New guy - first Warmoth buy

If you want to get a bit of an advance view of using an EMG loaded pickguard with a battery box you can check it in this post.

https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=30781.msg433012#msg433012

and this one from the same thread.

https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=30781.msg434209#msg434209

There are lots of good tube amps. What sort of cash are you looking to spend?

But a Boss Katana amp may do the job for you instead of a tube amp which can be higher maintenance.

Hey thanks for the links, they’re very helpful. As for the amp question, I’ve been looking into the Katana and everything I’ve read has been positive for the most part so that one is on the list. I’m looking to spend no more than $1k only because I know tube amps aren’t cheap.

I was also looking at the Blackstar HT amps but I’m hearing bad reviews on them, loud popping when you change from clean to gain but up until I heard those reviews I was just about sold on getting one or one of the ID Core amps. 

Geetars said:
I do have a question for you guys concerning amps, What’s a good tube amp that’s versatile enough to play blues, hard rock and metal?

The Fender Hot Rod series are pretty good. Most dislike the drive channel (the newer ones are apparently much better), but the clean channel is very very good. These amps are very often lauded as great "pedal platform" amps.
So if you are looking to use pedals for you dirt/overdrive/distortion/fuzz, they would be good.
That said the Hot Rod deluxe is 40 watts and very loud (and because of the pot they chose to use fore the volume it gets REALLY loud at 2). The Deville's are 60 watts.
the Blues Jr is 15 watts and I suspect much easier to get bedroom level volume, but also enough volume for a jam (and easy to lug around).

One aspect in favor of these amps is they are very popular and there are plenty on the used market at good prices.

Geetars said:
Hey thanks for the links, they’re very helpful. As for the amp question, I’ve been looking into the Katana and everything I’ve read has been positive for the most part so that one is on the list. I’m looking to spend no more than $1k only because I know tube amps aren’t cheap.

I was also looking at the Blackstar HT amps but I’m hearing bad reviews on them, loud popping when you change from clean to gain but up until I heard those reviews I was just about sold on getting one or one of the ID Core amps.

No problem on the links. Its one of the reasons I document some of the builds I do as they become useful references.

Remember for tube amps, they are a lot louder for a given wattage than a solid state amp. I have a fairly early Blackstar HT-5R and I have not heard the popping mentioned switching channels. Even that little 5 watt amp can be loud.

Here is a link of tube amp combos with a price filter, but you could do the same with heads of other price ranges to get an idea. One of the ones that I quite like the look of is the Marshall mini Silver Jubilee...

https://www.thomann.de/gb/tube_guitar_combos.html?price-first=679&price-last=877&ls=25&filter=true

As a FYI regarding watts and loudness.

Define loudness. If we are talking db
Most guitar speakers will present 92-94 db of Sound with 1 watt of power.
How many db are you looking to be at? 

Keep in mind a doubling of volume is a 10 db increase

Rule of thumb regarding wattage.  It takes 10x the wattage to double volume. So in reverse, you need 1/10th the power to cut volume in half.

You can see that each multiple of increase in wattage represents a 1db increase.

+ 3Db is actually double the volume and + 10 Db is what is generally perceived as being double the volume.

stratamania said:
+ 3Db is actually double the volume and + 10 Db is what is generally perceived as being double the volume.
True but I was keeping it simple. 
If something sounds twice as loud, it’s 10 db more.  2-3 db is the sensitivity of the human ear in a difference in volume.
IE: a nice boost for a solo is 6 db

TBurst Std said:
stratamania said:
If something sounds twice as loud, it’s 10 db more.  2-3 db is the sensitivity of the human ear in a difference in volume.

Another good example of when folks are looking for science to back up what they are subjectively perceiving with their ears as even volume is perceived differently than what is measurable and mathematically the case is probably a wild goose chase in the end.

stratamania said:
TBurst Std said:
stratamania said:

Another good example of when folks are looking for science to back up what they are subjectively perceiving with their ears as even volume is perceived differently than what is measurable and mathematically the case is probably a wild goose chase in the end.
Well your quote was actual vs perceived.  The q was regarding lower volumes.  I thing the concept of perceived is more important to the discussion. You and I can agree that 3db is the actual double, but you tell that to someone, they don’t believe us.  That’s why for forum communications, I use the rule of thumbs relative to perceived.

TBurst Std said:
stratamania said:
TBurst Std said:
stratamania said:

Well your quote was actual vs perceived.  The q was regarding lower volumes.  I thing the concept of perceived is more important to the discussion. You and I can agree that 3db is the actual double, but you tell that to someone, they don’t believe us.  That’s why for forum communications, I use the rule of thumbs relative to perceived.

Sure, perceived is of more practical use.
In your original statement you mentioned 10db is twice rather than sounds twice as loud. Hence the clarification.

You guys are killing me with all this technical stuff.......lol.

Seriously though, I use to own a Hot Rod Deville and even though I loved that amp it developed a serious volume issue (something about the solder joints) and I sold it at a huge loss. I don’t need an amp that’s going to make your ears bleed but something that just sounds good even when a newb like me is playing through it.

I do plan on purchasing some pedals, probably an Ibanez TS 9, a MXR EVH 5150 OD pedal, a wha and a noise suppressor. I’d be more than happy to look into some others if you guys happen to have some suggestions.

My setup for the longest time was a POD HD500X into a generic active monitor (an EV, don't remember the model exactly.)

Nowadays, the only thing that's changed is... I sold the speaker. Don't have a band to practise with, needed extra space in the apartment, and I've got headphones.

Since it's got a collection of multiple amp sims, I get a ton more options. Everything from a Deluxe Reverb to a Dual Rectifier. For gigging and recording, I just plug in direct. And, despite what the purists might think, I have gotten nothing but positive feedback on my tone, if they're even astute enough to mention it at all.

That said,  I second the Fender tube amps, if real amps are the way you want to go. I simulate a Deluxe Reverb on my primary channels these days. Gives you a nice clean canvas to splash color onto, if you've got good pedals. Just kicking on a simple tube screamer in front of that is one of the most satisfying sounds you can make with a Strat, in my opinion.

Some solid state amps can sound very good.  If I were in the market for a new amp, I'd consider a Quilter. 

Also, reflecting on the wattage discussion - for me the big takeaway re. wattage is power and headroom, not necessarily volume.  How many speakers do you want to push?  What are your headroom needs? 

IMO, finding the right speaker for your chosen amp/playing environment can take you a long way towards getting a good sound. 

I have a Fender Champion 100 212 amp. It sounds quite good but that last little bit of fullness you get with a tube amp is just not there. If I look for another tube amp, it will probably be a 50 watt one.

Hey! I just put an order in for a new guitar with EMG’s. From doing quite a bit of research I learned that the battery should last a while and they also sell a box for your chain that provides 9-18 volts and all you have to do is get a stereo cable.

I’m biased but I’ve seen you can get a THD Univalve for not much these days. My friend owns a Marshall Class 5 that sounds the business....

Looking forward to what you decide on!

Back