new guitar????

GoDrex said:
DocNrock said:
GoDrex said:
Is a wenge neck heavier than a maple neck?

Perhaps a bit, but its not going to make an explorer neck-heavy.   :icon_biggrin:

you don't know that for certain doc - I don't see you with one

You are right, no explorer, but I do have a wenge neck/ebony fingerboard on a chambered black korina strat body.

Just to add my few cents.  (Actually judging my the length make that a couple of dollars.)

There are guitars that you can buy for investment purposes,  eg some Fender and Gibson models.  And some guitars you buy to play.

The majority of us buy Warmoths to play.  Put together correctly I dare say that the majority of players could not (or would not want to) afford a well known brand of similar quality.

I would go as far as saying that the current crop of Fender USA Standards and Gibson Les Paul standards do not even come close.  I own both set up to perfection and they are now pretty much redundant.  They don't play as well or sound as good.  Of course this is only my opinion.

As for custom shop maybe they can compete but you are talking really big money.

The vintage stuff maybe really sort after and have magical qualities but they too in some ways have there flaws.  Some things have moved on even though many do not like to admit it.  Again really expensive.

However unlike Gibson and Fender the resale value of a Warmoth is not great.  In all honesty you will probably really struggle to get back what you have paid out.  They players who would buy your Warmoth would sooner go to Warmoth directly and get "their" unique dream guitar.

People usually build Warmoths to keep.  And if you do get one you will most probably want to do the same.

I would suggest the one thing you do not have to be concerned about is the quality of Warmoths products.

Just an observation,  If I have read correctly, you have only been playing a year and a half and money sounds like it may be a problem at the moment.  I took me many years of playing to get to the point where I could really appreciate the guitar I was playing so don't necessarily be in a rush to buy your dream Warmoth.  Like many of us I played on crap for many years. (Im not suggesting you do) Of course if you fancy going for something that is going to last you a lifetime and you don't mind spending the cash now go for it.

I too love Eric J.  Gee, if you can play any of his stuff after a year and a half your going to be one hell of a player.
I've been learning Cliffs of Dover for 2 years now,   :laughing7:  It's getting up to speed slowly but I'm getting there.

The bottom line is Warmoth is excellent value for money and the quality is second to none.

Good luck in what ever you choose.
Dave

the problem is I will go to college next year, and before I go to college I prefer to have a new guitar...
- else I will keep stuck with this low budget strat for the forthcomming lots of years...-

I do not nesecarily need a new guitar withn 1, 2 or even 3 months (warmoth delivrery time to the
Netherlands), but I prefer to have one before the end of the year! Prefer faster ^^...

---

it remains the problem... I want a guitar which I can keep for a long time which is good enough
for the forthcomming lots of years and which I can play on wwith a smile, even after 10 years or so :)...
so in a fwe words: I want a keeper! ;)

but I played Rosewood, Maple and some other necks/fingerboards which I don't know, but can't recall
that I've played on wenge...

it remains hard... Orpheo offered he wanted to buy the guitar if it doesn't meets my expetations at all,
still I would loose the 160 euro's on taxes and transportations etc...

I will think this one good over, and reading at some fora and websites everything I can learn :)...

btw, my parrents are a bit nervous as well, ordering from the USA via the internet (old school ;)), so thats
something hard as well, but Orpheo (way too nice :D) offered me he wants to help me put it together so
that won't be a problem as well :D!

p.s. I can't play Cliffs of Dover yeth... prefer to develop my own style etcetera... Can improvise with the fill
Am/Em/Dm/D-pentatonics, and getting a nice tune out of it... CoD will be on my list, but EJ's strat sound
is quite cool! thats what I meant ;)...

Zieler, a couple of years ago I wanted to build a guitar and was thinking about a Carvin.  Fast forward to earlier this year.  I got GAS for a Jackson SL2H and scored one off of E-bay.  I joined the jcfonline board and learned more about Jackson custom shop guitars.  They are killer, but at $4000-6000 AND a 2 year wait, I decided to hell with that.  I had a Jackson PS-4 that I decided to upgrade the trem on, and by Google search discovered Warmoth.  I got my trem, but also began perusing the site and dreaming of all the custom axes I could make.  I settled on one.  I was amazed by the quality, playability, and the tone.  It cost me less than $1000 and had the stuff in less than 2 months.  Putting it together took part of a weekend.  Not insignificant was the fact that this was a custom guitar, designed by me.

After that, I developed major Warmoth GAS and got a body off E-bay, then another build, then I found one in the "Screamin Deals" section, then I had a body made to use up some spare parts, and so on.  If you look at my sig line, you'll see what I'm talking about.  Every one I've built has been a great player.  In fact, when I do make time to play, it seems I always pick up my Warmoths;  My Jackson SL2H, Ibanez JS1000, and Gibson Les Paul seem to just sit in the guitar rack.

