Project six in the works..(updated pics)

TroubledTreble

I've begun my sixth W full guitar project. I view this as a birthday gift to myself since it is something I have always wanted but for many reasons denied myself, until now.

The project is a strat body and neck. (yes, another  :tard:) The "thing" about this one is it will be a burst finish which I have always wanted. I custom ordered a lightweight vintage alder body. I paid for the hand selection since I think it's worth it to get exactly what you want. The body weighs in at 3.88 lbs. It is a 2 piece hard tail body. From what I understand it is the first vintage body hard tail W has done.

The grain on it is perfect for a burst finish. It is straight and clear. I really like the deeper cuts. The lines are very smooth. The burst will be a post 59' two tone in nitro. It won't be a high gloss finish but instead the finish will have a little bit of a worn appearance. Not reliced, just not buffed out. The neck is a one piece vintage modern fatback of flamed maple. I usually go with birdseye but decided this was more appropriate. It's a great piece of wood and the pic's did not come out so well.

Quality is in the details! Here is a great reason to go with a W product. I have seen many other bodies by other suppliers and the quality has never been this good. The holes for the ferrules are sharp and exact.

Nice! I don't think I've ever seen Alder look like that. 3.8lbs is really light, too. Any idea on pickups yet?

I'm gonna go out on a limb, a small limb, and guess that he will use RoadHouse pups, just a guess.  :eek:ccasion14:

I wanna know where your gonna paint it? and I got a big wheel buffer from stew mac you can borrow for as long as you need, it works great!

I keep toying with the idea of getting one of those arbor buffers from StewMac myself, but haven't done it yet. I figure two paint jobs would make it "free", so to speak.

B3Guy said:
nice smooth piece of wood . . . (awkward silence) . . .

Hahahahaha :laughing7:

This is a sweet looking piece! Its going to look so good with a burst on it! I love the vintage bodies. I hope they start doing countersunk ferrules on all their guitars.

I really wanted to do the burst myself but I don't have the time needed right now to do it. I was going to practice on some scrap and go for it and if needed get bailed out by someone with experience. So I've decided to have one of the local builders I've been working with do the finish. He specializes in relic finishes. In fact the best relic jobs I have ever seen. Very artful, tasteful and in the right amounts. Again this won't be reliced, just not buffed to a polish. I do appreciate the offer to use the buffer Alf. I may give it a very, very slight shine.

For pickups I will be installing Sixty-Five's. A slightly underwound vintage style pickup which is just right for this build. They are made by me. It's the same ones Tim has in his 4 forum member build. For controls it will be master volume, master tone, and what is basically a backwards no load volume pot (blender) that will bring in either the neck or bridge pickup which provides a great number of combinations.

SixtyFive3.gif

Black as the blackest black times infinity? Credit to whoever had that in their sig, it made me laugh.

That is some delicious looking alder. You could've said it was ash and no one would have questioned it. Gonna be sweet with that neck!

Cletus said:
Black as the blackest black times infinity? Credit to whoever had that in their sig, it made me laugh.

:laughing3:  That's funny, but it made me think of NTSC color bars, theres black, then blacker than black.  That is the official name of those colors.
Back to the build: that is a good choice of burst. :icon_thumright:

There have been some good weather days and the finish is coming along nicely. Finally have some pics of the neck too. A small amount of amber stain was applied to bring out the figuring. I have to say, I am really pleased with the finish Marc is doing. He did a nice job by creating a small band around the edge to show a bit more of the grain. Woo Hoo!

You just posted pictures of that thing naked 2 days ago! You gotta give me the number of your finishing guy! <grin>

Helluva job. Thing's beautiful! That neck is to die for! I'm not normally a fan of maple fingerboards, but I think I'd make an exception for that bugger. Hang it on the wall and only take it out on birthdays and Christmas <grin>

NigelTufnelWithCollection.jpg

Don't touch it! Don't even look at it!

Alfang said:
I'm gonna go out on a limb, a small limb, and guess that he will use RoadHouse pups, just a guess.  :eek:ccasion14:

Maybe he'll go with Kinmans! OK, OK, I'll just grab my coat....  :laughing7:  :icon_tongue:

Back