Maton Custom Order Country Jumbo Acousric Guitar.

Hey Mully, thanx for the compliments.  :icon_thumright:

Yeah my Mum's generation bore a grudge after their experiences in WW2.  My Dad's experience through WW2 was very minor but you'd swear he was in Sandakan by the way he spoke about "The Nips"...  Mind you, I was very priveleged to get to know someone who was a survivor of Changi and was working as slave labour in and around the Hiroshima Docks & coal loading operations when the big one when off!  He didn't see the explosion but felt it from the underground bunker he was coralled into by the guards. But Jack was very very much a gentile man and not at all carrying a grudge. He did, however, get to give evidence in a War Crimes Trial in Tokyo after the war and he did get some revenge exacted by having a few people in serious trouble for having a Prisoner of War working for the enemy. But in the main my parents' generation in Australia did have a xenophobia towards the Asians.

I have kinda rebelled against that a bit, my last girlfriend was Chinese - who had her own dislike of the Japanese after what happened to her home city when they invaded in 1937 and what happened to her Aunties, great Aunties and cousins of that generation at the hands of the Japoanes Imperial Army. And I've always been more attracted to women from other cultures than my own... :dontknow:

But seriously, Mully, my Mum wasn't very prejudiced, but there was a sort of non-mention of the Asian peoples across the board and often the news stories and contemporary commentary of that time, were much like what made Barry Humphries a very rich man through his protrayals of Dame Edna and Sir Les Patterson - very patronising to say the least. And I should balance it up a bit, by saying that many people who knew my Mum would readily say that she was a little woman with a very big heart. She did move with the times as much as she could, and tried very hard to adapt when the big changes all happened in society in the 1960s and 70s...
chrisg said:
OzziePete said:
NonsenseTele said:
That's awesome Pete!!
That five star thing is the logo of a football team here in Brazil: Cruzeiro...
Thanx Fernando, was wondering when you'd get around to seeing it - I know you like naked wood!

That constellation of stars is known in Australia as The Southern Cross.

It's an integral part of our national flag and also that of New Zealand's (our not so distant, sheep loving cousins from 'across the ditch'  :laughing7:).

The Southern Cross has featured in a lot of Australiana, we have a close bond to that symbol, but be buggered if most of us Aussies would know where to find it in the night sky! :dontknow:  :doh:
I should point out that most Aussies seem more interested in NZ sheep than Kiwis do  :laughing11:

Now you know I cannot let that comment slip by........... :laughing7:

The reason why we are more interested in NZ sheep is that they are better trained and put up less fight than our Aussie sheep!

NonsenseTele said:
It's called the same here: Cruzeiro do Sul...

It can be spoted on sky here, but I can't remember where... Have been a long time since I've watched the sky at night

If you are anything like me Fernando, that last time you looked at the stars was when you were flat on your back, dead drunk & couldn't find your way home! For me, that must have been New Years Eve about 2007 - flat on my back on the foreshore of Brisbane Waters in Gosford til about 2 AM.... :eek:ccasion14:

Yeah, not too much hatred of Asians in my family. My grandfather (American Air Force) adopted my mom (Japanese child), and my dad (American) married her. Only so much dislike we can have :p

OzziePete said:
chrisg said:
I should point out that most Aussies seem more interested in NZ sheep than Kiwis do  :laughing11:

Now you know I cannot let that comment slip by........... :laughing7:

The reason why we are more interested in NZ sheep is that they are better trained and put up less fight than our Aussie sheep!
I thought you were going to say 'Better Looking"  :toothy11:

Back on topic...

I was advised last week that my mother's Ashes had been placed in their memorial placque but hadn't had a chance to get out to western Sydney to see the placque and how Mum & Dad - look together again. Wanted to take some photos so ventured out there today after work, so I could send them off to my sisters who have little chance of getting there to see personally.

As I was leaving the Cemetery the phone (on my belt) went off & as I was trying to get home (miles away, crosstown and then north out of city), I decided to let it go to voicemail. Thought it was a work mate who I had just earlier SMS'd.

When I got to the northern part of Sydney and about to get onto freeway outta the place, I checked the message.

It was The Guitar Factory saying that the guitar had arrived at their shop and everyone who has seen it has had plenty of 'oooh/aaaah' moments. No photos from Maton so I guess they wanted the final look to shock.

Rang Steve at Guitar Factory, he's amazed at the finished product - and he's seen a few - but my work schedule won't let me get out there til Saturday morning at the earliest. So on Saturday morning I pick it up!

Thinking as I hit the freeway after to talking to Steve, that it was very eerie that the Guitar Factory's call came through when I was at the Cemetery after seeing my mother's placque for the first time  :eek: , but let it go to voicemail... This guitar has GOT to have some mojo about it.

Plenty of pix after I pick it up on Saturday, it's Wednesday evening  (17:15Hrs) as I type this and I somehow suspect the next 48 + hours or so is going to be distracting.

48 hrs and counting.  I love that anticipation, and it already sounds great.  Great Karma on the timing of the phone call; I'm looking forward to seeing this.

