Maton Custom Order Country Jumbo Acousric Guitar.

SlingBass said:
A remarkable guitar!  Your input along with the builder's skills make that a stunning treasure  

That's a great compliment SB, THANX.  :eek:ccasion14:

Thank you, sincerely, to everyone for allowing me to post this Thread and all the positive comments. I appreciate that.

I was quite impressed by both Maton's approach to the order and The Guitar Factory at Gladesville were the perfect fit for me wanting to do this. I've played the guitar now so much "I HAVE BLISTER ON MA FINGERS!!!". :laughing7:

Top, highest marks to Andy Allen @ Maton. I cannot believe that this guy perfectly matched what my mind was thinking when I specced this guitar out. The amazing thing that really highlights Andy's work is the very fact that I am straight into playing the guitar, when usually I find myself adjusting to how a guitar feels when I get one new. The neck profile is so much a damn near perfect fit for me, it feels like I have been playing it for years. That, to me, is the most pleasing thing about this guitar - I am not unfamiliar with it at all when playing. Sure, when I look at it, I firstly think it has to be someone else's guitar then realise it's MINE, but then playing it is as good as the Tele I built or the old Strat or Epiphone - all guitars I have had for years and very used to.

The other staff at Maton were also very good with their customer service, giving my enquiries a heap of respect which I greatly appreciated. Same goes for the people at The Guitar Factory whom I placed the order through.

When I picked this guitar up, I glanced up at the acoustic guitars they had up on the wall. A GibsonJ200 with a moustache bridge, a Guild Jumbo 12 stringer and a Martin Dreadnought. I asked Steve how this Maton compared. With all the aplomb honesty that a veteran sales guy can muster  :laughing8: , he plainly put it that the Maton I had had custom built, is all over the Gibson and the Guild and probably the Martin too. Yet these production guitars retail for more, or close to,  what my Maton cost  :icon_thumright: ?

I will see what it will cost to have the guitar professionally photographed as Max had suggested. The guy at work works different hours to me for half a month, every month, so it may be easier just to take the guitar to a photo studio and have them do some pix. I will probably also need to have extensive photos for my insurance home contents policy!

Thanx to the mods at this forum too, for allowing this Thread to happen. I mentioned a manufacturing competitor a lot here in this Thread and I never meant it in any way to sleight anything that Warmoth does.... and I don't think that has happened at all. I felt, however, that it would be an interesting Thread for those who may have an interest in acoustic guitars and how a manufacturing company handles a custom guitar request. I thank them for their diplomacy.

Once I get decent pix I will place them here and then lock the Thread. Again, thanx for all the postive comments and condolences, it has helped me through a very sad and difficult time and through the grieving process.

P.S. Did I mention that I was so impressed by The Guitar Factory's work with me on this order, that I bought an AER Alpha combo amp to go with the guitar? Nice little amp: 40w, MOSFET circuitry, crystal clear, good reverb and balanced DI (XLR) outputs and some other professional features.

http://www.aer-amps.info/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1&category_id=1&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=93

The amp, the Peterson Tuner and this guitar, can't get much better for acoustic playing I reckon.

I don't think there's a need to lock the thread. Maton is not a competitor to Warmoth. Warmoth is Fender replacement, Maton is high quality acoustic.

Max said:
I don't think there's a need to lock the thread. Maton is not a competitor to Warmoth. Warmoth is Fender replacement, Maton is high quality acoustic.

Nah, fair's fair Max. Warmoth have been generous with their bandwidth on this Thread. I agree that Maton is not a direct competitor to Warmoth, but if you could only buy or build one guitar a year, or similar, then that places them into competition with each other for your budget. The price of the production Matons would possibly equate to a decent Warmoth project, here in Oz. Dunno how Matons are priced OS, they may retail for more  - and the Warmoth parts may cost less to get them in more local shipping addresses. Agree that an acoustic vs. electric guitar comparison is like comparing apples vs. oranges.

BIt the bullet and bought a digital cam that was of some quality. Hopefully these two pix show up well (still learning cam).

P1000005.jpg

AAA BLACKWOOD BACK & SIDES, AAA MAHOGANY NECK, GOLD GROVER TUNING KEYS.

P1000004.jpg

TRIED TO CAPTURE THE 3D EFFECT OF THE FINISH ON THE BACK. MAGICAL FINISH .

P1000015.jpg

THE UBIQUITOUS POOLSIDE SHOT!
( Taken late in the afternoon, flash seems to change the tone of the shot to a more reddish-orange tint. The guitar is not as orangey-red as this )

NonsenseTele said:
Looks amazing!!!
What a bottom! :eek:

Ah you cracked me up with this comment Fernando.  :laughing3:

Baby's got back, eh?  :icon_thumright:

More bottom Nando...(like the 3D effect of the horizontal stripes, on the right hand side of the picture. Hard to capture.)

ReviewNOTE3d2.jpg

Head stock shot

Headstock.jpg

Morning Glory shot...

Morningglory.jpg

This about the closest I could get to the actual colour of the front.

RosetteEngravingBridge.jpg

NonsenseTele said:
Yes, it has a great 3D effect! Love it!

The wood is AAA Victorian Blackwood. There's two types of Blackwood mainly used for things like Furniture and musical instruments, Victorian and Tasmanian. Maton have the advantage of the Victorian Blackwood being in their home state & have used it for years. Tasmanian Blackwood has a better figuring, I'm lead to believe, but it is harder to source as the State of Tasmania has a lot of National Parks that locks out commercial forestry...

I know you have an interest in woods like this, tonally the Blackwood is somewhere in the vicinity of Mahogany and Koa (for acoustic guitars). Although Maton will make a neck out of Blackwood, I was advised to go for the tried and tested mahogany (AAA Mahogany in this case).

Tonally this guitar is quite balanced, though the body shape and ebony board does lend itself to giving the guitar a bit of a boomy voice. Responds well to a good spanking!  :evil4:

Just saw the finished pictures. WOW! They did a fantastic job. Man, I don't mean to overstep any bounds but their page doesn't list any prices. How much did that cost you?
MULLY

mullyman said:
Just saw the finished pictures. WOW! They did a fantastic job. Man, I don't mean to overstep any bounds but their page doesn't list any prices. How much did that cost you?
MULLY

PM sent to you, Mully. I do wanna keep the price private, but it was a lot more than a production Maton.

OzziePete said:
Max said:

Nah, fair's fair Max. Warmoth have been generous with their bandwidth on this Thread. I agree that Maton is not a direct competitor to Warmoth, but if you could only buy or build one guitar a year, or similar, then that places them into competition with each other for your budget. The price of the production Matons would possibly equate to a decent Warmoth project, here in Oz. Dunno how Matons are priced OS, they may retail for more  - and the Warmoth parts may cost less to get them in more local shipping addresses. Agree that an acoustic vs. electric guitar comparison is like comparing apples vs. oranges.

No worries, though you may owe me a pint if I ever end up on your side of the pond OzziePete.  We want this to be educational and it is always great to see someone get their dream guitar.

Back