Maton Custom Order Country Jumbo Acousric Guitar.

O

OzziePete

Hi all

I briefly mentioned this in another Thread and was waiting til the order process had been completed so I knew it was a certainty to go ahead.

My mother, Dulcie, passed away just prior to Christmas '09 after a long battle with dementia.

My Mum was probably the one I took my passion for music from, and even when I was a kid at home, thrashing away ona  100w Transistor H & H amp and rattling the windows, she never told me to 'turn it down'. Merely would close the door in the main corridor of the house and isolate my noise from the main living room area. I guess Mum must have hosed down a fair bit of neighbourhood annoyance too, but I never heard of that. We never much spoke about it, but I guess she realised that the music was, at stages, my one and only passion, and just let me be and pleased I wasn't passionate about something else that might have been less character building or whatever.

The day after putting Mum to rest I was in Gosford walking around and happened to walk into a music store. They had a range of acoustic guitars up on the wall, and for some reason I immediately thought of a custom guitar in Mum's honour.

Speaking briefly with this store's owner, I realised I could achieve two life long goals in one by getting a custom Maton guitar.

Maton is an Australian company that has been making guitars since 1946. As a kid a schoolfriend of mine was given a very nice 12 string Maton acoustic as a birthday present from his parents and it impressed the hell out of me. I've always wanted a Maton acoustic of some sort or other.

But I ended up buying an Ovation acoustic in those days. The Ovation sounds more mandolin-ish than guitar in tone, very bell like sound and not much wood in the timbre of the instrument. I have no arguments about the Ovation, it is what it is and I have recorded on it and comes back in the studio monitors sounding very nice indeed. But yeah, I have always thought a nice woody sounding Maton would complement...

As my Mum battled her illness for over 10 years, I would be affected by what I witnessed when I visited her, it is something that tears at your heart in so many directions. You want your Mother's suffering to finish, or at least have your original mother back, not the incoherent shadow you witness. Then you realise you were essentially wishing your mother dead and feel horrible for that thought! There were plenty of times after leaving the nursing home over these years, that I'd be a mess emotionally then have to shake myself down and get back to work or get on with things. The final week of so when Mum was finally succumbing to associated illnesses was traumatioc to witness, particularly after giving the directions for no more treatment and switching over to Palliative Care - and having to accepot your responsibility for that decision. Yes, it was the right decision to make, but no, it doesn't make it any easier to reconcile what you have decided for your mother. During this long period of seeing my mother's health slowly deteriorate I kept distracting myself and thought of all sorts of grand things to do once my duties as her son were finished. One thing I AM good at is day dreaming I guess! And I thought of  acustom guitar, or at least one that would be fitting to be in Mum's honour.

There's a neat fit between Maton - a long established Australian company, a need for a good acoustic guitar, and a need to honour my Mum.

Mum was fiercely Australian having grown up through the Great Depression and been a war bride through WW2. Mum never travelled far from Sydney, so to get a Martin (US made) acoustic or, heaven forbid, something sounding so Japanese as a Takamine  :eek: , would not do a memorial for Mum any justice (Mum's generation was one who had a great suspicion of Asian peoples due to their experiences through WW2, and while I certainly do not hold those views, I understand that to get something from an Asian manufacturer would have made the whole 'memorial to Mum' thing a joke).

With the order process now complete I can now list the specs of the guitar that Maton will make for me.

BODY SHAPE: Jumbo size, Venetian (soft) cutaway

SOUNDBOARD: 'AAA' select grade solid Sitka Spruce.

BACK & SIDES: Highly figured solid Blackwood

NECK: Mahogany

FINGERBOARD: Ebony. Bound in Ivory like plastic. No fret dots on face of Fingerboard, only Block M-O-P on 12th Fret with "Dulcie" engraved, then the Southern Cross constellation laid out in inlays from 12-21 frets. Side markers on binding.

BRIDGE: Ebony.

HEADSTOCK: Figured Blackwood Veneer Keyhole with M-O-P Maton Logo.

ROSETTE: Ebony & M-O-P

MACHINE HEADS: Gold Grover Rotomatic with Ebony Buttons.

