Let's See Those Acoustics!

S

SlartiBartfast

I play just as much acoustic guitar as electric (maybe even more). If only I could get a custom Warmoth acoustic (or 5), then I'd be one happy noodler.  :icon_biggrin:

BUT, since that's not going to happen anytime soon, I thought I'd start a thread where we can show off our acoustic collections. Apologies if this has been done before, but I looked and didn't see an existing thread for this. I'll get things started below!  :rock-on:

Altar said:
My baby. Only Gibby I've ever liked. 1946 J-45 Gibson acoustic.
Niiiiiice. Now THAT's how a "relic" gets done: age + love/abuse

Yep. Lots of love there. First owner was a blind man. He was always knocking into things, and got tons of damage that way. He also stuck tacks all over the edges because he thought it would look cool. As a result, my dad got it for $400 in the 80's. I'm hoping it will last me until its hundredth birthday. After that I'll pass it along to my kids, or some guy on the street, depending.

SlartiBartfast said:

_MG_2189 by Joe Vajgrt, on Flickr

_MG_2209 by Joe Vajgrt, on Flickr

_MG_2198 by Joe Vajgrt, on Flickr

_MG_2208 by Joe Vajgrt, on Flickr

_MG_2199 by Joe Vajgrt, on Flickr

You are very lucky, sir.  I want a rosewood Taylor soooo bad.  I have a 412 that I love, but those rosewood Taylors sound so freaking killer.  Someday I really want a GC8 or a rosewood 12 fret. 

Here's mine:

304669_10150359451630664_2600307_n.jpg

298416_10150359451785664_4227737_n.jpg

This is my Taylor 310 made in 2000. Sounds and plays like a dream.

IMG_2293_Sm.JPG

IMG_2295_Sm.JPG

IMG_2296_Sm.JPG

Altar said:
Yep. Lots of love there. First owner was a blind man. He was always knocking into things, and got tons of damage that way. He also stuck tacks all over the edges because he thought it would look cool. As a result, my dad got it for $400 in the 80's. I'm hoping it will last me until its hundredth birthday. After that I'll pass it along to my kids, or some guy on the street, depending.

That's awesome, man. :headbang:

hannaugh said:
You are very lucky, sir.  I want a rosewood Taylor soooo bad.  I have a 412 that I love, but those rosewood Taylors sound so freaking killer.  Someday I really want a GC8 or a rosewood 12 fret. 

Here's mine:

304669_10150359451630664_2600307_n.jpg

298416_10150359451785664_4227737_n.jpg

Yeah, I freakin' LOVE my Taylor. I had a 614ce for awhile (maple back and sides), but it was way too bright for my playing style and tastes. So, I got this 716ce a few years ago. The bigger body (Grand Symphony) coupled with Rosewood back and sides, Western Red Cedar top, and Mahogany neck make for a VERY warm, deep, rich tone that's perfect for how I want a guitar to sound.

That's a nice 412 you've got there!  :icon_thumright:

Cagey said:
This is my Taylor 310 made in 2000. Sounds and plays like a dream.

IMG_2293_Sm.JPG

IMG_2295_Sm.JPG

IMG_2296_Sm.JPG

Nice! Taylors in general play like a dream. Is this a purely acoustic guitar?

Yep. No electronics. Although, I understand the electronics Taylor uses are pretty good. I happened to get this one used from a studio that was liquidating their instrument closet. New owners weren't going to do the music thing so much as corporate presentations, religious productions, commercials, etc. Wish I'd had a lot more money that day.

Cagey said:
Yep. No electronics. Although, I understand the electronics Taylor uses are pretty good. I happened to get this one used from a studio that was liquidating their instrument closet. New owners weren't going to do the music thing so much as corporate presentations, religious productions, commercials, etc. Wish I'd had a lot more money that day.

Taylor's Expression System blows the competition our of the water. It's very small and unobtrusive and sounds fantastic. Although, I don't think they were using the ES until 2003-4. Before that, they used a big chunky Fishman system. If you ever feel like spending $500, you can get the ES installed on your guitar: http://www.taylorguitars.com/support/service-packages

I've debated with myself about having that ES system installed, but there always seems to be something else I could throw $500 at that I want more than electronics for a guitar I don't play very often.

toronado said:
My Martin Custom Dreadnought:

sw5x95.jpg

This guitar is getting better and better.

That's awesome! What are the back/sides made of? And what does a custom Martin cost a person, just out of curiosity?

I got 3 sorta, a Kramer Ferrington, a Fender Stratocoustic with a Warmoth neck, and a Kramer doubleneck with acoustic upper...
2591403523_92ef810f8e_z.jpg

@DangerousR6
The idea of that Fender acoustic body (albeit small) with a Warmoth neck seems awesome!

Here's my acoustic baby:
Breedlove ad20/sm
- solid Sitka top
- solid mahogany back, lam sides
- mahogany neck with rosewood board
- abalone dots
- bone nut and saddle installed by Mike Lull
- Korean made

What sold me on this guitar was the quality for the price and especially the truss rod support that Breedlove uses. I've seen the best of acoustics have warped tops as new, in the shop guitars. The traditional bracing system is a flawed design IMO.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 351
Back