Unofficial Warmoth Recommends: Guitar Books

Mixing/Recording:

Modern Recording Techniques ... http://www.modrec.com/
The Audio Cyclopedia ... Howard M. Tremaine
Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook ... Gary Davis & Ralph Jones

These all get into the whys and wherefores of recording, mixing and live sound.  The best references, however, are physically attached to either side of your head!

Here is a list of the books that I refer to all the time.

Guitar Finishing Step-By-Step. Stew-Mac

The Blackguard a detailed history of the early Fender Telecaster years 1950-1954 by Nacho Banos. If you love Telecaster's you have to own this book.

The Fender Stratocaster by A.R. Duchossoir

The Fender Telecaster by A.R. Duchossoir

And this is the book that I look at and lust over the amps. I am really hot for the turquoise/grey/turquoise covering  A.C. 15 on page 360 or the A.C. 30 Twin in blue/grey covering on page 382.  If you are a Vox amp lover this is THE must have book.  Trevor May should have it at the top of his gift list.  One version has all the schematics for the amps in a separate portfolio and the authors autograph.

VOX Amplifiers The JMI Years by Jim Elyea.  

Tonar8353 said:
Here is a list of the books that I refer to all the time.

And this is the book that I look at and lust over the amps. I am really hot for the turquoise/grey/turquoise covering  A.C. 15 on page 360 or the A.C. 30 Twin in blue/grey covering on page 382.  If you are a Vox amp lover this is THE must have book.  Trevor May should have it at the top of his gift list.  One version has all the schematics for the amps in a separate portfolio and the authors autograph.

VOX Amplifiers The JMI Years by Jim Elyea.  

You know, I have been looking at this book....

You know, I have been looking at this book....

Well get busy buying, you will love it.  By the way I played through a nice A.C. 15 tonight and with a Telecaster bridge pickup it was amazing.:icon_thumright:  
I'm pretty sure I need one, bad.

Well I just re-read & saw the "MISC" category, so my fave non-music book is certainly "Secrets from the Masters" from Guitar Player magazine. It's a big fat compilation of the best parts of interviews they conducted, back when they were something other than a catalog. It's kind of a gloopy title, but it really is all about practice routines, how these guys work through certain musical issues etc. Re "BIO", the ones I tend to re-read are "Power, Passion and Beauty" by Walter Kolosky and "John Coltrane" by Lewis Porter. The first is a history of the Mahavishu Orchestra, boy if ever there was a band ruined by success.... back then they didn't know they were going to be legendary, so they toured half-to-death. Same thing that happened to Hendrix.

The second is obviously about Coltrane, with lots of musical examples and insights into musical processes of creation. IMO only musicians should write about musicians. Now if you want to ask about MUSIC books....

Back