Recessed Gotoh 510 cavity

I think for some, it's more for the low profile of the saddles perpendicular to the body.
The entire baseplate of my my Gotoh Floyd is submerged with the baseplate surface parallel to the body surface.  I rarely pull up, but I have enough to pull up 1.5 steps on the G string if I want to.

but i still don't understand what the point is for a not-floyd. pulling up on a non-lcoking trem is bound to throw you all kinds of out of tune. they're not ment to do that.

so they want the saddles perpendiculous to the body.... for the looks?

BroccoliRob said:
but i still don't understand what the point is for a not-floyd. pulling up on a non-lcoking trem is bound to throw you all kinds of out of tune. they're not ment to do that.

Not necessarily.  I've played EBMM JPM's that I couldn't for the life of me pull out of tune because they were set up so well, and I've played Floyds that couldn't stay in tune because of a poor setup.

I have a Charvel DK24 on my workbench as we speak that won't yank out of tune because it is set up quite well.  It's in for a pickup swap to Dimarzio's. 

BroccoliRob said:

so they want the saddles perpendiculous to the body.... for the looks?
I disagree. My most recent example is a Brian May.  Uses a Wilkinson Wave (basically their 100)
I have not touched the factory setup on this Korean assembled Guitar and it will reliably go 1.5 steps up.

The Wilkinson Semi Recessed rout has a good possibility that a 510 would work with it. But the Wilkinson is slightly wider than the 510 so there probably would be a slight gap at the sides of the 510 and the rout.

i just don't get it. it looks cool, but that's all

giphy.gif

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
stratamania said:
BroccoliRob said:
i just don't get it. it looks cool, but that's all

There are plenty of users who pull up on non Floyd tremolos.

There's a guy who plays a Strat named Jeff Beck, just to think of one in particular...
Ha yes Jeff.  One of the best guitarists there is and he’d rather build hot rods than play guitar . I wish I had a tenth of an ounce of talent that man has. The man can make a Guitar do things it wasn’t designed to do. Had the opportunity to meet him quite briefly. Seemed a bit offput as I asked about Guitar playing. Simply he said, forget it’s a Guitar, it’s a tool.  Use to create what you want.

Like BR, I don't see much point of recessing a trem that 1) can't be yanked around like a Floyd*, and 2) would still have to be set up at the same height above the guitar, regardless of the how deep a rout below it might be.

And besides....we've already put R&D time into it, and it won't work on our bodies for a variety of reasons. First and foremost, routing a trem cavity requires the studs be mounted lower, and they end up dropping through into the spring cavity. It also means the bridge has to sit up quite high on the posts, relative to where the tops of the studs now are.

*You say you have a non-locking bridge that stays in tune as good as a Floyd. I say, give me five minutes alone with it.  :evil4: :eek:ccasion14:

stratamania said:
The Wilkinson Semi Recessed rout has a good possibility that a 510 would work with it. But the Wilkinson is slightly wider than the 510 so there probably would be a slight gap at the sides of the 510 and the rout.

A semi-recessed rout similar to the Wilkinson one could potentially work with a 510, because the studs would not have to be mounted in the recessed area. I personally find the semi-recess rout unattractive, but that's just me. Maybe we can explore that someday, but probably not soon.

As a point of reference, we sell very, very few semi-recessed Wilky routs.

The Aaron said:
stratamania said:

A semi-recessed rout similar to the Wilkinson one could potentially work with a 510, because the studs would not have to be mounted in the recessed area. I personally find the semi-recess rout unattractive, but that's just me. Maybe we can explore that someday, but probably not soon.

As a point of reference, we sell very, very few semi-recessed Wilky routs.

Thanks Aaron, just an idea and not something I am personally looking for but may be an idea for some.

The Charvel DK24 I have on my workbench is a semi route, the studs are very close to the surface of the body without protruding from it hardly at all.  It's very well designed.

The Aaron said:
Like BR, I don't see much point of recessing a trem that 1) can't be yanked around like a Floyd*, and 2) would still have to be set up at the same height above the guitar, regardless of the how deep a rout below it might be.

And besides....we've already put R&D time into it, and it won't work on our bodies for a variety of reasons. First and foremost, routing a trem cavity requires the studs be mounted lower, and they end up dropping through into the spring cavity. It also means the bridge has to sit up quite high on the posts, relative to where the tops of the studs now are.

*You say you have a non-locking bridge that stays in tune as good as a Floyd. I say, give me five minutes alone with it.  :evil4: :eek:ccasion14:

Thanks, Aaron. Good to know it's on your radar.

The Aaron said:

I find it interesting that you don't want that to happen on the Warmoth bodies. I tend to actually design my guitars so the stud holes are open on the bottom, so you can punch them out via the trem spring cavity if you have to (which, I had to do one time too many).

About the recessed 510: if I understand it correctly, it's a matter of not having the recess on file, not that the trem itself can't be set up floating.

Ibanez and Charvel are somehow doing this with fender-ish bodies and trem cavities. I’ll take a look tonight to see if the trem posts protrude into the spring cavity somehow on my AZ.

As far as “why” - not all of us use trems for dives and wankery. I use it as an alternate vibrato. Up/down vibrato works great on a semi recessed trem. On a non-recessed trem you have to set it up with extra slack in the springs which angles the bridge, no longer keeping the trem knife edges perpendicular to the trem posts. This affects returning to neutral (or even worse, can cause a double pivot situation where the trem is pivoting off the trem posts AND the body.)

And no, the 510T/T1502/T1802 is not a Floyd, but with a well cut nut, locking tuners, and sharp knife edges, its really, really close.

Back