Is this ROSEWOOD? Or Wenge?

Lewguitar

It's a WD neck that I'd planned on using on a Warmoth Strat body.

When it arrived last night it looked very dark. Almost BLACK!

It also felt very dry.

Sprinkled a little mineral oil like I use on my cutting boards on a soft cloth, rubbed it in and THIS TIME it did turn BLACK.

By this morning a hint of brown started showing up.

But it certainly does not have the look of Indian or Brazilian rosewood.

I dunno...as each hour passes it looks more like extremely dark Rosewood so maybe it is....

Last edited:
It was very dry. Sharp fret ends sticking out along the whole 22 fret length on both sides,

Beautifully shaped neck...

Just dry as a bone!

My guess is wenge
I was about to give up and just say it's Rosewood! That's funny.

If it is, it's the BLACKEST ROSEWOOD I've ever seen.

Anyway, the seller gave me a deal when I bought it and now I know why. It is not the same neck as in the listing.

And this morning, he gave me an additional $100 refund and I accepted.

So the neck cost me $195 shipped.

It's growing on me.

I think it's too uniform and closed grain for wenge. There should be some wide grain distinctly showing in the curves, and the space between grain lines would have more contrast

Attachments

• IMG_20231205_151850088.jpg
    IMG_20231205_151850088.jpg
    865.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20231205_151902782.jpg
    IMG_20231205_151902782.jpg
    719 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20231205_151925174.jpg
    IMG_20231205_151925174.jpg
    870.3 KB · Views: 11
Another test is to stare at it really hard and see if you get any splinters in your eyeballs. Wenge is some persnickety stuff. Do not violate the sanctity of the wood surface or thou shalt regret it

This is VMS-19308 currently in the showcase - Dark Rosewood
VMS-19308a.JPG

This is WN-2531 also in the showcase. Wenge isn't just open grained, it's bordering on pitted, and there's a lot of light flecking visible in the pores - both in my cell phone shot and the pro shots from the W. The rosewood looks like chocolate by comparison (probably because of the oil content)

WN-2531a.JPG

15 posts to go for 1000. Don't let em bully you bro.
lol what is amazing is that this board has an Ignore function baked into it (as most forums do) but rather than use that, they quote replied to tell me they are "not listening" to me. more effort could not have gone into clumsily making that point lmao

(note my use of they to avoid assuming gender - I can be quite considerate and inclusive in the face of incredibly mild adversity)

to be fair, tho it's not even bullying if we r being honest. real bullying would be like when i was in elementary school being teased about of the largeness of my head, and i even had rocks thrown at me (due to the size making me an easier target).

eventually Ms Calliope was transferred to teach English in a different school district and the bullying ended.

This was not one of em, but Rob posts about 3 wacky humorous posts for every serious post. I could see a newcomer not knowing how to process that. He's pretty harmless.

I think Lew was making a joke. It's like in my office when someone sends an email. At least here in NY when someone says, "that's great", if he says it in the right way it means the opposite, some times it's hard to tell from the written word. I think Lew actually likes you B-rob.

Back