My first neck build! Raw Lumber

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
Nice that the template worked out.
I wonder if they make a 24.75x24 version.

Could order a 24.75 scale 24 fret pre-slotted fretboard blank then just adjust the length of the neck and the nut position to intonate.

rob91bob said:
Thanks guys! Just so everyone knows, the maple/rosewood one is a Warmoth Mustang neck, cut down the headstock and did my own inlays.

I Love the thumbnail inlays!  How did you do them?

I ordered the precut inlay from

http://www.luthiersupply.com/

I superglued them to masking tape on the fretboard in the desired position and then used an x-acto knife to score the outline. Once marked well removed them and hand chiseled out the rosewood with some micro chisels. Superglued them in then filled any gaps with some rosewood grain fill.

Yeah, the contour work is really what amazes me. There's no template for that.

You can make a template for the cross section of the neck in a few places, but I found the easiest to do is to run a round file down to the finished thickness to give a reference then just shave away. Once you get it close take a long strip of 80 grit and work it up and down the neck, don't use a shoe shine motion.

rob91bob said:
TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
Nice that the template worked out.
I wonder if they make a 24.75x24 version.

Could order a 24.75 scale 24 fret pre-slotted fretboard blank then just adjust the length of the neck and the nut position to intonate.

Good idea.

Thanks everyone! I picked up a top(an acoustic back) for the body for this neck over the weekend. Pau Rosa, beautiful book match. My plan right now is to do a chambered MusicMan Axis style body, African mahogany with this top, string through TOM and P90's, maybe a piezo bridge or maybe I am being ambitious.

That top is a good color match for the neck. Looking forward to seeing how you utilize it.

Not sure if this thread should stay in the work in progress or moved, mods feel free to move if needed. The guitar will no longer have any Warmoth parts. I got the body partially complete over the weekend.

African Mahogany with chambers in a MM Axis design.

One can never have too many clamps

Pau Rosa top, I am going to bind the top with cream binding, cream P-90 pickups, looking for suggestions on what brand. and either a TOM bridge or a Schaller Hannes bridge.

I'm a huge fan of my Roadhouse True Blue P90's.  Although I just looked at Ken's website, and it looks like he's putting the business on hiatus, so they may be hard to come by.  You can have mine when you pry them from my cold, dead fingers.

Back