Positive Grid - Bias and Jamup.

alterbridgefan

Recently got both of these programs on my iPad, and am very, very impressed for many reasons.

In case you aren't familiar, Jamup is a processing program available to iOS users, and it's full of amp modelers and effects available to use. Bias is an amp designer available to both iOS and mac/pc, that integrates seamlessly with jamup and offers a large range of options for tone customization. Simply stunning programs.

Firstly, the price. Both apps cost me $20 total. I have yet to buy any expansions for either program, but it's worth noting that Bias gives you almost every amp available for purchase in jamup(I believe the price for all amps is somewhere around $30), and each is completely customizable and easy to mod in any way desired, whereas jamup will give you only your panel controls - Gain, Bass, Mids, Treble, Presence, and Master. Each expansion effect is around $2, but I haven't needed to buy any yet... Jamup comes with many great sounding effects already downloaded. The tube screamer, digital reverb, EQ, and the echo are so far my favorites, and each emulate what they are supposed to do really well. As can be expected of course, a couple of the effects are essentially useless, IMO. The octave and the boss overdrive are especially bad, and the octave effect eats up all the CPU and causes some serious lag and a noticeable decrease in sound quality. The flangers I also strongly dislike, but I tend to hate all flange effects, iOS or no. The noise gate could be much better, but I've heard good things about the other noise gates available, and the one integrated into bias is very nice, despite being simple and not particularly tweakable.

So far, I've had a lot of luck with these programs. Tone cloud, Bias's amp sharing feature, is very useful when getting started, because there are some very nice starting points on there, and many are of better quality than the factory presets. I downloaded a few amps at first, not quite sure yet what the program's capabilities were. The first one I heard, I downloaded - A high gain EL34 fireball model. I quickly decided that I hated it, so I trashed it and went looking for something else. Stumbled across an Orange 50 watt model that I liked, downloaded it. This was the first amp I began to mod with the program.

First impression opening the editor was slightly unpleasant, as I was somewhat overwhelmed with all the things one can do with it. The mods are divided into a few sections, all things you may or may not see in a good tube amp. You start with your preamp, and can change as much as you need to - high cut, low cut, gain, tube types, tube stages, etc. there is thing an optional EQ, followed by a tone stack - Lots of amp types to choose from. Treadplate(Mesa), Fireball, Blackface, etc. Very cool feature that plays a large part in your sound. On top of that, you have a power amp, a transformer, another optional EQ, mic, cab, and more, all totally customizable. It's a ton to mess with, but it gives almost complete control over the sound of your amp. The amps are very sensitive too - Playing in 4th pickup position can give me beautiful cleans, and yet playing in bridge through the same amp with gain up will give a really tight, heavy tone if the amp is designed well. In a way, the sound is left entirely up to the user.

Overall, more than worth the $20 I payed for the whole rig, and easily gives some truly professional sounds if used properly. Excitedly waiting for positive grid to announce a standalone rack unit. :cool01:

They are all on sale for Black Friday.  FYI.  I think the new bias desktop is on sale, too.

BIAS is very very cool.

I'm with you fellers. For mobile/headphone jamming, Bias is the best sounding option I've used. Being able to import your tweaked amps into JamUp is a really cool feature. I had issues using my old iRig interface (the headphone jack version), but since upgrading to the iRig "HD" (30-pin) it's been problem free.

Well, over last weekend I looked around at reviews and Utube demos of the Bias Desktop. I like what I found, so I got it for the Black Friday price. Then I downloaded the Reaper DAW, and got both set up. I did a first test thru my computer speakers, then piped it to my solid state amp and monitors.

Wow. This thing really rocks!  :party07:  A lot of amp models, eminently tweakable, all very realistic and super sweet. I have my system latency down to around 6 or 7 milliseconds with only Bias running, so I have room for some other plugins to chain with it. So now I'm looking for a good drums plugin, so I can get some rudimentary backing going, and get some time in with it.

It's still new, but overall very damned impressive.

Get EZDrummer! Best easy to use drum vst out there.

You may have even more luck turning off cab sims and running through external IR's or even a real cab. It really, really, opens these amps up. Yum.

-Preston

All right, a small update and testimonial here. I've now got installed BIAS Desktop, Guitar Rig and Amplitube. While the others are "fine", the BIAS app is a clear winner, at least for me. I've run all these through the Reaper DAW, and tweaked them a fair bit. Not only is BIAS more adjustable, but it is more organic feeling and sounding, and has a really great sound.

Now, I know that there are drawbacks (severe) in trying to evaluate sound devices via YouTube, but below is a link to a guy who tested BIAS Desktop vs. Kemper vs. AXE FX Ultra. Now, there's compression inherent to YouTube and limitations imposed by whatever speakers you have hooked up. And while on the one hand you could consider that there's is a level playing field for all the three devices, on the other hand it could easily be argued that perhaps "rich content" by a given device, that could make it sound in person better than the others, might easily be lost via this audio delivery setup.

But see, I've been hankering for an AXE FX. Unfortunately, as for many, it isn't in the cards for me right now, financially. But this guy's demo puts that and the Kemper, each over $2000, against a piece of software that cost me $75. The fact that it can even be considered for such a shootout is pretty amazing. And I'd already decided, before I found these videos last night, that as McLean said "maybe I'll be happy for a while" with my BIAS. Especially when I can run them through my big S/S system and crank it up. I'm having waayyyyyy too much fun!  :guitarplayer2:

Now, the comparison is not exactly 'level'. For the BIAS he chose some presets and I think made some adjustments that sounded to him sorta close to the others. The AXE FX he chose a factory preset for, and twiddled with it some. The Kemper pretty much the same, but the way that unit works best is to get a sample of the amp/cab that are set up the way you want and then not fiddle too much. So he's really got three slightly different sims going here, within three different simulators. They might each have sounded better/worse with different settings. Apparently everything else in the chain remains constant. Anyway, here's the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS9mgbSwAFg

Listen to it. Listen again. Decide which you like. Even try to evaluate how far "off" your second and third choices sound compared to your favorite. Many of you might expect the BIAS to stand out immediately, but I'm betting that it won't, at least not right away. And when you want to know which was which, here's the follow-up 'reveal' video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sIE1RFQx7E

ps - more 'shootouts' should be done this way. I wish I could do them myself 'in the blind'. I guess I need a flunky/roadie
pps - maybe I should double-post this over to the "real vs fake amps" thread

ಠ_ಠ said:
Get EZDrummer! Best easy to use drum vst out there.

You may have even more luck turning off cab sims and running through external IR's or even a real cab. It really, really, opens these amps up. Yum.

-Preston

I totally agree with this. With the focus on amp simulators, it's very easy to forget that the cab and the mics are actually responsible for a good deal of the sound.

Load Guitar Rig 5 with a default preset. It sounds meh. Disable the cab sim, add an impulse loader to your sound chain, load an impulse. Better! Now use four impulses — two close to the speaker panned slightly apart, and two room mics panned far apart. Listen to the difference.

I'm skeptical about the whole setup used to demonstrate these three solutions, but I'll probably give a try to Bias Desktop anyway since they have a demo, see how it compares to my current setup (Lepou amps, redwirez IRs & home-made dirt pedals).

Back