Gotoh GE1996T Floyd question?

Markster65

I'm ordering a soloist body with a non recessed Floyd route. (I want to install a Gotoh GE1996T) I understand Warmoth doesn't drill the larger holes for the Gotoh bushings so I have to use Floyd Rose bushings and posts.

To my question:
I read some people saying the Gotoh wasn't meant to be mounted non-recessed with no explanation why.
Will I have any issues installing the Gotoh 1996T non-recessed with a 40mm block?

Last edited:
You could mount it with Floyd Rose bushings and posts. Recessed or non-recessed that is just a preference.

If you have non recessed the body will need to have the angled pocket.

You would probably be better with the 36mm Gotoh block, the 40mm may be a little long in the body. Alternatively if you want to upgrade to a brass block in 37mm here is a link.

You could also consider a Floyd Rose, or a good option is also the Schaller Lockmeister which now offers different radii for the nut and the bridge.

Last edited:
One other question, do I need to order the shorter trem saddle bolts for my OFR recessed mount? Some people say the Gotoh ones are a little longer than the rout for the floyd.

If you are asking about the Lockmeister then you should be fine with the bolts.

Shorter bolts are needed for a Lockmeister to fit in the Warmoth "Schaller Floyd Rose Recessed rout" which is for the Schaller Floyd Rose type bridge which Schaller calls the Schaller Tremolo and has a smaller footprint.

If you use a Lockmeister use the OFR recessed rout and no problem with bolts. The Lockmeister is dimensionally the same as an OFR.

Im wondering about the Gotoh Ge1996 needing the shorter lock bolts to fit in recessed OFR mount.

The Gotoh Floyd just seems better and I can get a good deal on one.

What seems better about it?

I have not heard from anyone via this forum having to use different lock bolts to put a Gotoh Ge1996 in a Warmoth OFR rout. You would need to use the Floyd/Schaller studs and posts to mount it. You may have to do a little sanding adjustment for some clearance in the odd spot and you will probably also need a Floyd/Schaller lock nut for a Warmoth neck.

For everything else, check the dimensions on the different manufacturers' websites.

Got a Gotoh 1996 7 to replace my Ibanez Lo Pro Edge 7.
Drops right in, and the studs are the same threading so they go smooth as a whistle to the stock Ibby bushings.
The only potential issue that I can envision is that the intonation lock screws on the Gotoh are just a touch long. I won’t know for sure if this is an issue until I go to intonate, as I am using a .056 for the low B.

Not sure if there are shorter screws than these out there. I have an email into Allparts to inquire as none of the standar suppliers of these post their lengths.

Attachments

• IMG_5601.jpeg
    IMG_5601.jpeg
    198.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5603.jpeg
    IMG_5603.jpeg
    476.1 KB · Views: 7
Got a Gotoh 1996 7 to replace my Ibanez Lo Pro Edge 7.
Drops right in, and the studs are the same threading so they go smooth as a whistle to the stock Ibby bushings.
The only potential issue that I can envision is that the intonation lock screws on the Gotoh are just a touch long. I won’t know for sure if this is an issue until I go to intonate, as I am using a .056 for the low B.

Not sure if there are shorter screws than these out there. I have an email into Allparts to inquire as none of the standar suppliers of these post their lengths.
If necessary, you might be able to find shorter screws on eBay or Reverb. I bought some for a Gotoh 1996t a few years ago, can't recall the seller though.

Setup and intonated.
2 observations:
A) a .056 is still too flappy on this guitar. Works fine on my Carvin, but the Ibby hates the loose flappy buzziness. Will give a .058 or even a .060 a try.
B) The intonation screws are still too long for the Ibby cavity on the E, A, and Low B strings. Gonna have to get some shorter ones if I want to pull sharp at all, which I do.

If you are asking about the Lockmeister then you should be fine with the bolts.

Shorter bolts are needed for a Lockmeister to fit in the Warmoth "Schaller Floyd Rose Recessed rout" which is for the Schaller Floyd Rose type bridge which Schaller calls the Schaller Tremolo and has a smaller footprint.

If you use a Lockmeister use the OFR recessed rout and no problem with bolts. The Lockmeister is dimensionally the same as an OFR.
old topic, but just to contribute my experiences: i once tried out the 1996 in a warmoth guitar with ofr bushings in. i think the tremolo itself is a masterpiece for sure but i behaved bad on the ofr studs, even if it looked like it sit perfectly in the stud spacing. it had bad flutter behaviour (the 1996 is known for the nice flutter...) and the tuning stability was bad. after looking closely to the native gotoh studs and the ofr you can also see a difference in the angle and width of the stud in the area where the knife edges do contact, maybe this is the reason. so i would say if you dont want to risk the operation with the 11mm gotoh bushings, better use a schaller lockmeister.

The Gotoh studs threaded right into the Ibanez bushings no problem.
Now just a heavier low B string and 7 shorter Intonation lock screws are in order. I’ll keep my eye out for a set of 7 Lockmeister screws.

I set up as a hard tail first, truss rod adjust, action, intonation, with the trem block and no springs, just string tension. Get the profile of the base plate close to dead flat perpendicular to the body face. Now it sits for a few days to let the neck “settle” under tension at pitch, From there, I’ll add the springs and tighten to the point that the coins release, then adjust the claw screws to final pitch. Takes all of that “back and forth” out of the process.

Attachments

• IMG_5605.jpeg
    IMG_5605.jpeg
    285.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5604.jpeg
    IMG_5604.jpeg
    284.5 KB · Views: 7
Back