Newbie.. WOW !!!! Absolutly beautiful

Arlosguitar

My first Warmoth build. I will post images as I go through the assembly process. I am amazed at the quality of flamed maple they chose for me. The perloid binding with this wood selection is mind blowing.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 538
  • 2.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 516
  • 3.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 422
Wow, for luck of the draw, that's one seriously nice piece of lumber!  :icon_thumright:

You know, your right! Flamed maple is a scary route to go. I just wonder if the fact that I ordered everything for the body but a pickguard, had anything to do with it. I've noticed some of the flamed tops that arn't as pleasing as this one have the weird grain where the pickguard would cover most of it. I can't tell you how impressed I am with this body. It's everything and more than I imagined it to be.

I haven't ordered the neck yet. I wanted to get the body in first before i decided on the wood.

Warmoth Pro
10-16" Radius
Standard Thin
SS6150
Grover

Now the wood, i'm leaning towards Birdseye Maple Neck/Fingerboard.  After seeing how white the pearloid binding is I think I have changed my mind from the Abalone dots to mother of pearl. I expected the binding to have more of a blue tint to it. Couldn't be more pleased that it has more of a white tint. I don't think the Abalone dots are going to work the way i thought they would (glad I waited). I would love either a pearloid trapezoid or block. Has anyone seen pearloid blocks or trapezoid on a maple fingerboard? Can you even get that option? Originally I was going to go with a darker (rosewood or such) fretboard but that will really take away from the look of this body.

Wow! That flame I awesome. Luck of the draw. I ordered a body with a flame maple top a while ago and it wasn't nearly so figured. Nice piece!

Here's a couple mock hardware pics (couldn't wait)

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 422
  • 5.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 419
Talk about smokin' hot bodies...!  :evil4:

I'd think hard about doing some real pearl inlay in the frets and headstock, if it were mine.

Just some ideas: http://luthiersupply.com/fretinlayOurpage.html

:icon_thumright:

tylereot said:
Talk about smokin' hot bodies...!  :evil4:

I'd think hard about doing some real pearl inlay in the frets and headstock, if it were mine.

:icon_thumright:

Trust me, I am now that I have her in my arms. I would really like pearloid blocks on a birdseye maple fingerboard. Could you imagine how that would contrast the binding on the body? No neck binding, just the blocks on the maple. WOW !! I've never seen pearloid inlays on a maple fingerboard before though.

This is black mother of pearl (not mother of toilet seat), but you get the idea...

typo_tenaciousD_3843.jpg

I wouldn't be able to do the custom inlay work. Would I buy the custom inlays and then send it out to a comapny to have them installed then add the clear coat after? Or does Warmoth do custom inlay work if you send them the material?

Arlosguitar said:
I wouldn't be able to do the custom inlay work. Would I buy the custom inlays and then send it out to a comapny to have them installed then add the clear coat after? Or does Warmoth do custom inlay work if you send them the material?

Unfortunately not. From the website:

"We do not offer totally custom 'design it yourself' type inlay services. To maintain affordability, we stick to the designs in the following pictures. Yes, we can mix some of the inlay patterns and we can omit some positions… for example, we can do the Skull & Cross Bones at the 12th fret only or double a diamond at the 12th, etc."

More details at http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/Inlays.aspx

They've got some white pearloid stars on a maple fretboard in the link above. It's hard to see why it would be above and beyond the $90 they charge to put trappies* on a rosewood or ebony board. I would guess you'd want some sort of vintage or amber tint to bring up the contrast - they have both a amber and plain maple neck side-by-side up  there.

*('tis now....)

Arlosguitar said:

It's not really that hard, if you have a rotary tool, like a dremel.  It does take eye-hand coordination (a lot!), but this was my first stab at it.

10abc102.jpg

Nice work Tylereot. I'm still not exactly sure what i wanna do with the neck. My vison with this guitar is to keep it simple and show off the beauty of wood. The pearliod binding was a last min decision that, quite frankly, I was nervous about. After getting it, I can't decribe how happy I am with the binding. If i added too much custom inlay it might take away from the simplicity I was aiming towards. Coupled with my OCD, it might take me awhile to make a decision. Good ol' mothr of pearl dots on a birdseye maple neck/fingerboard might be my best option. White MOP night swan would look sweet on that neck too.

You may want to consider no markers at all for a very classy look. They'll still put the side dots on so you you don't get lost.

Back