Making up mind between modern and modernvintage

Cederick said:
I'm not sure if I'm going to remove gluing the neck completely out of the possible options;

This is how strong glue can be!

I originally screwed the neck onto the body, but it didn't get very stable, so I put some superglue around the edges of the neck pocket, all visible areas between neck and body... No glue in the actual pocket!

I wanted to take the neck off... So first I took away the screws, and then I tried to take the neck off... Well, watch, super glue is really strong!!!! :toothy12:
[youtube]ixKvQuXTMi8[/youtube]
(dont worry guys, it's just some scrap guitar I have for trying stuff out on, it's not a Warmoth  :toothy12: )
Uhhhhmmmm, I'm speechless.... :doh:

:dontknow:
I think ya should have used a blow torch or welder on that neck joint 1st, to loosen the glue.  :evil4:

Might have had better success  :laughing7:

Updown said:
:dontknow:
I think ya should have used a blow torch or welder on that neck joint 1st, to loosen the glue.  :evil4:

Might have had better success  :laughing7:

Well, the neck came off, didn't it?  :toothy12:

Well, maybe I'll just go with the safe option, and just use a regular square block neck heel, because I don't really have an issue with that on my warmoth soloist.

It's going to be 22 frets only anyway

Cederick said:
I'm not sure if I'm going to remove gluing the neck completely out of the possible options;

I originally screwed the neck onto the body, but it didn't get very stable, so I put some superglue around the edges of the neck pocket, all visible areas between neck and body... No glue in the actual pocket!

I wanted to take the neck off... So first I took away the screws, and then I tried to take the neck off... Well, watch, super glue is really strong!!!! :toothy12:
(dont worry guys, it's just some scrap guitar I have for trying stuff out on, it's not a Warmoth  :toothy12: )

Now that is Rock and Roll!  :headbang1:

Cederick said:
Well, maybe I'll just go with the safe option, and just use a regular square block neck heel, because I don't really have an issue with that on my warmoth soloist.

Honestly, I can't understand why anyone would want that old, squared-off heel. Pretty much everything about the Strat shape is ergonomic, except for that heel. Fender (and most of its copies) really missed the mark on that one. Any guitar I build (or buy, which is never) will have a contoured heel (and I don't mean a thinner square heel like Warmoth offers). I think that side-adjust thing on the Warmoth Pro neck is totally unnecessary, and looks out of place.

Cederick said:

See how dangerouse a man with a mullet can be? :dontknow:

Yeah beware everybody of my deadly haircut  :toothy10:

Street Avenger said:
Cederick said:

Honestly, I can't understand why anyone would want that old, squared-off heel. Pretty much everything about the Strat shape is ergonomic, except for that heel. Fender (and most of its copies) really missed the mark on that one. Any guitar I build (or buy, which is never) will have a contoured heel (and I don't mean a thinner square heel like Warmoth offers). I think that side-adjust thing on the Warmoth Pro neck is totally unnecessary, and looks out of place.

Well, I dont have a big problem with my big square heel on my Main guitar, actually. Of course a contoured would be better, but I dont have an issue with it, I play it almost every day :)

If you don't have a problem with the larger heel, I'd highly recommend the modern construction neck. The things are incredibly stable. Set the relief and forget about it unless you change string gauges. I've got necks here that I've had for years and never touched, and the weather here in Michigan is pretty variable.

You can also get a slightly contoured heel like Warmoth does and still use the modern neck.

contoured_heel2.jpg
contoured_heel1.jpg

The Contoured heel cut shaves about a quarter-inch off the thickness of the heel and sculpts the lower horn for improved hand access

That solution also keeps you from having to do the questionable 3-bolt neck mount. You can still do the 4-bolt, just use shorter screws at the top two holes.

Yeah, a Warmoth body would be the ultimate, but I'm not sure I can really afford it at the moment.

A Warmoth will end up being like $500 with shipping and import customs, while I can get myself a Hosco body within sweden for a total of $110, that I will have to finish myself too.

We'll see how it turns out...  :)

I'm going with Warmoth neck tho, I cannot have it another way.  :glasses10:

Actually I have some ideas that might make me able to afford myself a body too... But we'll see when time gomes

It's too bad there's never any basswood hardtail stratocaster bodies in the showcase! Even with regular square block heel...

Basswood is pretty soft stuff, so I think when people want to save weight, they go with the chambered body option rather than use a less sturdy material.

Cagey said:
Basswood is pretty soft stuff, so I think when people want to save weight, they go with the chambered body option rather than use a less sturdy material.

I have no issue with stability on my basswood warmoth soloist :) and that's a OFR guitar. I use it almost daily for 3 years
Now I'm going with hardtail, so it should be less of an issue.

Ibanez makes pretty much every guitar out of basswood so  :icon_biggrin:

Isn't chambered a lot more expensive too?

The softness of the Basswood doesn't cause instability, it just means it gets damaged a lot easier. For some folks, that's not a problem and may even be desirable. For others that like to maintain an attractive instrument, it's more of an issue.

As for price, I think you're right - chambered is a more expensive option than Basswood. But, you can get a better wood and still be light weight.

Cagey said:
The softness of the Basswood doesn't cause instability, it just means it gets damaged a lot easier. For some folks, that's not a problem and may even be desirable. For others that like to maintain an attractive instrument, it's more of an issue.

As for price, I think you're right - chambered is a more expensive option than Basswood. But, you can get a better wood and still be light weight.

Nah, while I'm not a fan of factory relicing, I think real dents and dings are cool  :icon_biggrin:
I never damage my guitars with purpose, but I'm not completely anal about keeping them in perfect shape either.

I got my Barrington superstrat back from PLEK last week, and they had dinged the body quite a bit by mistake (I think they dropped it on the floor), and I just laughed and said "well, thats okay"  :icon_biggrin: they gave me a discount for it tho, much welcomed.
23k9g1j.jpg

Damn. I wouldn't have even asked what happened. I'd have just shot the guy  :icon_biggrin:

Speaking of asking, what do they get to plek a neck over there?

Cagey said:
Damn. I wouldn't have even asked what happened. I'd have just shot the guy  :icon_biggrin:

Speaking of asking, what do they get to plek a neck over there?

Haha  :icon_biggrin:

Between $250 for a regular PLEK treatment
This Barrington costed about $600 because it was a refret, reradius, and it has a Floyd and bindings and that costs extra...
However I was lucky and got the reradius for free  :icon_jokercolor:

I haven't found that to be the case. One might be tempted to think it would, as the chambering should theoretically make the body more resonant, which eats sustain. But, the wood species, thickness, weight, etc. is still too great for the strings to have much, if any, effect on it. An electric guitar body, even chambered, simply has too much inertia. Chambering is just a weight reduction method that has little or no effect on tonal character, at least when amplified. Acoustically, you might hear a slight difference. But, while many will play acoustics electrically, few play electrics acoustically.

Back