The Quilted Maple Soloist (UPDATE- Fixed and Complete). BEAST!

If it's any consolation - it's an awesome build you conceptualized - really beautiful.  If whoever fixes it - yourself of someone else - does a good job of it, it may well still turn out to be an excellent piece of work.  Sorry about your loss, but hope there's a good recovery! 

zebra said:
If it's any consolation - it's an awesome build you conceptualized - really beautiful.  If whoever fixes it - yourself of someone else - does a good job of it, it may well still turn out to be an excellent piece of work.  Sorry about your loss, but hope there's a good recovery!

Thanks bro.  I'm still deliberating on what to do.  Gotta let it go for now.  I may disassemble it and take some more pictures of the damage, take some measurements and see about another bridge.  Or, see what it would take to do some fills.  It will be solved one way or another, eventually.  But, thanks man.

If budget is no issue for you, why didn't you just go to a builder who is experienced with the hardware you want and who would build everything correctly, and in the right order? Doing that kind of routing work by hand on a finished body where every edge will be exposed is guaranteed to lead to some issues with finish lifting. It would have been pretty much impossible for the job to live up to your expectations. That type of work should be done before the finish goes on.

museums said:
If budget is no issue for you, why didn't you just go to a builder who is experienced with the hardware you want and who would build everything correctly, and in the right order? Doing that kind of routing work by hand on a finished body where every edge will be exposed is guaranteed to lead to some issues with finish lifting. It would have been pretty much impossible for the job to live up to your expectations. That type of work should be done before the finish goes on.

Incorrect.  But thanks.  :glasses9:

museums said:
Doing that kind of routing work by hand on a finished body where every edge will be exposed is guaranteed to lead to some issues with finish lifting. It would have been pretty much impossible for the job to live up to your expectations. That type of work should be done before the finish goes on.

I've done lots of drilling/routing on newly finished bodies without issue. I've also bought finished bodies from Warmoth where I've had them route changes such as converting a Tele bridge pickup route to a humbucker route or changing a bridge mounting scheme, also without issue. Nice clean edges without chip out. The trick is having the proper tools and methods.

Of course, there is some risk. You can't predict 100% how a brittle plastic finish over wood will react with 100% certainty, so I'd never guarantee perfect results. But, properly done, the risk is acceptably low.

Ideally, if the cuts are exposed you would rather have them done while the part is still unfinished because even when the cuts through a finish come out perfect, you still have a sharp edge that will chip in use pretty easily.

I have devised a covert and secret plan to fix the butchered soloist.  Will update.  :laughing7:

Guitar DRAMA baybee.  Here we go.......  :guitarplayer2:

We got all the ingredients:  Butchered Soloist (Victim)  Bastard "Luthier" (Villain) and Secret Jedi Master (Hero).

Theme song is:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlNhD0oS5pk[/youtube]

Stay tuned for final outcome.  :glasses9:

It's been six months since the bad news on the soloist (Cuesto non va bene!).  Remember the story was I had a special bridge to install--the Schaller Hannes, and decided to hire local help--supposedly a 'luthier' with 30 years of experience.  He butchered my baby.  I've got over 2k in this beast and this moron installed the bridge 2mm to the left and the strings were off center, it was a disaster.  The thread tells the story.  :help: 

Well, with the generous assistance of Cagey, he and another member were able to resurrect the damage and restore this fine instrument not only to being playable--it is something to behold.  The tone is to die for.  The feel is butter.  The aesthetics make me want to stare at it for hours.  This guitar plays like a Cadillac, if that makes any sense.  It's so tonally responsive, and the single tone knob has such a nice wide variation.  Plugged straight into my Swart STR, it's killer--with the JHS Muffuletta, forgetaboutit!  I mean super special.  This thing is heavy, but the tone is monster.  It's a far cry from any of the others I have built, and even though the bridge was originally installed incorrectly, thanks to Cagey it's not just operational, it rocks like a fuggin tank.  Sustain and tone are incredible.

So, what we have is a Soloist, quilted maple on maple UC top, Warmoth satin finish, 3-A birdseye Warmoth neck (burnished), and a Seymour Duncan "Whole Lotta Love" humbucker.  Crazy guitar.  Maple, maple, and more maple.  :toothy12:  Here are some pics after the repairs:

fixed-soloist7_zpsprfqywwh.jpg

fixed-soloist6_zpsxgiqryyj.jpg

fixed-soloist4_zpsoxcrw7lq.jpg

fixed-soloist3_zpsd7vgkple.jpg

fixed-soloist1_zps5mmvyjkc.jpg

fixed-soloist2_zps2erdfxdp.jpg

fixed-soloist5_zpsbqn1r3af.jpg

Very nice work, Cagey.

The Mary Kaye strat (Tonar finish) is on hold for now due to being crazy busy, but will be a masterpiece, too I believe.

That is a GREAT looking piece and a great method to fixing the problem.  Adding the plate (brass??) as an anchor could even further help the sustain.

Maple is funny species of wood.  Most assume it is super bright.  I have an all maple tele with a duncan '59 in the bridge and the thing sings.  One difference of mine than yours it is super LIGHT!!  Not heavy.

Post some video of that fine example. :headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1:

Thank you for the kind words!

The "other member" involved was Doug (DangerousR6), who machined the two brass parts you see on the rear of the body. Very nice work, and I think as DMRACO mentioned all that brass may have helped the sustain a bit. Tough to say, as I didn't really play the thing before tearing it apart. But, if anyone has it in mind to install a Hannes bridge, it may be worthwhile to have those parts made rather than use the ones that come with the bridge. Lotta meat there...

Attachments

• Template.jpg
    Template.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 47
Not exactly sure if it's brass.  Probably so.  I didn't ask, but it sure got the job done, and sounds great.  I don't play on-stage so the heaviness problem is no big deal.  I don't hardly even use a strap.  Just glad to get this one finished.  Gotta send the Mary Kaye off for fretting and final set up.

DMRACO said:
That is a GREAT looking piece and a great method to fixing the problem.  Adding the plate (brass??) as an anchor could even further help the sustain.

Maple is funny species of wood.  Most assume it is super bright.  I have an all maple tele with a duncan '59 in the bridge and the thing sings.  One difference of mine than yours it is super LIGHT!!  Not heavy.

Post some video of that fine example. :headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1:

Glad it all worked out in the end. It looks spectacular.

Kudos to Cagey and DangerousR6 on such a fine job salvaging it.
:icon_thumright:

Missed this when it happened – YOW!!! :eek: Looks like an unbelievable save, however. Am happy for you it worked out and the result is a great playing / sounding guitar. Kudos to Cagey and Doug for the saving the day.

That came out really great. What a beautiful instrument. Clean and classy. Cagey and DangerousR6 did an outstanding job. You'd never know it was done wrong before. Thumbs up on this one. :icon_thumright:

rgand said:
That came out really great. What a beautiful instrument. Clean and classy. Cagey and DangerousR6 did an outstanding job. You'd never know it was done wrong before. Thumbs up on this one. :icon_thumright:

Yeah, I about lost it on my local 'luthier' guy.  Glad to have it come through okay.  The body alone was about 900 with shipping.  I think I may enter it in July GOTM.  Right now, I just can't quit playing it.  This will bring years of joy.  One of the lines in my will is "ALL HEIRS AGREE THAT UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL THEY (OR ANY OF THEIR HEIRS OR AGENTS) SELL, ALIENATE, OR ENCUMBER THE GUITARS".  Heh.  :laughing7:

Back