most resonant body??

cooler23

Hi.Can it be said that one particular wood is usually more resonant than other (resonant for me means lot of unplugged volume and long sustain)? Or does the resonance of the body depends rather from piece to piece than wood to wood? Or maybe the weight, construction, shape, humidity of the wood? What are the facts? Thanks

you might want to review this data :

http://scitation.aip.org/journals/doc/ASALIB-home/
http://www.johnsongtr.com/Tips.90.0.html#wdref
www.springerlink.com/index/t2788827q388431p.pdf
www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/tonetipswoodresonancethe/

As a general rule of thumb , density , thickness , dryness and finish all enter into the equation .

Very generally speaking, a lighter, less dense piece of wood will tend to be more resonant than one less so, regardless if one is comparing two pieces of the same species or different ones. That being said, the operative word in the sentence is "tend", as no two pieces of wood are exactly alike, sometimes when even cut from the same tree or rough slab.

"does the resonance of the body depends rather from piece to piece than wood to wood?" Yes to all the above.

If the question revolves around your wanting to ascertain what wood choice to make for a Warmoth build, you have numerous options:

1.) Select a body of your wood choice that is "very/ultra light", typically this goes for a bit of a premium.
2.) Warmoth usually has mahogany and swamp ash choices available in the "very/ultra light" category, mahogany is always a good choice. Adding a maple or other exotic lam top to "pretty it up" isn't going to change the resonance factor of the body in any appreciable way.
3.) There are multiple choices for chambered hollow bodies like the Strats or Teles or semi-hollow bodies like the L5S or Thinline, these can be even more resonant, even allowing for heavier/denser woods. A couple of my best sounding/resonant builds are a hollow Black Korina VIP and a semi-hollow  Black Korina L5S.

I always felt that my basswood star guitar was really loud uplugged. Other people even commented on it. You could feel the thing vibrating. It was way too light though. My hollow option mahogany LP is pretty loud too, unplugged. It's a tad muddy on the low end though, but OK for me. I'm not sure that volume unplugged does any good when it's plugged in, but when I think of resonance, that's what I think of.

To jackthehack: thank you very much...that really helped!  :icon_thumright:

To GoDrex: thank you too...it's interesting that basswood is that resonating. In my country there is a belief that basswood used in guitars tends to have lot of wolfs and deadspots and we say the wood is "lying". But from what you say and mr. Parker do with his guitars it seems that it's not true. Funny for me that Jeff Beck's favourite Strat has a basswood body ;)

So generally - light or very light woods and hollow or thinline option is the key to the more resonating body.... OK I will rember that.

Please, keep posting!!! Thank you

Unplugged volume and most sustain are contradictory.  The more energy goes into vibrating the body to make sound, the more comes out of the vibrating string that makes it sustain.

You'd probably get the most volume with a wood like spruce, that is used in acoustic guitar tops.  And you'd probably get the most sustain (unplugged) out of something like wenge that is very stiff and heavy.

Back