Project Natal - Microsoft's New XBOX Toy

Lucky #7

Ok, so it has nothing about guitar, but watch this video and tell me you don't see how it could.  I have read some articles and they are talking about this thing being able to see fine finger movements.  I am seeing a real Guitar Hero rather than playing a toy.  Guitar Lessons from Michael Angel Batio, Steve Vai, Slash, etc. if this thing lives up to the hype.  Even if those aren't possible, it's still pretty damned cool.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oACt9R9z37U[/youtube]

Who needs guitar lessons? I'll take Sherlock Holmes!

holodeckst.jpg

Seriously, though, Natal looks like it has promise...even though it has some serious flaws that I see even in that ad (what do you do when you run out of floor space and need to back up physically, but not in-game? how do you protect yourself from the fat-people lawsuits? How do you control mostly off-screen things like acceleration or reloading?)

In five years, though? We might have some pretty cool stuff coming out of this.

WOW, that is petty flippin' coooool.  :headbang:
Definitely loads of potential.  Do you know when these will become available?

I've got a microsoft contact. I might be able to find out, just not today. Or tomorrow, probably. (Old gf's dad. Still on great terms  :icon_thumright:)

i'm a huge xbox fan... actually i'm playing right now. and i love the idea of this thing, even though i really don't think it's something i'll be using. but it's really cool. the things that make me the most intrigued are

milo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxU_T7C4Ils

and tony hawk's skateboarding game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xCdEr0ZL8U

should be a good year for us gamers!

Im gonna burst everybody's bubble here.

1) xboxes suck...I dont own one but have to fix them all the time or facilitate them to be fixed by microsoft. they are crap. probably seen 200 of them so far in my shop.
2) what you see here in these youtube videos are actors playing to a pre-recorded videos..not the real thing.
3) doubtful the thing would work well with a crowd...."stop moving, im trying to play a game here".
4) i can go on but why?

Brian

i've heard the same arguments over and over on a gaming forum i belong to, so i understand where you're coming from. but i've had my xbox forever, and never had a problem. i feel like people who do have problems do stupid things like take baths with their xbox's, run it on carpet, or store dust in it, then wonder why it doesn't work any more  :sad1:

but about the actors, i'm a bit of a gamer myself so i think anything designed for a gamer i can be pretty competent with. i've seen candid use of the tony hawk board, and it looks pretty damn cool. i'm really excited about that. about natal... i don't really see that working all that well for serious games. flipping through a menu? sure. but playing a real game? no way.

but sonys new motion controls are AWESOME. i didn't see the demo's live, so i was pretty blown away when i saw them yesterday. if i can afford it, it looks like this is the year i bite the bullet and get a PS3

I've got an XBox and had the 3 red ring problem.  Sent back to MS and problem solved, no cost to me.  I used to play it all the time, but I just keep it around for the kids now.  I bought a new PS2 for $99 and a gazillion used games about a month ago and have had a blast.  All these cheap used games I've been missing by having never bought a PS2.  No way am I going to buy a PS3.  I have yet to have found a console worth that kind of scratch.  I'd rather be buying guitar parts.

As for the demos, I agree that they are staged. But that's absolutely normal and to be expected for developing technologies like that. I expect that they have a pretty solid handle on the fundamental technology at this stage, though. They are probably releasing the teasers now to gauge market potential and to ratchet-up the anticipation.  I'm pretty sure this is the way game consoles will work within the next decade.

I've had two separate XBOXes.  Never had a problem with either one that wasn't my fault.  The only time, I accidentally left it on for two days in a closed entertainment center.

I realize those are promotional videos.  I have also read more than a few articles on it and people are saying it is living up to the hype.

Lucky #007 said:
I've had two separate XBOXes.  Never had a problem with either one that wasn't my fault.  The only time, I accidentally left it on for two days in a closed entertainment center.

I realize those are promotional videos.  I have also read more than a few articles on it and people are saying it is living up to the hype.

a friend of mine did the same thing actually. but i think his was in his entertainment system for only a couple hours, and he managed to save it. but he said it was HOT.

and i guess the one thing i'm thankful for is that microsoft will at least take these things back. back when the PS2 had all the problems because it sucked up anything around it (dust, cat hair) sony would never have accepted people sending it back and having it fixed for free. i had 2 PS2's then, and neither really worked 100%. one of them ended up dying completely.

Stupid..like Vista. I think the days of huge leagues of teens in million dollar houses with unlimited income like in  teh video are just about over.
That bs of holding your hands in the air may work somewhat with fighting, but with a plane/car or wahtever, you need something real in your hands to simulate control.
Gates is waaay out of touch with his empire. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. I didnt say it. Its a time honered truism.
Anyway, I'm on Linux Ubuntu and wouldnt give Gates 5 cents if i could possibly avoid it..not that he doesnt end up with it anyway .

Who says you couldn't use a prop?  And nothing in that video suggests you need unlimited income in any way unless that thing is going to be north of $700.

yeah microsoft is all about marketing to families. there's no way it'll be that expensive.

and bill gates isn't the owner of microsoft anymore, but i only know he stepped down. i don't know who took over

Bill Gates is the greatest philanthropist in world history, he is in the process of giving away virtually all of his fortune, something no hyper-rich person has ever done. His investments in African / Asian poverty and health have already saved hundreds or probably thousands of lives. He quit running MS in order to concentrate full time on good works. The man is due some big time props - I'd like to see Steve Jobs do 5% as much to make the world a better place. And check this out - he's not even accepting your donations - it's just his and Warren Buffet's money.  http://www.gatesfoundation.org/Pages/home.aspx
Oh, and yes Vista sucks. Fair and balanced!  :icon_jokercolor:

By the way..

Anyone read penny arcade? This comic really deals with the issues of Project Natal.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/6/5/

Luke said:
By the way..

Anyone read penny arcade? This comic really deals with the issues of Project Natal.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/6/5/

hahahaha i love it.

tfarny said:
Bill Gates is the greatest philanthropist in world history, he is in the process of giving away virtually all of his fortune, something no hyper-rich person has ever done. His investments in African / Asian poverty and health have already saved hundreds or probably thousands of lives. He quit running MS in order to concentrate full time on good works. The man is due some big time props - I'd like to see Steve Jobs do 5% as much to make the world a better place. And check this out - he's not even accepting your donations - it's just his and Warren Buffet's money.  http://www.gatesfoundation.org/Pages/home.aspx
I never knew that about Gates. I figured he just gave away stuff as a tax shelter like everyone else. Im certain he really doesnt give a flip about waht i think of him, but i,  yeah ..thats really amazeing considering he could just hord everything that the iRS deosnt grab or that he doesnt shelter.

jerryjg said:
tfarny said:
I never knew that about Gates. I figured he just gave away stuff as a tax shelter like everyone else. Im certain he really doesnt give a flip about waht i think of him, but i,  yeah ..thats really amazeing considering he could just hord everything that the iRS deosnt grab or that he doesnt shelter.

Yes, He is a very genuinely down to earth and caring person that puts his bazillions of dollors to good use for the betterment of the world.  I had the pleasure of cooking dinner for him once many years ago in my previous life as a chef.  I would have had no clue that the man was Bill Gates had someone not informed us he would be dining in our room that night.  He dresses, looks, and acts just like another Joe on the street.  :rock-on: Bill

Back