Pricing Confusion

GearBoxTy

So, I regularly surf the Warmoth web site and look at the Showcase for "deals".  I always thought the Showcase (formerly the Thrift Shop) was value priced to move pre-made or cancelled order pieces.  Was I wrong?

Looking at making my Green Meanie/JEM, I searched for Basswood bodies and found S1794 which I would need routed for H-S-H and recessed Original Floyd Rose.  It's priced at $185 but the Warmoth page for Strat bodies says a top routed Basswood body is $155.  Why the premium? 

Also, could that body be modified for the Contoured Heel ($45 upcharge) option?

Just a guess on the pricing, but I think extra light (sub 4.0 lbs.) almost always fetches a premium.

yeah that makes sense, and i don't think you can add the contoured heel option to showcase bodies, but i could be wrong tho....

Besides the up charge for lighter than normal pieces, there is a published one for one piece bodies per:

http://blog.wired.com/music/2007/08/wal-mart-announ.html

...and of course, depending on wood type, really "cool"/unusual grain/figuring may also command a bit of premium...

GearBoxTy said:
So, I regularly surf the Warmoth web site and look at the Showcase for "deals".  I always thought the Showcase (formerly the Thrift Shop) was value priced to move pre-made or cancelled order pieces.  Was I wrong?

Also, could that body be modified for the Contoured Heel ($45 upcharge) option?

There's no guarantee of a reduced price on Showcase items.  The overwhelming majority of Showcase items are first run.  The primary benefits of the Showcase are that the item is in stock and you can see it before you order it.  Even though our turnaround is exceptionally fast for the industry, some folks are on short deadlines.  Also some folks are looking for very specific weights or grain patterns.  You will also find one of a kind pieces, a limited number of cancellations and a few experiments.  If you see something unique, you may want to snap it up as we may not make another.

Bodies on the Showcase have already been through sanding and we would be unable to add a contoured heel at that point.

-Eric.

Back