NEW for 2020: More Compound Radius options!

aarontunes

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Staff member
2020 is here!! Finally, it's time for all our secrets to become known. Slowly. Over the next twelve months. Starting with this one:

Two new Compound Radius fretboards are now available as standard menu options. The are:
  • 9.5"-14"
  • 12"-16"
It's all explained here:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/zPnUHBd94xI[/youtube]

number-6-Maxwell-Smart.jpg

Almost exactly that much.... where's the 7.5?

Gonna be mean to The Aaron - you said ALL fingerboards are radiused.... Not classical fingerboards. Which makes me wonder - does Warmoth offer a FLAT fingerboard option?

Very cool. I'll have to give one of those a try on the next neck I purchase.

AirCap said:
Gonna be mean to The Aaron - you said ALL fingerboards are radiused.... Not classical fingerboards. Which makes me wonder - does Warmoth offer a FLAT fingerboard option?

Perhaps he was referring to "All Warmoth Fingerboards"....

Have there ever been any negative radius fingerboards? Not that I could see why you would want that, but surely somebody somewhere at one time must have thought it was a great idea...

Are these the only two new compound radius options there'll be or are others part of the secrets to be revealed later?

T89Rex said:
Are these the only two new compound radius options there'll be or are others part of the secrets to be revealed later?

Nope, that's it.

We were going to do a 10.5"-13", 11"-15.5", and 9.75"-11.655", but then we said "nah."

I don't know if it would be popular with everyone, but I definitely would second the 7.25" suggestion.

Yeah I'd have liked one starting at 7.25 but I imagine we're a small market. Very excited to see what else is revealed this year.

spe111 said:
I don't know if it would be popular with everyone, but I definitely would second the 7.25" suggestion.

I do.  :icon_biggrin:

At least I think I do.  :dontknow:

Not many people buying 7.25" radius any more. If we did 7.25"- 9.5" Compound, that could be a winner, but who knows. Not doing it now gives us something new to release in 2022!

Soooo...new radius options to consider for 2022:
  • 7.25"-9.5" Compound radius
  • Negative radius
  • Infinite radius

Have there ever been any negative radius fingerboards? Not that I could see why you would want that, but surely somebody somewhere at one time must have thought it was a great idea...

No, I can't imagine ANYONE thinking a reverse radius would be great idea unless they were a complete idiot.

Why is a straight radius an up-charge.  It's less work.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/HB-BwUl6W7c?t=411[/youtube]

(FFwd to 6:50 for conclusions)

amon said:

You would think. But, it's possible it takes the neck out of the "standard" workflow of the shop, which means more handling, etc. and so more time/attention which of course costs money. But, I'm just guessing.

Cagey said:
amon said:

You would think. But, it's possible it takes the neck out of the "standard" workflow of the shop, which means more handling, etc. and so more time/attention which of course costs money. But, I'm just guessing.

That's pretty much it.

For almost 40 years now Warmoth has been set up to produce the 10"-16" Compound Radius uber alles. It's what Ken felt was an improved design, and it has become a baked-in part of the W philosophy.

That may change in the future, or may not. Only the future knows.

Back