Couldn't hold out til Saturday, so called out to shop after work on Friday arvo. :binkybaby:

Very impressed with the visual appearance of guitar,  but it will be near impossible to do this guitar justice and post up good pix of it, particularly the back of the body - that is simply amazing. The Blackwood horizontal stripes do have a halographic (3D)  type of effect, and the finish does have a high gloss to it. (one of the pix I will try and attach has my refelection in it!)

As for the playing of the instrument, it is a very GOOD indicator when I pick up the guitar and don't notice the neck profile. Action is good for an acoustic style guitar, the spacing excellent.

Soundwise, this guitar projects the acoustic tones very well. No strike that, I'll make the call and say it is excellent!  It has a balanced tone, and surprisingly, the treble tones do come out and not at all lost within the cavernous body. But it's real strength is in heavy strumming, particularly if you use your right hand fingernails!

Think of songs like "Question" by The Moody BLues, & "Love the One You're With" by Stephen Stills, and this is where this guitar will excel. It can get loud! Yes, the body rattles your belly too.

OzziePete said:
it will be near impossible to do this guitar justice and post up good pix of it, particularly the back of the body - that is simply amazing.

Still you must try - as they say, pics or it doesn't exist  :toothy10:

CrackedPepper said:
OzziePete said:
it will be near impossible to do this guitar justice and post up good pix of it, particularly the back of the body - that is simply amazing.

Still you must try - as they say, pics or it doesn't exist  :toothy10:

Ha ha, I understand that.. here are some pix on my phone that I uploaded........ apologies for the crap quality, no flash,new phone technology to try and understand.

IMAGE_026-1.jpg

BACK OF BODY - AAA BLACKWOOD IN DARK SUNBURST

IMAGE_027-1.jpg

HEADSTOCK - MAHOGANY NECK WITH AAA BLACKWOOD HEADSTOCK VENEER.

IMAGE_024-1.jpg

FRONT OF BODY (Selected Sitka Spruce top)  AND HISCOX CASE.

IMAGE_025.jpg

SIDE OF BODY - AAA BLACKWOOD AND IVORY BINDING - APMIC MATON PIEZO & MIC SYSTEM CONTROLS.

IMAGE_028.jpg

'DULCIE' ENGRAVED IN ENGLISH SCRIPT INTO MOTHER OF PEARL BLOCK INLAY AT 12TH FRET. 'SOUTHERN CROSS' CONSTELLATION M.O.P. INLAY. IVORY BINDING. SOUNDHOLE ROSETTE - M.O.P. & EBONY BLOCKS.

OzziePete said:

I've seen some interesting grain patterns in wood.  Quilts that look like Jesus, Burls that look like the devil, but I swear, this one is almost 3D, It looks like a guy with a cameraphone.  its amazing  :icon_tongue:

Seriously...... This is a wicked guitar.  I;ve fortnate enough to play a few Maton's and they are all great, so i can only imagine what a true Custom one must be like.  Congrats on a great build and a great story  :icon_thumright:

Soundwise, this guitar projects the acoustic tones very well. No strike that, I'll make the call and say it is excellent!

If it sounds great now wait until it gets played in, it still does not know it’s a guitar.  Once that wood gets some music flying out of it to shake the stiffness loose look out.

Congratulations Pete it is beautiful.

PS You not going to use drum brushes on it like Tommy does his?  

Max said:
Looks great, Pete. Do yourself and everyone here a favor and get some pro pics :hello2:

There's a guy at work who mucks around with cameras, he's a bit of an a**hole but I can tolerate his superiority attitude for long enough to get some pix. Will see him & see what can be done. The Guitar Factory took some pix when I collected the guitar, so maybe their website in the future will have them up if they turn out OK.

Tonar8353 said:
Soundwise, this guitar projects the acoustic tones very well. No strike that, I'll make the call and say it is excellent!

If it sounds great now wait until it gets played in, it still does not know it’s a guitar.  Once that wood gets some music flying out of it to shake the stiffness loose look out.

Congratulations Pete it is beautiful.

PS You not going to use drum brushes on it like Tommy does his? 

Yeah I was thinking that too Tonar, what was it going to sound like in a few years time? I am amazed that Maton got this guitar sounding lively from the start, but you do have to give it a spank when in acoustic mode only, to get it to sing the chords out. Kinda like 2 -11 in volume in one step, if you know what I mean. It's got the smell of worked wood at the moment, and yeah, it's a bit stiff. But I reckon once it does settle down the Sitka Spruce will come into it's own. The wood also has to get used to having that stain/dye on it and the high gloss finish.

NO. no drum brushes are going anywhere near this guitar (you are referring to the bare patches that end up appearing on Tommy's fav. guitars? I thought they were deliberately done by him on one or two guitars, something about getting the soundboard jumping with more tone....kinda like what some folks did to 'old' guitars in the 60s and sanded off sunbursts, LP Custom black and gold tops off those old Les Pauls!).

Back