Wish me luck

hannaugh

Master Member
I've been trying to get into writing my own songs for several years now, and it seems I always only end up with a partial song because either I totally have ADD and don't know it, or deep down I'm afraid of failure, so I never finish anything because then it can't suck because it's always still a "work in progress". 

On friday I went to this Andrew Bird show, and it was amazing.  I've seen him play 5 times, but this was a totally different type of show because it wasn't really advertised except for people on the mailing list of the tiny tiny theater that hosted it.  He played by himself after having taken a long break from performing, and he only played brand new songs (he was literally saying things like "I wrote this yesterday, and it's not done) or songs that he hasn't played in 10 years.  Needless to say, there were some mistakes, some of the songs he only played part of and then he would say "that's all I have".  It was absolutely fascinating that this guy that I've admired for years for his musicianship and his songwriting skills could just get up in front of people and not be afraid of screwing up.  Some of them he just completely forgot either what he was supposed to be playing or what the lyrics were, or he messed up with his looping system and would end up looping the wrong thing or looping it in slow-mo.  I think it's safe to say that he was writing (or re-writing) some of these songs on the spot too.  It didn't matter that they weren't perfect to him because he was sharing the process with us.  It was really, really cool.

Usually when I go see him, I leave the theater enthralled but also slightly depressed because it always makes me realize that there are many people (but especially him) that have infinitely more talent than I do.  But this show was so much more human... he didn't seem like he had super powers this time.  The music was still amazing, but he did mess up a bunch, and stuff wasn't finished.  So that pretty much just gave me a huge amount of inspiration to stop wasting my time and write some stuff and actually finish it. 

So here is my challenge to jumpstart me into finding my process and get more comfortable with writing:

2 Week Challenge

- One song sketch per day.  It doesn't have to have all the instrumentation figured out, but it has to have a melody and a chord progression with all the song's parts.  No more "I'll figure out a bridge later."

- I'm not allowed to judge the song until after I have the whole thing written down or recorded, after the two weeks is over. 

- I'm not allowed to compare myself to others' work. 

- It's okay if the songs completely suck.  This is just practice, nobody needs to know if I wrote something crappy.  I can write something better later.

- No using computers or recording a bunch of stuff with software right now.  I can do that later.  Right now it's just about getting the basic structure of the songs out.  I'm using my little handheld recorder and my Loop Station and taking notes with pen and paper.  If I get into using the software, I'll waste a lot of time and probably not get things finished. 

- No listening to cds or mp3s.  If I'm driving somewhere, I can make up my own song in my head. 

- Limited time on the internet.  I waste too much time doing that as it is. 

- I have to use all my instruments at least once during this 2 week period.  Guitars, uke, banjos, bass, keyboard, and various simple wind instruments I have around the house from when I played a lot of Irish music. 

- I don't have to write lyrics yet, I just have to have the vocal melody figured out. 

So that's it.  In two weeks I hope to have 14 song sketches I can work with and figure out instrumentation.  Then I'll record them at my friend's house.  She has a nice home studio, way better than mine. 

The hardest thing is going to be not listening to cds.  I'll suck it up though.  Mr. Bird gave up listening to other people's music for a year when he started his solo career, and that turned out very, very well for him. 

Very cool idea, I'm just not sure about the part of "all instruments around", specially having many different kinds...

But go there and kick ass!

I don't have to use all of them on every song, I just have to use each one at least once during the 2 weeks.

hannaugh said:
I don't have to use all of them on every song, I just have to use each one at least once during the 2 weeks.

Yes, but means that you'll have to make songs that have a place for wind instruments, etc... perhaps  would be easier to focus on the base of the songs and those things be something like the chocolate over the cake ^^

That's a really great idea. I suffer similar songwriting anguish, so I may just steal some bits of your approach, if you don't mind.  :laughing7: Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

man, I saw Andrew Bird on someone's recommendation last year at Radio City Music Hall. I wasn't even familiar with any of his music at the time. It was probably one of the best shows I've ever seen. I walked out of there feeling so inspired and motivated. He's amazing.
Talent is overrated. I think real talent is just a person that never quits

dNA, the first time I ever heard of him was when he opened for The Decemberists at The Hollywood Bowl.  He's been my favorite artist ever since.  I try to explain what his shows are like, but it's unexplainable unless you've actually been to one.  I actually met him and got to talk to him after the show on Friday.  He's really nice.  We talked about the horn amps... and hats.  It was kind of random, but so, so cool. 

Just out of curiosity, does anyone want to do this challenge with me?  Obviously, you can tweak the rules to suit your needs, but a song a day for 2 weeks.  How bout it?  Anyone?

hannaugh said:
Just out of curiosity, does anyone want to do this challenge with me?  Obviously, you can tweak the rules to suit your needs, but a song a day for 2 weeks.  How bout it?  Anyone?

You're on bucko.

hannaugh said:
dNA, the first time I ever heard of him was when he opened for The Decemberists at The Hollywood Bowl.  He's been my favorite artist ever since.  I try to explain what his shows are like, but it's unexplainable unless you've actually been to one.  I actually met him and got to talk to him after the show on Friday.  He's really nice.  We talked about the horn amps... and hats.  It was kind of random, but so, so cool. 

Whoa! He opened for the Decemberists huh? That must have been an amazing show. I saw them at Radio City like two or three weeks later - great show too. I think Bird was a little more surreal, but The Decemberists kick ASS. I've seen them 3 times and they killed it every time.

hannaugh said:

Seems like a lot to accomplish in two weeks but its a fantastic idea/concept.  Good luck!

dNA said:
hannaugh said:

Whoa! He opened for the Decemberists huh? That must have been an amazing show. I saw them at Radio City like two or three weeks later - great show too. I think Bird was a little more surreal, but The Decemberists kick ASS. I've seen them 3 times and they killed it every time.

It was The Decemberists with the LA Phil backing the up.  Andrew Bird by himself is amazing, but Andrew Bird PLUS The Decemberists w/ an orchestra was pretty epic.  The only crappy thing was they didn't play very long because there is a strict noise curfew in the Hollywood Hills.  But Crane Wife 1 with the orchestra was one of the best songs I've heard live.

hannaugh said:
It was The Decemberists with the LA Phil backing the up.  Andrew Bird by himself is amazing, but Andrew Bird PLUS The Decemberists w/ an orchestra was pretty epic.  The only crappy thing was they didn't play very long because there is a strict noise curfew in the Hollywood Hills.  But Crane Wife 1 with the orchestra was one of the best songs I've heard live.

First time I saw them, they were playing with a 50 piece orchestra at The Mann Center in Philly. Three words: "Mariner's Revenge Song."

This sort of reminds me of Brendan Smalls song writing in Metalocalypse.  Certainly he doesn't really write a full song for the episode, but he has the theme of the episode, and about 3 hours to get the riffs he has been screwing around with in order.  If it doesn't work, he moves to the next idea.  Then some one will tell him that they need vocals, and the same process happens for about 45 minutes on the vocal track.  Anything that doesn't pass the cool test gets tossed into the extra bin and he tries something else.  There is not enough time to worry about how great it is, just go with the first impression of good or not and move on.  Very neat idea for practice.
Patrick

I will give you 50 PR points if you write a song about cheese today.  I know you don't need lyrics for your songs, but make an exception!  This could be the birth of genius!

-Mark

Back