It's obviously up to you how you spend your hard-earned dough to satisfy your GAS, but I think the most cost-effective way is through a Warmoth custom assembly.

Good luck!  :icon_thumright:

a wenge neck feels slicker and faster and more 'alive' than a maple neck, especially fender maple necks. ebony board feels like maple, but even more smooth and slick.

@zeiler: I meant: áll the costs ;) als je de wenge/ebben hals en korina stratbody hebt/neemt, en 't klinkt nergens naar in jou oren, dok ik iedere cent terug van de gitaar (in ieder geval de onderdelen waar jij niks mee kunt ;) zoals de hals en body, de brug, tuners en pups kan je dan op je 'verbeterde' versie gooien.).

Zeiler said:
but I played Rosewood, Maple and some other necks/fingerboards which I don't know, but can't recall
that I've played on wenge...

If you haven't played a high-end PRS or Suhr, or a very expensive Boutique guitar, you probably haven't played anything other than a maple or mahogany neck.
Exotic woods are a bit more common with Bass Guitars though.

Go custom, you won't regret!
What I would say: as the money isn't flowing thru your river, you'd best go to the musical stores and play the thinks before you order... Some Warwick basses has Wenge or Bubinga neck, be sure to take one before you order, but I've NEVER heard somebody arguing that didn't like a raw neck, simple like this... About tone, Marko, Jack, Orpheo have those necks, they can tell you better...

Tell your parents that Warmoth is 100% proof (beside the mail company can mess around, but GET insurance, for sure!)

NonsenseTele said:
Go custom, you won't regret!
What I would say: as the money isn't flowing thru your river, you'd best go to the musical stores and play the thinks before you order... Some Warwick basses has Wenge or Bubinga neck, be sure to take one before you order, but I've NEVER heard somebody arguing that didn't like a raw neck, simple like this... About tone, Marko, Jack, Orpheo have those necks, they can tell you better...

Tell your parents that Warmoth is 100% proof (beside the mail company can mess around, but GET insurance, for sure!)
agreed. you have everything you need from warmoth; adress, phone number, user statements  :confused4:

i've gotta say, i built my first warmoth just over four months ago, and i rarely, RARELY use anything but it.
one of the big factors is because it has an amazing tone (hollow black korina, SD pups, wenge/ebony boatneck). but the main, most prominent reason, is playability.

it took me a while to work out what it was that was different compared to my other axes. i was confused, as my warmoth is a 25.5" scale and my other three electrics are 24.75" scale, why was my warmoth easier to play? shouldn't be a tad harder because of the increased string tension compared to what i was used to?

turns out two things: 1. the raw wenge/ebony neck is so fast and slick, but still feels like. well. wood. it feels so... alive!

2. stainless frets. i never, not in a million years,  thought that they would make so much difference to my playing. i tend to do a lot of subtle bending, whether it be in riffs or in solo's, and the stainless frets make it feel effortless.
when i go to my 2 sg's or explorer, the frets feel.. i dunno. lifeless. even with fresh strings, it feels like it drags. and bear in mind i use same string brand/gauge on all my axes (regular slinkies). its so much of a difference now that i don't actually enjoy playing my other guitars  :tard:

on top of that, my own personal playing has improved in leaps and bounds since putting together my axe. i think part of it could have been the fact that i was proud of my efforts to build it (even though warmoth done all the hard stuff  :laughing7:), so wanted to make good use of it.

i will never, COULD never, buy a guitar off the shelf again. also, i am a young guy with not too much money to rub between the fingers, so i know how you feel,. i took quite a leap to order it, simply on the backs of all the opinions of members of this forum. but i can say honestly that i don't have a single regret.

that whole last paragraph needed some cheesy music playing in the background, a crescendo of horns or something..

yeah :)

I dare to try, thats for sure...specially couse Orpheo offers me lots of assistance and help!!!
but I still want to know what I will get (+/-), the wood of the neck and fingerboard for example.
(concerns me most)!

people who say that I should try exotics woods at a bass-guitar...
how can I know how it feels when you got 4 (or five?) very fat strings? :)...  :icon_jokercolor:

to admit, the fingerboard of the guitar shown by Marko isn't the most beautifull fingerboard I've ever seen :)
is the feeling of this fingerboard/neck compareable with maple -the smoothness-???

thnx anyway, going sailing (as my name is sailor) now!!!

Jaap / Zeiler

Zeiler said:
people who say that I should try exotics woods at a bass-guitar...
how can I know how it feels when you got 4 (or five?) very fat strings? :)...  :icon_jokercolor:
Jaap / Zeiler

All I have to say is: If you CANNOT play at least "Paranoid" in a bass after 10 min with it in your hand, better quite playing dude...  :icon_scratch:
And if you only "touch" the neck and slide your hands thru the scale you'll see if you like it or not....

about the looks on the fingerboard and neck:
You can go for "pick your fingerboard" or pay extra to they find what you want (if it's still avaiable)... Beside it, is "shot in the dark" game...

Back