Making up mind between modern and modernvintage

C

Cederick

Do I have to get a modern vintage construction to make this possible? Or does a modern construction work? The heel truss rod might be in the way of the screws...

I had the idea about sculpting the neck heel like this before finishing myself and use bushings for screws

1600-MTM2WH_detail5.jpg

Or maybe I can go extreme with the heel sculpting and just have THREE screws?  :icon_biggrin:
That should definitely work with modern construction right?

20140730_114259.jpg

Yep should work.  I'd use a threaded insert in that neck side screw though - that's where most of the tension is going to be.

Mayfly said:
Yep should work.  I'd use a threaded insert in that neck side screw though - that's where most of the tension is going to be.

What's a threaded insert?

Ok, I looked it up, and eh, I dont think I'm pro enough to do that on my own...  :sad1:

Here's a thread where one of our intrepid members lays it all out:

http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=163.0

Bagman67 said:
Here's a thread where one of our intrepid members lays it all out:

http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=163.0

Hmmm, we'll see... I dont want to fudge it up because I'm not a handy guy at all

But it looks like a good idea, for sure

They dont have it on either gitarrdelar.se or gmf.se (I'm in sweden) and I dont want to spend a lot on ordering from US or something

It's actually ordinary hardware, but you definitely don't want to try it if you don't feel up to it.  You need to drill those holes close to perfectly straight or you won't be able to get your screws into them.

Actually I have no idea what it's called in swedish, I have to ask on a swedish guitar forum if somebody knows

Good thing is I do have some scrap body and neck I can practice on before going on the Warmoth neck  :cool01:

Bagman67 said:
It's actually ordinary hardware, but you definitely don't want to try it if you don't feel up to it.  You need to drill those holes close to perfectly straight or you won't be able to get your screws into them.

Yeah, I'm really worried about that. I hate to even drill new neck holes with regular screws, because I only have a handheld drill at home  :icon_biggrin:

Cedrick: to do what you have pictured in the OP you will have to use VintageModern construction. If you try to stagger the neck screws to create a sculpted heel like those pictures using a Modern Construction neck, the screws will run into the Side Adjust Mechanism inside the neck.

More info here: http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/faq2.aspx#Incompatible

double A said:
Cedrick: to do what you have pictured in the OP you will have to use VintageModern construction. If you try to stagger the neck screws to create a sculpted heel like those pictures using a Modern Construction neck, the screws will run into the Side Adjust Mechanism inside the neck.

Yes I have seen that, but the screw doesn't need to be THAT far back

I wanna sculpt the heel more. But I still dont have to put a screw so far back, I can just make sure it doesn't conflict with the side adjustment

2ahz6s9.jpg

(blue lines shows how I wanna rasp it, and the blue line is where the screw can be)

Here's my scrap body I've practiced the contouring on  :headbang1:

Cederick said:
double A said:

I wanna sculpt the heel more. But I still dont have to put a screw so far back, I can just make sure it doesn't conflict with the side adjustment

2ahz6s9.jpg

(blue lines shows how I wanna rasp it, and the blue line is where the screw can be)

The little adjustment nut visible at the side of the neck is not the entire Side Adjustment Mechanism. There is square box inside the neck that it attaches to. Watch the video below, particularly near the end around the 4:20 mark, to see what's going on inside the neck. I would REALLY recommend not trying to do the staggered screw thing on a Modern construction neck. The three-bolt concept you posted above would have a greater chance of success.

[youtube]EKVWr8FRJNc[/youtube]

Logrinn said:
I think I might be able to help. You ought to find these inserts, ("gänginsats" in swedish), at a hobby store. Like Wentzels: http://www.wentzels.se/search#s:Insats:Gänginsats;p:2;
Thanks, but I have no idea what screws would fit those...

Also I already wrote that it might be too hard for me to actually install bushings properly

Shouldn't 3 screws in the wood be good enough? Since Jackson does it on their recent Dinkys, it shouldn't be too bad... If there DOES become a problem, I could just add another screw somewhere possible

double A said:
Cederick said:
double A said:

2ahz6s9.jpg

The little adjustment nut visible at the side of the neck is not the entire Side Adjustment Mechanism. There is square box inside the neck that it attaches to. Watch the video below, particularly near the end around the 4:20 mark, to see what's going on inside the neck. I would REALLY recommend not trying to do the staggered screw thing on a Modern construction neck. The three-bolt concept you posted above would have a greater chance of success.

[youtube]EKVWr8FRJNc[/youtube]

Yes I know there's a square box in it :doh:

That's why I have to know how big it is, to not conflict with it  :eek:ccasion14:

I'm not sure if I'm going to remove gluing the neck completely out of the possible options;

This is how strong glue can be!

I originally screwed the neck onto the body, but it didn't get very stable, so I put some superglue around the edges of the neck pocket, all visible areas between neck and body... No glue in the actual pocket!

I wanted to take the neck off... So first I took away the screws, and then I tried to take the neck off... Well, watch, super glue is really strong!!!! :toothy12:
[youtube]ixKvQuXTMi8[/youtube]
(dont worry guys, it's just some scrap guitar I have for trying stuff out on, it's not a Warmoth  :toothy12: )

I would not trust 3 screws without threaded inserts.
Just go with the Vintage-Modern neck I'm really happy with mine.

Attachments

• StrtBack.jpg
    StrtBack.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 390
Back