Orange AD-30 V.S. Line 6 Pod "Citrus" model! Which one is which?

Which one's which?????

• Clip #1 is Pod, #2 is amp

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Clip #2 is Pod, #1 is amp

Votes: 16 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tallman

Here we go again!  I own both an Orange AD-30, and a Line 6 Pod, so I decided to see if you can tell the difference as to which is t00b and which isn't!

The Pod Rig consists of: My Warmoth thinline> Pod (Citrus Model, "4x12 British V30's" cab, "57 on axis" micing, and 0% room.)

The Orange Rig: thinline> Orange AD-30 HTC head> Orange 2x12 cab loaded with V30's> Audix OM 2 mic, miced on axis to one of the speakers.

On both the pod and the amp- gain and eq set the same.  "Presence" on the pod was set at 12 o'clock as the amp has no presence control.
So the discrepancies are, the cab size and mic- as far as cab size goes, when only one speaker is mic'd, I find that it makes very little difference.  I am sorry about my mic choice, but the audix om2 is as close as I have to a 57- both have the same size diaphragm, and a similar design.

To record these clips, I DI'd my guitar, then played that signal back into the two rigs.

This one might be a little more challenging than the AC 30 debate, cause the AD 30 isn't quite as well known of an amp!

Good Luck Super Lizard!

The poll ends in 2 days.

After playing Line 6 gear exclusively for 8 years (Pod 2.0, Vetta, X3L) and now with a simple tube rig for the past year, I'd like to think I can tell the difference... but I know better. My vote is in, so we'll see if I'm right or not.

Wow! That is really close. Somebody has to teach me how to use my pod it seems. A+++ for your recording method, that is brilliant. I would have liked a bit lower gain but that's not what the amp is about, I know. I would also love to see somebody with a good blackface twin and a pod try this. I'll bet I could tell in a minute there. I'm guessing
1) real
2) fake
But it's a lot closer than the other one, it really is a guess here.

Also, scratchy volume pot?

:icon_thumright:

Much more challenging indeed...

As well, I'm not familiar with the Orange family of amps.  I know Kossoff liked 'em among others, but I have no reference tune I can think of.

I say the real t00b Orange is the 1st clip.

...because the 2nd has a slight "constipation" to the distortion, which is typical of modeler distortion (they just can't get that part right).

These sound pretty close actually, with the exception that the 2nd sounds a little fuller (low mids), and of course has that slight "constipation" to the distortion.

Nice work.

Just listening on my laptop speakers, I honestly cannot tell.  I'm going to guess.

You Rock!

so I just tried it on my laptop speakers, and it is pretty impossible.  I recommend listening on a decent sound system of some sort- at least something with a fairly full frequency response.  I use studio monitors, and there is a definite difference between the two clips.

I go with #1 (and Superlizard!) again - real amp. The single notes are the giveaway.

Though I must say, I think re-amping makes it harder, because normally it's the chords that sound weird on a modeler - try playing a open E on the bottom and soloing over it as it rings - the high notes are weird (I use 'em all the time to practice...) the Re-amping helps equalize the test, but it's not the way most people would be using a modeler most of the time? You've preamped the signal, and consequently *maybe* compressed it and narrowed the bandwidth. Still, #2 has that plasticine sheen, like "tropical"-scented air freshener made with "fruit" scents from bubbling vats of goo in a chemical plant in New Jersey..... :eek:

Hmm, they're very very close... I ended up voting 1=amp/2=pod.   :dontknow:

I can tell a difference, but just a small one, I'm just not sure which one matches the amp or pod.  :dontknow:

I'll say:
1) Pod
2) Amp

I like the 2nd one better.

Edit: There just seems to be, through my headphones, a little growl niggling in the background of #2.  Dunno if that would be the amp or pod, i don't think i've played enough to0bage to be sure.

The distortion in the #1 sounds somehow freer, so I'm going to guess that's the real deal. This time, I liked the real thing better.

tfarny said:
Somebody has to teach me how to use my pod it seems.

+1 (in deed I've sold the POD, but I've heard some good clips with it, like this one, and couldn't really get that tone thru it, perhaps I just needed speakers instead of the headphone)

GoDrex said:
clip # 2 is all T00B D00000000D! I'd kn0w th0se c00kin' t00bs anywhere! It just s0unds more 0rganic, like I can hear all teh bl00d cells in there maaaaan! All the w00dy fibers in teh t00bs and teh t0ne w0rms and the magic sm0ke in the caps and whatn0t. I bet teh speaker is made of hemp d00000d.

Oh man, looks like Gary forgot his Ritalin again...

ritalin.jpg

:toothy10:

stubhead said:
...because normally it's the chords that sound weird on a modeler - try playing a open E on the bottom and soloing over it as it rings - the high notes are weird

Yeah, a typical serious weakness with solid state *anything* that you put your guitar through... they can't track more than
single notes or root+5ths (power chords) it seems (with distortion).

Ring out a jazzy chord and hear all the gawd-awful dissonance and weird artifacts... especially with distortion.  LOL

Good point - I'll have to incorporate some jazzy/fancy chording in my tests as well.

my vote is clip 1 amp, for the fact that it's a bit more tame than the second clip which is what was going on with Mayflys test. other than that they are both very good, great playing and attention to the recording of the clips! I would not be able to tell if it was real or not on a recorded track with bass and drums or ina live situation.

I love my podxt and the things it can do, but their are some amp models that I know wouldnt pass this kind of test and I dont use them because they dont sound good. Specificly talking about the bassman model and jtm45 (SL's amp) there are a few others with this same proiblem were there is a loud, out of tune harmonic that you can hear when the gain is turned up on these models. I was hoping they'd fix this in a software update but they never have and I think the x3 has the same problems.

Brian

I'm playing this on desktop speakers and its tough.  I'm not at all familiar with the AD30 so I'm going to go with #1 is the amp.

mayfly said:
we all care about our tone - just not about yours :icon_jokercolor:

Still sore over me easily picking out the real AC30 in your clips, I see.

As well, you're not the only solder-sniffing amp aficionado around here, so get over it already.  :icon_jokercolor:

Superlizard said:
mayfly said:
we all care about our tone - just not about yours :icon_jokercolor:

Still sore over me easily picking out the real AC30 in your clips, I see.

As well, you're not the only solder-sniffing amp aficionado around here, so get over it already.   :icon_jokercolor:

oh yea? well...

ah forget it.  As my mother always told me:  never argue with stupid people - they'll just bring you to their level and beat you with experience.

mayfly said:
oh yea? well...

ah forget it.  As my mother always told me:  never argue with stupid people - they'll just bring you to their level and beat you with experience.

Then stop talking to yourself already.   :icon_jokercolor:

I confidently picked the right amp in your test (so much for "stupid") - you didn't get your "smoking gun", so you tried to discredit
my method of choosing - it all smacks of a "sore loser".

As well, you don't have the cajones to state in this thread which amp is which:
"Just listening on my laptop speakers, I honestly cannot tell.  I'm going to guess."  

What's the matter?  Too lazy to take the time to put on a set of good cans/monitors and tell
the board your pick... like so many did with your tone test?
(My mama always told me, "walk the talk".   :sign13: )

If you expect others to "man up" / "show us you know what you're talking about" with your test, then you
should "man up" / "show us you know what you're talking about" here as well.

Now, you and Gary are dragging your personal dislike of me being correct as well as my tone opinions into this thread... let it go.

Back