New Birdseye Maple/Rosewood Neck for Black Strat

dabluesman

My first Warmoth!  I found this in the showcase and had them paint the pegface black and finish the back in satin nitro.
-Vintage Modern, Standard Thin contour, Indian Rosewood on Birdseye Maple, Abalone Inlays

I am so impressed with it that I ordered a custom brazilian rosewood on bloodwood jass bass neck which should look awesome on the red fender highway one jazz body I have waiting.

W3.JPG

W4.JPG

W8.JPG

W1.JPG

W6.JPG

Wbox.jpg

I cant help but to think of Spinal Tap when I want to say it could be almost none more black.  I am going to try a black burst quilt maple pickguard on it, the pickguard is currently being made but probably wont be finished for a month or so.  I went with the black theme to match my  black jazz bass with matching pegface, together they make a very classy looking set. 
The body is 2009 fender am. std., overall tone was bright, a bit harsh on the treble so I put the graphtech saddles on it, then i discovered issues with block so I installed a callaham, now it's a tone monster & I couldn't be more happy about it  :headbang1:

I also like the mixing of different color hardware. The jack matches the saddles, the bridge matches the tuners. It wouldn't work on every guitar, but on this one it's great.

That's very cool that you noticed the matching color scheme.  I planned on the tuners and bridge matching but got really lucky with the saddles, its funny they kind of tie it all together. 

Here's a different shot of the birdseye
W5.JPG

Wow, what a great looking strat!  I personally would have used the parallel axis single coils to match the humbucker, but it looks great regardless.  How does the bridge pickup sound?  I've often thought those looked awesome and wondered how they sounded.

The Duncan is a PA-TB3b Blues Saraceno pickup and the single coils are Bill Lawrence Wilde L-280's.  The patb3, to me, sounds open like a '59 but the treble is not nearly as harsh or piercing, has rounded mids & tighter bass and overall it has a slight cocked wah pedal type tone.  It splits very well with the middle pickup.  I think its very versatile pickup, i'm using it with a 250K pot but It's a "no-load".

I like using 250k pots with humbuckers, makes the treble a little smoother and the tone as a whole a little "richer" in my ears.  Maybe I'm delusional.  Great looking guitar anyway!  I've been thinking about building my dad a strat and I may just model it after yours!

shanejw, I totally agree with you about 250k pots with humbuckers, "richer" is a great way to put it!  And thank you for the compliment, I am very proud of this guitar and by the way I found the black pearl knobs at qparts.com

Back