Quoth The Raven

Kuro Uma said:
Great Ape said:
Kuro--Meanwhile, the work on the body defies verbal commentary!! (So I'll go ahead and comment anyway)...Ummm...damn, I'm pretty much speechless...''hauntingly beautiful'' almost scratches the surface--if you'll pardon the term. That is just something ELSE!!!
What is the finish you applied ?

Thank you Great Ape. That means a lot coming from you after I've seen your outstanding pieces. The feeling is mutual my friend. I show my wife everytime you post a new picture.

The finish is just 2k Spraymax Polyurethane after a sealer. It's main use is for clear coating smaller car parts (fenders, quarter panels and etc) when the painter doesn't need or want to break out and clean up the whole spray gun setup. It's extremely glossy and hard. I shoot it on thin and within 24 hours or less I can go right to wetsanding and polishing. I used it on the guitar in my signature and it still looks new regardless of pick scraps or the occasional drunk spilling beer at shows.

I've found that if you can shoot it on directly after using a tack cloth to get every speck of dust or undetectable particle that could get in it, and with a little luck, You could get away with not even having to wetsand or polish. It dries so level and glossy.
Thanks, sounds like it's worth a try--looks really good...

That Cab turned out beautiful sorry to hear the neck parted ways with the fingerboard
that Bocote had great figuring reminded me of the feathers of the Raven, hope it gets
a second chance for you.
Looking forward to the feed back from your friend & how the ghost part sounds Great
concept. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Well she's all slapped together and setup.
img20130320194444.jpg

img20130320194528.jpg

Plays like a dream and sounds great on both fronts. I sent a clip of the acoustic to the owner that was recorded with just my phone in laying on the desk. He's so excited. I have to sit with the guitar for another 2 weeks before I take it down to him. Shucks..

Great Ape said:
Kuro-- Doncha just love how people will tell you how mind-blowing your work is, and then tell you how much better it'd be, if only you'd.........
It's only my entirely questionable opinion, but off the top of my head, I can't think of anything that would make that any more stunning than it is. Beautiful work, man, I'm really floored!!

Ah, come on, man, it's not that bad. I come from an art background too and have, on many occasions, gotten some good ideas from people viewing something I did then making constructive comments or tossing ideas out. Doesn't bother me a bit....if it's done constructively. In this case, with OrCrist saying it would look cool had the feet been coming off the bridge, that may have been something the original artist didn't even think about. It's not a knock on his work at all.

FWIW, this particular guitar would have looked much better if it was a tiger....but I'm a Bengals fan so that makes me biased. This would make a Baltimore fan a happy camper for sure.
MULLY
NFL homerism aside, this is bad to the f'in bone!! Also, FWIW, the two of you posting these custom jobs of yours keep a smile on my face. I love what you guys do.

And it's only March, and you two lunatics have nine more months to vie for Guitar of the Year - whoa. I wish I had a Token Power Animal of my own, I'd commission something. Hmm, a few years ago we had bedbugs.... ???

:icon_scratch:

sumo.gif
..In this corner we have Kuro Uma  ..... aaaaand in this corner we have the Great Ape....
box2.gif

director.gif
...Let's get ready to ruuuuuuumbuuuuuuuule...

WOWZA  :eek:  that is just beautiful in every way possible  :icon_thumright:

The Raven looks incredible .....
But the rest looks even better Just WOW WOW WOW 

I've picked 2 out of 2 this year in GOTM, so enter that and i'll then have 3  :headbang:

Hmmmmmm....bedbugs..... :sign13:..............................

...just kidding.......

Wow, I just read up a bit on the SprayMax, 2 Part (2K) Urethane Aerosol Clear Coat stuff. Car paint in a can.... but I did see, and greatly respect the idea of using a respirator with it? I sure hope you (Kuro) are.... I've been working on a "work" project that has me in and out of our "Copy Shop" - they're great at what they do, and these kinds of places could be of real assistance to a builder with some of the things they can do. That said, every time I got there and get a whiff of that sharp, ketone-y smell I'm reminded that commercial printers and the painters who use stuff like "SprayMax, 2 Part (2K) Urethane Aerosol Clear Coat" tend to die young, of the same weird diseases that alkies and plastic workers die of - liver cancer, cirrhosis, pancreatic cancer... I see the nice young man in the print shop and think "Run, buddy, run!" And then hand him my stuff to print... :eek: "Bug sprayer" is another job I would never, ever do, every day spewing out nerve poisons. They do have some handy looking $18 respirators, but the ketones and stuff also crawl in through your skin. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm WAY too old to die young, but it doesn't mean that I'm ready to go just yet...looks like I've got some research and some thinkin' to do before buying/using SprayMax....thanks, Stub...

