Orange AD-30 V.S. Line 6 Pod "Citrus" model! Which one is which?

Which one's which?????

• Clip #1 is Pod, #2 is amp

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Clip #2 is Pod, #1 is amp

Votes: 16 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Superlizard said:
Now, Gary is dragging his personal dislike of me into this thread...

I'm sorry, but I had to correct that. I didn't care at all about the test. You probably did hear the difference. But you getting it right or wrong doesn't matter to me.

I should have just ignored you like I had been doing. I'm deleting the posts.

mayfly said:
Superlizard said:
mayfly said:
we all care about our tone - just not about yours :icon_jokercolor:

Still sore over me easily picking out the real AC30 in your clips, I see.

As well, you're not the only solder-sniffing amp aficionado around here, so get over it already.   :icon_jokercolor:

oh yea? well...

ah forget it.  As my mother always told me:  never argue with stupid people - they'll just bring you to their level and beat you with experience.

For what it's worth, I'm in your corner on this one.  What you like is what you like ... regardless of what it comes from.  The Beatles recorded guitars by plugging them directly into the recording console (Revolution), and nobody seemed to mind.

Besides, hockey season is about to start ... as a fellow Canadian, it should be much more fun to argue about that!

AndyG said:
mayfly said:
Superlizard said:
mayfly said:
we all care about our tone - just not about yours :icon_jokercolor:

Still sore over me easily picking out the real AC30 in your clips, I see.

As well, you're not the only solder-sniffing amp aficionado around here, so get over it already.   :icon_jokercolor:

oh yea? well...

ah forget it.  As my mother always told me:  never argue with stupid people - they'll just bring you to their level and beat you with experience.

For what it's worth, I'm in your corner on this one.  What you like is what you like ... regardless of what it comes from.  The Beatles recorded guitars by plugging them directly into the recording console (Revolution), and nobody seemed to mind.

Besides, hockey season is about to start ... as a fellow Canadian, it should be much more fun to argue about that!

You guys are right.  

SL, we don't dislike you.  Well, I don't anyway.  In fact, if we met face to face I bet we'd have a lot to talk about and agree on.  I do admit to pressing your buttons because it's kinda fun to see your reaction, but I realize that it's gone to far.  Sorry mate.  :eek:ccasion14:

But oh well - Hockey is much more important than any of this anyway.

Go Oilers!  :icon_jokercolor:

woo hoo I get in on this one!
I say
#1 real
#2 fake

It may sound stupid, but to me the strings sound closer or somethign on the 2nd one, like there is nothign but guitar.
#1 to me has more space

p.s. on Mayfly's I kept avoiding it, cause I didn't know it was a game, and then I finally posted without knowing it was over!
I was so em bare assed I deleted m post.

I'm sticking to my guns!
#1 real

SL, you have NEVER played through a Roland JC-120 have you, based on your SS comments above?

I really can't stand the supposed Fender emulations in the pod, I gave up on it a while ago except the Tweed Deluxe clean with nothing. The Marshalls I have never really tried to dial in but the presets aren't promising.

The best way to do this would be to use a signal splitter and simultaneously record both, obviously you need a DAW that can do stereo in.

tfarny said:
SL, you have NEVER played through a Roland JC-120 have you, based on your SS comments above?

I really can't stand the supposed Fender emulations in the pod, I gave up on it a while ago except the Tweed Deluxe clean with nothing. The Marshalls I have never really tried to dial in but the presets aren't promising.

I have done the Jazz Chorus, in the store, but that was back in '89 or so when I was amp-shopping.

Of course, I was seeking the Marshall tone then...  :party07:

The JC did have awesome cleans.

My comment about SS not doing jazzy/fancy chords well is when they're distorted (I see now I shoulda took out "especially" in my
previous comment).

MUYFUE said:
It may sound stupid, but to me the strings sound closer or somethign on the 2nd one, like there is nothign but guitar.
#1 to me has more space

You're the 2nd person here who has alluded to "space" or "more air" with clip #1, and I agree of course since I mentioned "constipated" with clip #2.

It makes sense.

With t00b amp distortion, chords ring thru clear; you can hear the note separation - but with SS distortion, in chords,
the notes mush together and there's no air.

sooooooo- voting is closed, and it seems people think the first is the amp and the second is the pod.

It turns out it is quite the opposite!  The first clip is the Pod and the second is the actual amp!

After listening to the clips again, I actually think, if I had an actual sm57, and took more time micing the amp, I could have made it sound EXACTLY like the Pod (now isn't that backwards?).  I don't have any experience with other modellers, but the pod perfectly satisfies my needs in a recording environment.

