Newbie to guitar electrics

LeftySteve

Hi,just a few questions from a total wiring beginner about soldering irons,wiring etc..etc.
1.Which size soldering iron would you guys recommend for wiring pots,pickups and jack sockets etc + what size tip/s
2.What gauge and type of wire do you use for connecting up pots to out put jack,toggle switches etc,and which type and gauge of wire do you use for grounding everything.
3.I understand you use rosin core solder for electrical soldering but I have read this can give off fumes which if inhaled can irritate your lungs(only asking due to having mild asthma).And if this is so is there any alternative or do I just have to wear a mask when soldering.
4.What gauge solder do you use for soldering guitar electrics.
I know some of these questions might sound dumb but I am a total beginner to wiring and soldering so wanted to be sure of what I needed before I purchase anything.Once I know what I need I will purchase everything and then I can practice soldering on some old pots I have before attempting my first warmoth build or upgrading pickups in some of my other guitars.
Any help most appreciated.
Thanks guys.

1.  although i can't really say a specific size i can say that i personally recommend a 30-35 iron with a pointed tip.  normally use a 25watt and it generally works fine, but sometimes it takes a while when it comes to replacing pickups on some guitars (usually cheaper ones) and if you can find a slightly longer tip that would help too for some of those tight spots  :icon_thumright:

2.  i use 22 gauge wire for all my connections.  they have some on warmoth in the hardware/electronics department.  i usually go for the vintage cloth covered pickup wire tho since i absolutely hate doing ANY soldering jobs with copper wire.  but the silver wire preference is just that, a preference and many people may have no problems with copper wire..

3.  i don't know about the lung irritation since i've never had the problem and i don't have any level of asthma either.  if you're worried about it, just try to find a way around it.  i'm sure some of the people here can help you with that.

4.  can't really help you with a specific gauge since i usually just judge from sight.  i prefer thinner diameters tho for a cleaner job.  here's a link to the solder i use most of the time.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062725&cp=2032058.2032236.2032313&allCount=45&fbn=Type%2FSolder&f=PAD%2FProduct+Type%2FSolder&fbc=1&parentPage=family

If you're just doing the odd guitar/job, one of the $20 irons from RadioShack will work OK.

You really need to use rosin core solder, just the real thin little rolls from RadioShack works fine. Note that if you order the CTS pots from Warmoth, these have a very thick chromed surface and you will need to use a Dremel or a file to grind down to bare metal to get solder to stick to them. CTS pots from other sources like guitarelectronics.com or the pots sold with Fender brand name, or anything from StewMac I've seen do not require filing/grinding.

Wear a mask and/or work in a well ventilated area if you have asthma/other issues. but you would have to be very sensitive or have your nose right up in the wiring to get a good whiff.

I usually use 24-26 gauge wire; if you are building guitars rather than doing repair work, you can find kits that have all the components to include wire for about 95% of all potential products (and a huge number of wiring diagrams) at guitarelectronics.com

LeftySteve said:
Hi,just a few questions from a total wiring beginner about soldering irons,wiring etc..etc.
1.Which size soldering iron would you guys recommend for wiring pots,pickups and jack sockets etc + what size tip/s
2.What gauge and type of wire do you use for connecting up pots to out put jack,toggle switches etc,and which type and gauge of wire do you use for grounding everything.
3.I understand you use rosin core solder for electrical soldering but I have read this can give off fumes which if inhaled can irritate your lungs(only asking due to having mild asthma).And if this is so is there any alternative or do I just have to wear a mask when soldering.
4.What gauge solder do you use for soldering guitar electrics.
I know some of these questions might sound dumb but I am a total beginner to wiring and soldering so wanted to be sure of what I needed before I purchase anything.Once I know what I need I will purchase everything and then I can practice soldering on some old pots I have before attempting my first warmoth build or upgrading pickups in some of my other guitars.
Any help most appreciated.
Thanks guys.

I use mostly... a 22watt iron.  Stranded, pretinned 20gauge wire, I think the solder is about .050 (rather small). 

Fumes CAN be a bit much, but if you have even the smallest fan blowing them away from your face, you'll be ok.... its not like, for instance, the cyanide capsule dropped in acid...

This last put together I did - I got a sanding stick from StewMac.  One of the all time greatest tools ever made.  <-- reread that!!!!!!  Get a few extra belt sizes...
1826_1lg.jpg

... these are available for a bit less cost elsewhere if you buy in bulk, and also in 3/8, 1/2 sizes too.  This thing has a billion uses one of which is to lighly smooth the back of the pot before soldering.  Just a few swipes of the sanding stick and you can solder with ease.  No Dremel, no heavy duty whatever. My 22w iron gets em soldered w/zero fuss.  Those sticks are worth ten times the small price paid.

I use a butane powered soldering iron to do this kind of work.  You have to be careful with hot irons though...  If the tip gets too hot the solder wont stick (it will not stay tinned) and the tip will oxidize rendering it useless (until the oxidation is removed).  As Jack said, always use rosin core solder, and you should avoid the lead free types as well (the different alloys have their caveats, and if you don't know what you're doing you will most likely run into problems), stick with 60/40.  I would also recommend using supplemental rosin flux when soldering larger surfaces (e.g., when soldering to pots or the tremolo claw), especially if your working with a hot iron because it will keep oxidation at a minimum.  You can remove the flux residue with a high percentage isopropyl alcohol (over 90%), or you can use any of the more expensive solvents (usually 99% isopropanol) marketed for rosin flux removal.

Phrygian said:
remove the flux residue with alcohol (over 90%)

drambuie.gif

I've always thought that Drambuie was a mix of flux solvent residue and creosote... which is why it has that great golden color, and the unique flavor of burnt phenolic resin (with a hint of lead oxides).

Seems to me CB, last time I saw you, CB enjoyed
more than his share of the magic mixture.

Creosote INDEED!   

If you want to know what wrong with me, I was breathing lead solder fumes in my bedroom at the age of seven.  I think that may have a greater intellectual impact, at any age, than Drambuie.  About ten years ago or so, I gave up lead and switched to Miller.

Back