NUT/ SADDLE: Bone

PICKUP SYSTEM: APMic system

BODY OUTERBINDING: Ivory (plastic)

BODY INNER BINDING: Triple Pin stripe

FINISH - BACK & SIDES: Dark Sunburst High Gloss

FINISH - TOP: Honey/Vintage High Gloss

*comes complete with Maton Hiscox Flight Case.

Completion estimated in 10-12 weeks. Work to be done by the one builder/luthier.

Houston we have lift off! :hello2: :toothy11:

Take a look at the Maton website, check out their Custom Shop link and download their Custom Shop .pdf file. Basically, my guitar will be a cross between the TE50 and The Bronzed Aussie.
http://www.maton.com.au/pdf/Maton_Custom_shop.pdf

Once again, I'm sorry about your mom's passing away.

I hope this Maton is everything you hope for and more.  :icon_thumright:

Yeah sorry if the preamble about the reason behind this guitar sounds like a broken record..... I'm looking forward to this coming to fruition and of course, pix or it doesn't exist!

Pete

I'm looking forward to seeing the pics.  Those Blackwood bodies look really good.  A friend of mine has the TE2 and another had a 12 string (not sure which model).  The Tommy Emanuel sounds awesome.  Considered getting one myself, but ended up with the Taylor in my avatar as I preferred the neck profile.

It will be a stunning tribute to your mum.  :icon_thumright:

chrisg said:
Pete

I'm looking forward to seeing the pics.  Those Blackwood bodies look really good.  A friend of mine has the TE2 and another had a 12 string (not sure which model).  The Tommy Emanuel sounds awesome.  Considered getting one myself, but ended up with the Taylor in my avatar as I preferred the neck profile.

It will be a stunning tribute to your mum.  :icon_thumright:

I have long had an issue with Maton that will hopefully be overcome by the custom order specs. They simply look plain. Their finishes on their production models is usually quite a satin or matt finish, and usually they also just apply a clear finish. That's not so much a bad thing for me, but I undestand to others that may look cheap. Looks wise a Maton acoustic can look quite ordinary. Stepping up for a custom order I want something that looks class allround. That means specifying a high gloss finish and staining of woods.

I undestand from trawling some acoustic guiatr forums that Blackwood is getting some rave reviews as a suitable replacement for some established tonewoods like Koa, Rosewood and Mahogany. The suggestion to go for the mahogany neck was indeed the store salesman's suggestion, he simply did not have a lot of confidence about trusting Blackwood over the full scale neck length for long term stability, and I took his counsel on that. Any darkness introduced to the overall tone by the mahogany should be countered by the ebony fretboard.

Also, from what I have learnt ot date about acoustics, there is probably 3 or 4 different body shapes and each has it's speciality application (except for maybe the Dreadnought shape which is arguably best rated as an allrounder). The Jumbo shape is best noted for those who employ more strumming of chords etc. than fingerpicking, and that's what my playing of acoustic guitar is most like. In the Maton range they make a very well credentialled '808' shape for bluegrass and fingerpicking styles, but that's not my style at all. Because I chose the Jumbo, going for Engelmann Spruce might have been a structural risk over that spread of a soundboard, Sitka Spruce was the much preferred choice.

Many thanx to those offering condolences. Class people here - it's appreciated. :icon_thumright:

Enough's been said,  now for the pix.......  :icon_biggrin: The building has started. Pix courtesy of Maton.

tn5.jpg

Gimme a break Max!  :laughing7:  I'm an oldie struggling with uploading off photobucket and doing it at 4;40AM!! :sad: :help: Will get there soon...

tn3.jpg

(Note the   ^ ^ ^ figured Blackwood on the sides of the body, in the press )

I must also add that the professionalism from both Maton and The Guitar Factory at Gladesville, NSW, Australia are to be commended thus far. Very good experience to date.

P.S. If the Mods or others feel that this Thread is inappropriate for this forum, please let me know and I will delete or lock Thread. My intention for posting this is to showcase a custom acoustic guitar order for those who may have an interest (it's not often you get to see a guitar built from scratch), not to spam for Maton or The Guitar Factory. I dunno how many more pix I may get from Maton.

NonsenseTele said:
The pics are a little small, but I could see lovely figuring on there  :glasses9:

I got them as thumbnails in my Yahoo email account then trasferred over to Photobucket. They weren't big .jpg's to start off with I'm afraid. :-\ But at least there's some pix to see of it, before it is completed a couple of months away.

