Quilted maple Z body

I wanna be your girlfriend! I'll start saving up for the operation... seriously, I think Z's are neat. They look really comfortable, unlike a lot of spaceship/spiky bodies out there.

That truss rod cover is cheating, nothing should be that awesome.

I used to have a les paul custom that i made a really small "its fu@king" sticker to cover the Les Paul.
This was my chance to make it all the way custom.

Once I am done with this finish i will take some pics on a good camera in the sun.
It looks like Anti-freeze coolant. Its really hard to capture on a phone camera but I didn't even expect it to look this crazy.

I liked the way black knobs contrasted but I also thought the flame maple knobs dyed to match looked killer.
So here is what I came up with.
I dyed the whole knob with the same dye as the body, clear coated it, taped it off and sprayed black lacquer on the top and this is what I got.
I think I am going to add a white dot on the black part as and position marker, then clear it up and buff it for an exact match with the tops finish.
29726_1322084856381_1358620939_30778912_6195_n.jpg

29726_1322085056386_1358620939_30778913_5704360_n.jpg

RU36 said:
I liked the way black knobs contrasted but I also thought the flame maple knobs dyed to match looked killer.
So here is what I came up with.
I dyed the whole knob with the same dye as the body, clear coated it, taped it off and sprayed black lacquer on the top and this is what I got.
I think I am going to add a white dot on the black part as and position marker, then clear it up and buff it for an exact match with the tops finish.

Looking fantastic :icon_thumright:

Waiting for the lacquer to cure then its time to put it all together. I can't wait!!!!!!! :party07:

im not always into the radical but this is simply amazing!

that color rawks  :headbang1:

quilt is awesome in a bright dye that catches atention, why i love EBMM axis guitars so much. this is the first time ive seen it pulled off in green, most green dye jobs on quilt are very dark and not to exciting. great build!

Awesome, I'm totally digging it.  I always kinda liked Zs.  They're definitely not for everyone, but I think they have some appeal.  The color is cool, and I like the truss rod cover.  :rock-on:

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.
I am really happy with the turn out on this build.

I just did the fret dressing/set up on the neck and I can say with out a doubt that this is the flattest and most flawless neck I have owned to date.
Even before I leveled the frets it was almost perfect to begin with.
I have a few more days to wait for the finish to cure before I can full assemble it and plug it in but so far its looking like its gonna be killer. :headbang:

Max said:
RU36 said:
dying the headstock was a bit tricky, it did not except the dye the same way the body did for some reason even with the exact same ratios.\
It looks like a completely different piece of maple, not as high quality. They all absorb dye differently.

warmoth says that the figured maple tops are a different species thanthe figured maple necks

this guitar is filling my head with all sorts of ideas

Patrick said:
Max said:
RU36 said:
dying the headstock was a bit tricky, it did not except the dye the same way the body did for some reason even with the exact same ratios.\
It looks like a completely different piece of maple, not as high quality. They all absorb dye differently.

warmoth says that the figured maple tops are a different species thanthe figured maple necks

this guitar is filling my head with all sorts of ideas
Yep, the neck is hard maple, top is soft maple.

Patrick said:
Max said:
RU36 said:

When it comes to the fret board and neck yes, it's different, but the head stock veneer should be the same type as the body laminate. But since they are not cut from the same piece of maple, there could be enough difference to cause a color difference when dying them.

Back