My first neck build! Raw Lumber

rob91bob

As I gain skills and learn I am branching out into new territory. During my acoustic guitar building class I took this spring I built my first neck under the guidance of my instructor. Now it's time to build my own neck.  I am using a standard fender 25.5 inch template, 1 11/16 nut width, a Stewmac spoke wheel truss rod and a warhead inspired headstock design.

The wood - I am looking for strength and stability above all for this build, I purchased some 1/4 sawn Makore and 1/4 sawn maple for a laminate.

Rough cut them on my table saw and hand planed the edges true to glue up the blank.
IMG_2003.jpg

IMG_2004.jpg

Routed the neck blank using the fence for the truss rod slot and then using a template and pattern bit for the shape, free hand cut the headstock for sanding on my spindle sander(which broke last weekend).

IMG_2006.jpg

This weekend will be installing a pre-slotted and radius fretboard, trim to size, install fret dots(blue ice glow in the dark) then let it settle for a few weeks to level sand the board.

These are among my fav posts.  Good luck and very exciting to live this with you via your pics!

This is off to a good start. Another good one to follow. :icon_thumright:

Thanks everyone. I am enjoying this process and love to hear the words of encouragement from you all. I got the neck template with a complete strat template kit on ebay. 1/2 mdf and very nice quality. Fit's in one of my warmoth bodys pretty good, next time I router out one I will put a layer or two of masking tape on it to make it a touch tighter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Stratocaster-Guitar-Router-Template-Set-wNeck-CNC-Strat-1-2-MDF-Strat/272782535043?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Lots of progress today!

Granadillo fretboard, I think the color really goes well with the makore/maple neck.

IMG_2035.jpg

Spoke nut truss rod

IMG_2036.jpg

Blue glow fret dots from Stewmac, not exactly impressed with them.

IMG_2040.jpg

Lots of material to remove, went with .815 at the first fret and .875 and the 12th

IMG_2038.jpg

IMG_2055.jpg

IMG_2047.jpg

IMG_2052.jpg

The headstock and my logo.

IMG_2048.jpg

I have to order fret wire and figure out what tuners to use. Either Gotoh locking or Hipshot locking.

Looks fantastic! Great job! I agree about the fretboard wood - nice match-up.

I really admire your progress.  I never had the stones to tackle a neck from scratch.  Your looks amazing.

Thanks guys!

Put my logo on it this evening while working on my Musicaster neck.

IMG_2067_2.jpg

IMG_2076.jpg

IMG_2068.jpg

Satin lacquer on the headstock and some tru oil on the rest of the neck.

Thanks guys! Just so everyone knows, the maple/rosewood one is a Warmoth Mustang neck, cut down the headstock and did my own inlays.

Back