I want to just make sure that people here are very clear about one aspect of this Order.

THIS IS A CUSTOM ORDER, NOT A PRODUCTION MODEL UPGRADED.

Custom means that I have sat down with a guy at Guitar Factory, gone over what I wanted and then requested Maton to quote on it. The quote came back to me for final approval and now I have paid the deposit, Maton (specifically Andy Allen) have commence the work on the instrument. It is a custom build from scratch, OK?

While I have used body shape, wood selection, hardware and adornments that people may see, in part, on one production model or another, this is my choice and one that Maton are happy to build for me.

I could have, I guess, gone much more extravagent and designed my own body shape and suggested woods that Maton may never have worked with before, but it was my choice to be conservative so I knew exactly how this would all look like, before it was finished.

I like their Country Jumbo cutaway shape, and their keyhole headstock so it is in my selection. Not because it was an 'option'. I could have requested something that Maton are not doing and their Custom Shop would have quoted for that.

While the finished instrument will look mightily similar to production-made Matons, it is indeed a very unique instrument made at their Custom Shop by Andy Allen.

For me, this order is a once in a lifetime indulgence I guess. I cannot justify further indulgences like this as I am simply not that good a player to warrant that sort of instrument. I did, however, wished to share this experience with those here, so you can see that dealing with Maton's Custom Shop is worth the wait....

I have been exchanging emails this week with Maton, and the staff there are very professional in this area of customer relations. The one thing they did want emphasised is that orders such as this are not enhanced production models & that people like Andy Allen are genuine craftsmen in creating instruments such as this. :icon_thumright:

Wow, I really don't know how I missed this thread.  :sad1:

That sounds like one truly outstanding guitar.  It's going to sound huge!

Just got off the phone talking to Andy Allen. Impressive guy, great CV that he has. Very broad Aussie accent, ha ha.... comes across as a real nice guy who genuinely cares about the quality of the guitar he produces (mind you he IS the Custom Shop @ Maton so it is his reputation he is making here too).

We went over the build of the guitar, he has been able to get some great fiddleback Blackwood for the back and sides of the body. He has cut the nut width of the neck to 1 11/16", done a bit of flattening out of the fretboard in the upper register, started out as 12" radius at the nut. This is all to my specs I might add.

He has now done what he can to bring the guitar to life, and he is today issuing instructions to the paint shop on what staining and finishing I require.

A couple of photos, courtesy of Maton, below:

007.jpg

Fiddleback Blackwood body prior to finish... Get the tissues out Fernando! :icon_thumright:

0093.jpg

Spruce top, Rosette made of Ebony and Mother of Pearl.... Inlay at 12th fret with Mother's name in Englsih script. Prior to finish.

OzziePete said:
Just got off the phone talking to Andy Allen. Impressive guy, great CV that he has. Very broad Aussie accent, ha ha.... comes across as a real nice guy who genuinely cares about the quality of the guitar he produces (mind you he IS the Custom Shop @ Maton so it is his reputation he is making here too).

We went over the build of the guitar, he has been able to get some great fiddleback Blackwood for the back and sides of the body. He has cut the nut width of the neck to 1 11/16", done a bit of flattening out of the fretboard in the upper register, started out as 12" radius at the nut. This is all to my specs I might add.

He has now done what he can to bring the guitar to life, and he is today issuing instructions to the paint shop on what staining and finishing I require.

A couple of photos, courtesy of Maton, below:

007.jpg

Glad that's not my guitar. Its too pretty for me to play. I'd shrink wrap it and stick it somewhere dark and only look at it with night vision goggles so no UV hits it.

knucklehead G said:
Glad that's not my guitar. Its too pretty for me to play. I'd shrink wrap it and stick it somewhere dark and only look at it with night vision goggles so no UV hits it.

It will be played, G. but it is definitely a stay at home type of guitar, not for pub gigs! The amazing thing about this, is this is exactly how I thought the guiatr would look, Andy has nailed the look of the guitar, and I have complete confidence that it will sound like magic when strummed.

This has defintely made my day getting this call and the photos, and it all coincides with my birthday tomorrow! (which Maton had no idea about, freaky eh?)

Back