New Fretless build in progress, updated with pics

Cagey said:
I did a black Ebony neck recently before I fretted it. I should have taken pictures. But, I'm not sure it would have eased your fears. It was getting stainless frets and those were going to be leveled to within a gnat's eyelash. As pretty as it looks and as sublime as it feels, the real concern on fretless necks is that they don't have any hills/valleys in them. The slightest variation can cause problems. But, seriously: unless you go apeshit with the coarser grits in a concentrated area, you've got nothing to worry about. Once you get to the finer stuff, you're not changing the plane of the surface at all. If I were doing a fretless, I wouldn't hesitate. Burnish it, and make everybody envious.

So would you say stick to 600-2000?

Yes. I've tried going past 2000 but it didn't return any improvement even on the denser, tighter-grained woods like Pau Ferro and Ebony, so that seems to be a good stopping point.

Body came yesterday. Here are some pics

IMG_2219.jpg

h6CodR

IMG_2223.jpg

The body was ready in a month flat, which is incredible.  The wood is obviously beautiful.  My one thing is this odd blemish:

IMG_2227.jpg

I mean, I don't think it's worth sending it back over.  Once I put straplocks in, it won't matter really, it's pretty out of eyesight.  But I can't quite tell what it is, exactly.  I mean, it looks like a straight up gouge, but is it possibly just a natural thing in the wood?  It doesn't really look natural.  It's completely sanded and finished over, no texture to it.

Strange, inexplicable marks show up in wood all the time. Weather phenomena like a hard freeze at the wrong time, lightning strikes, high winds that cause stress cracks that eventually heal over, trauma from animals, insects or parasites, drought - the list is long. Sometimes we forget that when you're looking at a piece of wood large enough to make a guitar/bass body, the tree it came from may have seen 50 - 100 years of history, outdoors 100% of the time. Especially hardwoods, which can take forever to grow to useful sizes.

Looking great! The Pao Ferro headstock is a beautiful match for the Koa top, especially with the ebony fretboard.  :icon_thumright:

Those parts all together make a beautiful whole.  Nice choices.  Looking forward to seeing this progress toward completion.

BigSteve22 said:
Looking great! The Pao Ferro headstock is a beautiful match for the Koa top, especially with the ebony fretboard.  :icon_thumright:

Is that Pau Ferro? I went back through the thread and it's never identified, but it looks more like Goncalo Alves to me.

Cagey said:
BigSteve22 said:

Is that Pau Ferro? I went back through the thread and it's never identified, but it looks more like Goncalo Alves to me.
I do believe you're right, I don't know why I said Pao Ferro, just a momentary lapse of reason......  :icon_scratch:

Thanks, everyone!! I'm really excited to play it when it's done.  Looking at the "blemish" more, I do think it's a just a natural imperfection -- character.

And yeah, it's a walnut/koa body with a goncalo/black ebony neck

All done  :bananaguitar:

Attachments

• bass front.jpg
    bass front.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 27
  • bass back.jpg
    bass back.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
Back