Orange AD-30 V.S. Line 6 Pod "Citrus" model! Which one is which?

Which one's which?????

• Clip #1 is Pod, #2 is amp

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Clip #2 is Pod, #1 is amp

Votes: 16 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
To emulate fully cranked tone? That's easy, just record like normal and add "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
To simulate the "ringin"

:cool01:
Party on!

kboman said:
The alternative you voted for should be visible in bold at the top of the topic page.

Hey!  it looks like I got it right!  Of course, I just guessed.

Woohoo! I was right after all. I guess I should be right after my aforementioned experience with Pod gear. I'm not sure if I could tell a difference in high-gain tones though, as I think modelers really excel there. It's in the low- and mid-gain regions that I am left unsatisfied.

The funny thing is that so many people thought the alleged amp tone (actually the real Pod tone) sounded more "open" and had more "air" to the tone. I think it sounds that way because it's missing a lot of harmonic content. The richness and fullness isn't there.

The ironic thing is that the Pod is meant to sound like a recorded amp. I'm sure most of you are like me in that your only experience with many of these amps is in hearing recordings of them, so it's easy to understand why you may be duped by the test. Quite often, what sounds good recorded in a full band sounds bad as a solo tone, and vice-versa. I think that in a full band setting (whether live or studio), it would be quite hard to tell the difference because of the way the guitars are mixed and EQ'd to sit with the band. But give me a solo setting and I'd like to think I can nail it. (Of course, I'm sure the next blind test would prove me wrong.)

To sum up the giveaway in modeler tone to me (whether Line 6, Boss, or other), the body sounds like plastic and the breakup has a certain quality reminiscent of crinkling a potato chip bag. The real tone sounds much fuller on the low end with a smoother-sounding breakup.

Back