the board & recording software being so cheap & in a lot of cases, free online.

Doughboy said:
GoDrex said:

still 4+ days left....

Well, 4 days is a lot of time & it doesn't take that long to knock out a 1 min solo, so there is still hope...

I'm actually rather surprised as too how little a turn out we get per Jam. I would've thought we'd get 10-20 each time since there are so many guitar fanatics on the board & recording software being so cheap & in a lot of cases, free online.

The big cost is all the other gear needed - some sort of audio interface, amp+mic or modeling software etc.

I still have zero inspiration and not much free time. I may not have much time to try to do this until monday evening.

kboman said:
Doughboy said:
GoDrex said:

still 4+ days left....

The big cost is all the other gear needed - some sort of audio interface, amp+mic or modeling software etc.

I still have zero inspiration and not much free time. I may not have much time to try to do this until monday evening.

Actually, cost is not the problem, really. I use Guitar Tracks Pro 3 which sells for $30 & it comes with full digital recording & a built in amp modulator & drum loops. There are also a lot of freeware recording programs out there that you can use as well.

Now, the inspiration & time part, that's another story. My advice would be to start another Warmoth build for instant inspiration. Nothing makes me want to play, like a new guitar.

Doughboy said:
Actually, cost is not the problem, really. I use Guitar Tracks Pro 3 which sells for $30 & it comes with full digital recording & a built in amp modulator & drum loops. There are also a lot of freeware recording programs out there that you can use as well.

Now, the inspiration & time part, that's another story. My advice would be to start another Warmoth build for instant inspiration. Nothing makes me want to play, like a new guitar.

I guess it all depends on what you want out of the interface itself - I got a pretty good one because I need to record vocals in the future and I'd like it to produce good enough results to not need a full blown studio for quite some time.

I currently need an ES-335 type guitar with a bigsby bridge, so that's what I'm saving for at the moment. I know exactly what kind of Warmoth I'll start out with, but I don't really need it at the moment... But I know what you mean :)

Finally managed to pull something out of my ass at the last minute. I liked the backing track but couldn't come up with anything really good to play over it, so it took a while. This must be take 20+ or something...

Mixdown: http://www.mediafire.com/?pw54aq0o5jmernt

Solo: http://www.mediafire.com/?5thpl1832kcgdfi

Don't forget the gear spec guys! This is the neck pickup on my Swede, with a pretty clean GR4 patch where the signal goes into a tube screamer, splits into an AC30 and a Twin reverb and joins before a Space echo. I played with my thumb, as usual when I'm not feeling really comfortable.

Looking forward the mix, haven't heard a note of the other contributions yet!

I am still trying to figure out how to get it into the computer, got the software, I think, just getting it off the 16 track is giving me trouble

Jusatele said:
I am still trying to figure out how to get it into the computer, got the software, I think, just getting it off the 16 track is giving me trouble

Use the import file function & then just click on the backign track & it will automatically load onto your recording program.

Well I guess this jam is done. I was expecting at least a couple more people to put up solos but we only got 6 - which is seems to be the usual amount. The usual suspects, plus newbie jimh who did an extended solo (which I used in full with a little something extra at the end fade out). It think it turned out pretty good.  :icon_thumright:

here's the order:
Panthur
GoDrex
djf67
Doughboy
kboman
jimh

http://www.wfzr.net/warmoth/Unofficial_Warmoth_Jam_7.mp3

Ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  Nice harmony at the end.  Nice one Gary  :hello2:

:icon_thumright:
:eek:ccasion14: 

Really good solos this time around & some great tones.  :icon_thumright:

I'd love to find out what everyone used for their solos & it would be cool for each soloist to give us a run down of their gear with each submission for all future tracks as well.

Wow. That was great! I'm very humbled, and happy to be allowed to be part of this group of players. Beautiful fade out too.

(I'm feeling a bit better about my solo now - I can really tell I was tired, missed my girlfriend and had a splitting headache...)

Doughboy said:
Really good solos this time around & some great tones.  :icon_thumright:

I'd love to find out what everyone used for their solos & it would be cool for each soloist to give us a run down of their gear with each submission for all future tracks as well.

Well I always use my Fender Cyber Deluxe straight out the stereo outputs to the line in on my computer's soundcard. Sounds ok. I guess it would be better with better D/A converter but I don't have one yet and it's low on my list. I used the "Modern British" setting which is supposed to be a newer Marshall type of sound. I used a lot of reverb and delay and some compression. I also added some "tape delay" to my solo later in the mix, via the WatKat VST plugin that SuperLizard posted about here a while back. I love how that things sounds. It's better than any of the delay effects I've tried in Audtion. I thought about using it on some other solos but then didn't want to mess with the sound of the solo's that weren't mine, since I already do some minor EQ tweaking and other stuff to the tracks.

I've found that I can take all of the solos and normalize them all to the same peak level, but I still will need to make level adjustments. I later found out that I could make some EQ changes in the mix and it really helps. Usually some tracks will need a slight mid boost to be able to cut through without being to loud for the mix.

GoDrex said:
Doughboy said:
Really good solos this time around & some great tones.  :icon_thumright:

Well I always use my Fender Cyber Deluxe straight out the stereo outputs to the line in on my computer's soundcard. Sounds ok. I guess it would be better with better D/A converter but I don't have one yet and it's low on my list. I used the "Modern British" setting which is supposed to be a newer Marshall type of sound. I used a lot of reverb and delay and some compression. I also added some "tape delay" to my solo later in the mix, via the WatKat VST plugin that SuperLizard posted about here a while back. I love how that things sounds. It's better than any of the delay effects I've tried in Audtion. I thought about using it on some other solos but then didn't want to mess with the sound of the solo's that weren't mine, since I already do some minor EQ tweaking and other stuff to the tracks.

I've found that I can take all of the solos and normalize them all to the same peak level, but I still will need to make level adjustments. I later found out that I could make some EQ changes in the mix and it really helps. Usually some tracks will need a slight mid boost to be able to cut through without being to loud for the mix.

I like your tone in that it's not fuzzy or super overdriven, but there is still a lot of sustain & rich harmonic overtones which jump out.

It's amazing what can be done going direct in now a days. When I started home recording way back in the day, state of the art was a Fostex X-15 4 track & a Rockman. If you had that, you were cutting edge.

Back