New Neck and Question

JaySwear said:
i noticed the PRS 513 has almost no heel at all compared to the monster heel on the modern eagle!

513M10_heel.jpg

still a little big, but definitely not a normal PRS heel. its like they thought about sanding it down, but stopped halfway through haha
The heel is the same size, PRS just brought the body out to cover it up.

you're right actually. the body's just a little bigger. so actually that heel is worse haha

either way, i still want a PRS  :-\  i feel like if i can reach the 22nd fret on a les paul (or anything over 15 on any acoustic) then i can probably play a PRS heel

Death by Uberschall said:
JaySwear said:
i noticed the PRS 513 has almost no heel at all compared to the monster heel on the modern eagle!

513M10_heel.jpg

still a little big, but definitely not a normal PRS heel. its like they thought about sanding it down, but stopped halfway through haha
Ahhhhh, I didn't even notice that. Good eye, I guess then they're trying to give the illusion of a smaller heel....So they can charge 3x's more... :laughing11:

DangerousR6 said:
JaySwear said:

513M10_heel.jpg

Ahhhhh, I didn't even notice that. Good eye, I guess then they're trying to give the illusion of a smaller heel....So they can charge 3x's more... :laughing11:

I think PRS is trying to cover it up because I'm sure they get complaints about that heel being so big and affecting upper register playability. But knowing how PRS thinks, I'm sure there has to be a benefit with that larger heal.

DangerousR6 said:
JaySwear said:

I think PRS is trying to cover it up because I'm sure they get complaints about that heel being so big and affecting upper register playability. But knowing how PRS thinks, I'm sure there has to be a benefit with that larger heal.
If you go back and look at his earlier guitars, pre '94-'95, they had smaller heels way smaller. And this was also before he started using cnc to make his parts. So I doubt there's any science to it.... :dontknow:

DangerousR6 said:
DangerousR6 said:
JaySwear said:

If you go back and look at his earlier guitars, pre '94-'95, they had smaller heels way smaller. And this was also before he started using cnc to make his parts. So I doubt there's any science to it.... :dontknow:

I have a "pre-automation" factory Customer24 and it has the smaller heel. But I don't think the new heel is the result of switching to a CNC mill.

DangerousR6 said:
DangerousR6 said:
JaySwear said:

I have a "pre-automation" factory Customer24 and it has the smaller heel. But I don't think the new heel is the result of switching to a CNC mill.
That is quite possible, but being in the manufacturing biz for 22 yrs, and dealing with  R&D and engineers on a daily basis, almost any sort of changes are done for cost cutting reasons. But still i could be wrong, he may have had other reasonings behind his design change... :dontknow:

They moved to the new location (Kent Island) around late '94 - '95.  Before that, they were made in Annapolis. 
Mine is a '94, came out of the Annapolis factory (one of the last), and has the smaller heel.

I met a guy named John Ingram who is an ex-PRS employee. 
http://orkiespoil.com/  The parrot is real by the way, and he does nice work.

I had the chance to talk to him about the heel.
I mentioned 'ol Ed's argument for it, which goes as follows:
PRS decided to use a larger heel because by so doing, they didn't have to use as high quality wood.  When the heel was smaller, making a mahogany neck that long and thin required a very nice quartersawn piece of mahogany.  Switching to the larger heel allowed PRS to use inferior wood.  Bla bla bla, something like that.
Or so the argument goes.  Worth nothing that before Ed had this revelation, he was trying to buy up all the Annapolis PRS's he could get his hands on, mine included.
We call that a pump-and-dump in the equity world.

Being an ex-employee I figured he didn't have any reason to give me "the company line". 
So John had two things to say about that:
1.  Ed is a bla bla bla expletive salesman, expletive.
2.  They just sounded better.

Just to clarify something though.  The pick of the big heeled PRS rosewood neck posted earlier is a Custom 22.
Take a look at a new Custom 24, the heel isn't that much bigger.  Comparing apples to apples, the current Custom 24 heel isn't quite that bad.  It is definitely bigger though.

I believe PRS was trying to go after the Les Paul crowd with the Custom 22 and the beefier neck.
I remember when PRS first came out, and the Custom 24 was all there was basically, the general complaint at the time was that they sounded too thin.

I think the Custom 22 sounds closer to a Les Paul than a Custom 24 personally.

Anyway, I'm registered for Experience 2009, and I'll see if I can get more info on that.
...and I ain't partin' with my PRS.

I also want to apologize to JaySwear for COMPLETELY hijacking his thread.
:dontknow:

Watershed said:
They moved to the new location (Kent Island) around late '94 - '95.  Before that, they were made in Annapolis. 
Mine is a '94, came out of the Annapolis factory (one of the last), and has the smaller heel.

I met a guy named John Ingram who is an ex-PRS employee. 
http://orkiespoil.com/  The parrot is real by the way, and he does nice work.

I had the chance to talk to him about the heel.
I mentioned 'ol Ed's argument for it, which goes as follows:
PRS decided to use a larger heel because by so doing, they didn't have to use as high quality wood.  When the heel was smaller, making a mahogany neck that long and thin required a very nice quartersawn piece of mahogany.  Switching to the larger heel allowed PRS to use inferior wood.  Bla bla bla, something like that.
Or so the argument goes.  Worth nothing that before Ed had this revelation, he was trying to buy up all the Annapolis PRS's he could get his hands on, mine included.
We call that a pump-and-dump in the equity world.

Being an ex-employee I figured he didn't have any reason to give me "the company line". 
So John had two things to say about that:
1.  Ed is a bla bla bla expletive salesman, expletive.
2.  They just sounded better.

Just to clarify something though.  The pick of the big heeled PRS rosewood neck posted earlier is a Custom 22.
Take a look at a new Custom 24, the heel isn't that much bigger.  Comparing apples to apples, the current Custom 24 heel isn't quite that bad.  It is definitely bigger though.

I believe PRS was trying to go after the Les Paul crowd with the Custom 22 and the beefier neck.
I remember when PRS first came out, and the Custom 24 was all there was basically, the general complaint at the time was that they sounded too thin.

I think the Custom 22 sounds closer to a Les Paul than a Custom 24 personally.

Anyway, I'm registered for Experience 2009, and I'll see if I can get more info on that.
...and I ain't partin' with my PRS.
If what your source was saying is indeed the truth, then what I was pointing out would fall into place. It's all about money in the end, and they way I see it their guitars are costly enough so that they should be using the finest woods they can, and not resorting to methods of using lesser quality woods...

Watershed said:
I also want to apologize to JaySwear for COMPLETELY hijacking his thread.
:dontknow:

haha it's ok. if there's anything i like talking about it's guitars. PRS especially. i've been to the kent island factory. one of the cooler things i've ever seen

Well, you did push me off the edge.

Just ordered it:
Angled strat reverse headstock 24 3/4 scale conversion neck
Purpleheart neck
Wenge Fingerboard
No face dots
Side dots
1 11/16 nut
Grover/Gotoh tuners
'59 Roundback

:headbang:

nice! i would have been excited receiving a neck half as nice as mine. i couldn't believe how great it looked. 5 times better than the pictures in the neck showcase.

Back