OH YES!! Definitely use a respirator with the stuff. No matter how well ventilated the work area is. I use one regardless of what I'm shooting. Poly, Lacquer or Tru Oil.

Great Ape said:
How about spraying outside? Indoors is NOT something I'm willing to consider...
I'm always afraid of getting dust and stuff in the finish. It would have to be a very calm day. I shoot in my garage in northern New Mexico or if I'm back home (basically west Texas) in my buddies shop. It can get windy and dusty here at the drop of a hat.

Yeah, garages are about right - something you can air out easily. Even pro-level woodworking is or was terribly bad for you. It's not the dust you see, it's the stuff you don't. There's nothing actually more poisonous about coal, asbestos or fiberglass, it's any tiny particles that lodge in your lungs, stay there, and your body builds up defenses against them. Of course it's the day-in, day-out professionals who run the most risks. But it's gotten to be well known now, and if you get any Rockler, Grizzly catalogs or the like you can see that every new drill press and jointer and everything else is "wired" for vacuum hosing. And certainly any employer (in America...) has got to take pretty good care - if not dictated by law, our lawsuit-happy society has got to have an effect.

I'm pretty sure that when you read the profiles of famous builders and you see pictures of them happily sanding/sawing/finishing away, they just took their protection off for the photo - I sure hope so. I'm 55 now, and the crazy way we used to work was just normal - you knew it was time to take a break from painting indoors when you started getting dizzy and seeing double, "Oh I guess I'll go breath some air for a few minutes"..... using floor sanders to pulverize three layers of rock-hard, undoubtedly lead-based paint, you end up with a fine layer of multi-colored dust all over everything - then you go wash down your nerve poison with six or nine beers! :laughing3: Oh well, Pete Townsend didn't die either, he & Daltrey just shrunk into little midgets.

When I think back on all the stuff we played with and were exposed to as kids and during the years before the government turned into pseudo-parents, I have to wonder how we're alive if all the threats were real. Not that I don't believe the threats exist, but their severity may be more than a little over-blown. So many tests have been shown to be extraordinarily biased or improperly run that you can't help but be skeptical. Red dye #2... remember that? They fed rats enough of that stuff that you'd have to drink thousands of cases of artificially colored soda daily to get the same dosage. Hell, pen ink would probably cause cancer faster. DDT... another trial that's been proven bogus 40 different ways. The list is long.

Then, there's the other direction, where lobbyists and industry shills tout the advantages of a product. Milk comes to mind, The dairy industry has the vast majority of the people in the US convinced that without milk, we're all gonna die. Thing is, just because mother's milk is a Good Thing, doesn't mean all milk is. The US is one of the only places where anybody's diagnosed with "Lactose Intolerance". There's really no such thing. All humans are lactose intolerant. Tolerance is the outlier, built up by being force-fed the stuff. Nowhere else on Earth is there such a malady. Granted, it has a goodly amount of calcium in it, but they have to add vitamin D to it so you can absorb the calcium, mainly because we don't get enough sun since our bodies create vitamin D as a by-product of exposure to UV light.

So, I guess my point is that you have to take it all with a massive grain of salt and do some research on your own. Otherwise, you live in constant fear and the stress alone will kill you.

My dad likes to tell about how when he was kid, they had a jar of mercury in his classroom that they would pass around regularly to run their hands through. I will do that sometime.... :headbang1:

The Lactose tolerance/intolerance has a lot to do with the region people are from.  Northern Europe is cool enough that the milk wouldn't spoil quickly, and lactose tolerance is prevalent there.  Southern Europe is hotter, so they made cheese out of it.  Turns out it is rather compact food, about 10 times less weight than the milk, which is good for marching armies.  But the bugs that ferment the lactose in cheese made it so you didn't have to have B-galactosidase expression.  They add Vit D because it would adsorb onto the wax in the cartons so the levels would drop while it is being moved and stored.  The Feds have a Standard of Identity that must be met to call it Milk, so in goes some more Vit D.

Mercury is not that toxic as a liquid.  I'm not saying spread it on toast, but it is not going to exterminate a room by being there.  It will push into our hand if you hold it, but not very quickly.  You'd need to play with a lot of it for a long time.  Now, if it goes into vapor phase, then it gets in your lungs and causes you to go crazy.  The Mad Hatter was a mercury poisoning problem.  Organic mercury is really bad (methyl Mercury) because it can dissolve readily into your tissue and poison you.

There are a lot of cyclone attachments for shop vacs for woodworking, but the problem is they only generally get the easy larger particles.  They don't get the small stuff that causes long term issues.  A little more has to go into the cyclone design than a lid for a garbage can.  Although I am not really one for the scare tactics that are associated with safety concerns, I do want the information to make an informed choice.
Patrick

Back