P90 Tele - Take 2!

akabuck

Order placed! I made some tweaks to the P90 Tele build I was planning a few weeks back. This will be my first build, and I am super excited for the parts to arrive. I am planning on dropping in a set of Lollar P90s, still doing a bit of research around the remaning electronics and hardware.

Body:

Construction
Solid
Core Wood
Mahogany
Lam Top Wood
No Lam Top
Control Cavity
Rear Rout
Neck Pickup Rout
P90
Bridge Pickup Rout
P90
Control Layout
Tele Controls - Volume + Tone
Upper LP-Style Toggle
Jack Rout
7/8" (22mm) Side Jack Hole
Bridge Rout Type
Hardtail Bridge Rout - Fender American Standard Strat Flat Mount
Mounting Holes
Standard 4-Bolt Neck Pocket, Tele
Binding
Cream Binding
Finish
Transparent Amber (Gloss)

Neck:

Construction
Vintage/Modern
Shaft Wood
Quartersawn Maple
Fretboard Wood
Quartersawn Maple (One-piece)
Nut Width
1.650" (42mm)
Neck Back Profile
59 Roundback
Fretboard Radius
Straight 10"
Number of Frets
Fret Size & Material
SS6150 - Wide & Tall (Stainless)
Tuner Hole Size
Schaller/Modern Fender/Sperzel (25/64")
Inlay
Standard Dots, Black
Side Dots
Black Side Dots
String Nut
Standard Nut - GraphTech White TUSQ XL
Mounting Holes
Standard 4-Bolt Neck Heel, Tele Shape
Finish
Clear Satin Nitro

For pots, I used to use CTS. Now I use Borurnes. ForP90s I like 300 pots. Cap is std for a single coil. P90s are darker than the typical F single coil, thus the change in the pot.

Fretboard Wood
Quartersawn Maple (One-piece)
I’ve never taken the time to comfortably understand how different cuts of wood affect the final product. What does quartersawn bring to the party?

BTW… A mahogany P90 Tele should sound delicious! Love them P90’s.

In terms of sound? 1/4 sawn, I never noticed a difference between that and flat sawn. You do notice a different look, I'm not going to say one is more beautiful, but 1/4 sawn has flecking and the growth rings intersect at 90 degrees rather then whatever with flat sawn.

I’ve never taken the time to comfortably understand how different cuts of wood affect the final product. What does quartersawn bring to the party?

BTW… A mahogany P90 Tele should sound delicious! Love them P90’s.
Tone wise, I'm not sure it brings anything different than plain sawn maple. That said quartersawn milled wood tends to be more stable and less responsive to changes in environment than plain sawn. You can also get these really cool looking flakes in the grain due to the way it's milled

11 weeks in - still waiting on the body and neck, but working to get the remaining parts aligned up. Is their anything I'm missing?

Lollar P90 pickups - Cream Cover
2 pick up/toggle wiring kit
Hipshot Open Gear Locking Tuners
Callaham Hardtail Bridge w 3 Compensated Brass Saddles
Electrosocket Jack Plate
Amber bonnet style tone/volume knobs
String ferrules
Strap buttons
Tortoise Carbonita Style Pickguard w/P90 route

Regarding the pickguard, does anyone have recommendations for companies that make custom pickguards? Most suppliers don't seem to stock cabronita-syle pickguards with the route i need

Last edited:
In terms of sound? 1/4 sawn, I never noticed a difference between that and flat sawn. You do notice a different look, I'm not going to say one is more beautiful, but 1/4 sawn has flecking and the growth rings intersect at 90 degrees rather then whatever with flat sawn.
There is no difference in tone between quarter sawn and flat sawn. The difference is that quarter sawn is less likely to twist.

In terms of sound? 1/4 sawn, I never noticed a difference between that and flat sawn. You do notice a different look, I'm not going to say one is more beautiful, but 1/4 sawn has flecking and the growth rings intersect at 90 degrees rather then whatever with flat sawn. Guy

Maple is a very strong wood. Compared to say Mahogany and unless you really dig it, is plenty strong and won’t sound any different than 1/4 sawn. As long as quality Maple is used. No need.

Last edited:
You can download from Warmoth a template for the Cabronita pickguard and check and see what adjustments might be necessary. You can also get Cabronita style pickguards with no pickup notches and cutout your own notch.

Yeah, I think this is the "route" I'm gonna go. It's a straightforward cut.

Now I just need to pull the trigger on it. I've been waffling between tortoise, black, cream, and white pearloid 😵‍💫

Back