I also wanted to address some comments I saw stating that they couldn't get a good sound out of their pod.

Here are some strategies I use to get tones like the one posted:

1-Use the software interface with the pod connected to the computer.  It lays things out very clearly and easily- as opposed to that crappy little lcd screen.

2-Build from scratch- ALL the presets suck bigtime.  It's not that hard to do this in the software.

3-MOST of the amp models suck, but there are a good number of very usable ones.  I (and this is biased by the kind of music I play) find I can only be satisfied by the models of mid-gain british amps (ie. the AC30 model, AD30 Model, Hiwatt model, 1 or 2 marshalls etc...).  I find that all the fenders are horrible- besides maybe the bassman, all the "line6" stuff is dumb, the "matchless" models are impossible, and pretty much anything with a bunch of gain just really doesn't sound right.  If you pick and choose wisely, I think you can find good ones.  My favorite is the AC30 model.

4-Try out different cabs- the one they give you with the amp is often not the best.

5-TRY DIFFERENT MICS- this feature is really cool imo- it really shapes the eq of your sound like switching mics really does.

6- never use any "room" sound- it's just a crappy sounding room reverb algorithm slapped on the end.  Anyone with recording experience would know it sounds nothing like a well placed room mic on an amp.

7-Play through speakers, and play loud.  It's just more fun.

Overall, I find the Pod is a very flawed device, but can sound VERY VERY good if used a certain way.  My next goal is to figure out how to use it live.

I hope this encourages a few people to dust off their little red machines and give them a second chance!

-Ryan

tallman said:
sooooooo- voting is closed, and it seems people think the first is the amp and the second is the pod.

It turns out it is quite the opposite!  The first clip is the Pod and the second is the actual amp!

*gasp* !!!  :eek:

Although I wonder how they'd compare "goosed"...

tallman said:

I win!

Cool... I did wonder if it was plausible that both tests had the modeler and real amp clips in the same order. I just picked what I thought sounded the best really, but it was the even note decay that convinced me on this one. Interestingly, I've preferred the modeled sound in both tests if I were to use any of them in my own music.

This is fun, more tests! Thank you tallman! (and mayfly!)

Wow I was wrong! That in itself is not too surprising of course. I would love someone to attempt this with any blackface fender emulation.

Superlizard said:
tfarny said:

I have done the Jazz Chorus, in the store, but that was back in '89 or so when I was amp-shopping.

Of course, I was seeking the Marshall tone then...   :party07:

The JC did have awesome cleans.

My comment about SS not doing jazzy/fancy chords well is when they're distorted (I see now I shoulda took out "especially" in my
previous comment).

I agree with this... SS distortion + discordant chord = sludge.  Not true of modellers obviously.

tfarny said:
Wow I was wrong! That in itself is not too surprising of course. I would love someone to attempt this with any blackface fender emulation.

This is my biggest frustration with my POD.  I still cannot get a blackface setting that I'm satisfied with.  I've tried every preset I can find and spent tons of time trying to dial something in.  I'm pretty satisfied with my other amp settings, but this one seems elusive.  Argh!

tfarny said:

Guitar Rig 3 has some sort of blackface fender emu (i forget which fender amp)... and I have a real blackface Deluxe.

I'll do that too along with the Marshall tests... besides, I have yet to record the Deluxe (been itchin').

Although, I think I'll do a somewhat different test clip format than what's been done so far - still considering *how*, exactly...
maybe a "more than 2 clips - 3 clips" per test.  Like, "here's 3 clips - one is the real t00b amp".

As well, considering doing "clean" (which will undoubtedly be closer) *and* "goosed" versions.

I'll be busy tonight and this weekend...

Superlizard said:
Although, I think I'll do a somewhat different test clip format than what's been done so far - still considering *how*, exactly...
maybe a "more than 2 clips - 3 clips" per test.  Like, "here's 3 clips - one is the real t00b amp".

As well, considering doing "clean" (which will undoubtedly be closer) *and* "goosed" versions.

I'll be busy tonight and this weekend...

This will be interesting...

Gotta say, I'm sort of embarassed I was wrong  (I have a freakin' degree in Audio Engineering for christ's sake)  :)

Still, just goes to show you.    You make a good point though about although it can do the Orange and other amps well, it can't do all or even most, ... which is the sort of thing you find with many modelers and equipment in general.  Not to mention having to play with things to find a good sound,  experimentation is definitely key with many a thing.  I'm still waiting for a good DI setting that can do a fully cranked Marshall or Mesa Boogie tone.

Back