Does It *Have* To Be Wood?

Dreamsinger

As one who's paid huge $$ for boutique acoustic guitars I totally "get" the preference for real wood in our components. I've been seeing more and more high end instruments using Richlite for fingerboards. From what I've played it makes sense. The material has the same density as ebony but it's constant from edge to edge. It can be polished to a very high gloss which feels incredible and in the case of fretless bass, sounds incredible. Are we really that hardwired to reject this material? Warmoth seems to think so. If I had my druthers I'd have it on every axe I own. What say you?

I would absolutely love if richlite was a Warmoth option. I’m a big fan of alternative materials, especially ones that are exceedingly durable and stable. I have a Musikraft neck with a richlite board, a Kiesel on order with a richlite board, and a Rubato carbon fiber neck with richlite board on order. :D

I wouldn’t mind richlite as an option, but personally I really like the natural variation in real ebony

I have no experience with Richlite. Based on online specs, it seems less rigid than ebony. About 40% lower modulus of elasticity:
Richlite is 10.1GPa, Ebony is 16.9GPa. They don't appear to be equivalent, although the less rigid material could be better.

Personally, if Warmoth offered Richlite or Rocklite Ebano as alternatives to Black Ebony and Rocklite Sundari which looks like rosewood, I say why not. It is sustainable and more cost-effective. There are other alternative materials out there.

I wouldn’t mind richlite as an option, but personally I really like the natural variation in real ebony
I had an acoustic with a Macassar ebony board. It had a long white stripe in the shape of a lightning bolt. Looks cool definitely but the even density of Richlite makes for a more consistent vibration chain, ie no dead spots.

Personally, if Warmoth offered Richlite or Rocklite Ebano as alternatives to Black Ebony and Rocklite Sundari which looks like rosewood, I say why not. It is sustainable and more cost-effective. There are other alternative materials out there.
Sustainable? Yes, but the cost effectiveness is a wash. It's not cheap and depending on the capability of your CNC machine, carbide tip cutters may not be adequate making diamond tip cutters necessary. Aside from the sustainability, the main attraction for me is the sound and feel of it.

Sustainable? Yes, but the cost effectiveness is a wash. It's not cheap and depending on the capability of your CNC machine, carbide tip cutters may not be adequate making diamond tip cutters necessary. Aside from the sustainability, the main attraction for me is the sound and feel of it.

Most members of this forum do not have a CNC machine.

Regardless, a richlite fingerboard blank can be bought for around $20 whereas a black ebony board will cost more.

For example, in the Warmoth neck builder is around $100 base price plus around $65 for unique choice. If Warmoth were to offer black richlite I would suspect it would be considerably cheaper than ebony and not a wash to the end consumer who does not have a CNC machine and probably does not have a fret saw either. It would also be consistent, in terms of colour and feel etc.

Most members of this forum do not have a CNC machine.

Regardless, a richlite fingerboard blank can be bought for around $20 whereas a black ebony board will cost more.

For example, in the Warmoth neck builder is around $100 base price plus around $65 for unique choice. If Warmoth were to offer black richlite I would suspect it would be considerably cheaper than ebony and not a wash to the end consumer who does not have a CNC machine and probably does not have a fret saw either. It would also be consistent, in terms of colour and feel etc.
Actually, comparing 5/16" 5 string blanks, Richlite is closer to $45, Junk ebony blanks can be had for $25 but a AAA grade Gabon ebony 'board can run over $100. I wouldn't expect the average builder to have a CNC machine but Warmoth does. With as many manufacturers who've added Richlite to their higher end guitars you'd think it'd be an option from them.

Actually, comparing 5/16" 5 string blanks, Richlite is closer to $45, Junk ebony blanks can be had for $25 but a AAA grade Gabon ebony 'board can run over $100. I wouldn't expect the average builder to have a CNC machine but Warmoth does. With as many manufacturers who've added Richlite to their higher end guitars you'd think it'd be an option from them.

The $20 I mentioned was for a Richlite guitar fingerboard blank, so $45 seems about right for a 5-string bass.

I think it would be a good option at some point for Warmoth to add also.

Who of you has actually worked with Richlite?

I have.

You don't need carbide cutters, that's ridiculous. You can mill it with an uncoated bit, made for aluminium. It cuts smoother than ebony, more precise than ebony, less chipout than ebony, easier fretting than ebony, less scrapping than ebony (lower failure rate).

For richlite boards, you can buy a sheet (6mm thick, 3.6x1.5 meters). Costs approx 500 euro's.

Richlite has a direction/grain direction (it does, trust me, I know, I have cut enough of that stuff to know it has a direction ;) ), so for optimum results, you cut it in long sections, and those you cut up in smaller blocks as well. One sheet can yield approximately 150 boards. Then you have to mill it.

Nah, richlite is way more cost-effective than ebony is.

As far as wood is concerned for bodies or necks? Nop. I have heard more Aristides guitars sound AMAZING, than wood guitars. It's just a number game, my friends. I have tried hundreds if not thousands of each.

I love real woods for real wood guitars (all the awesome ones Warmoth offers) but Richlite would be nice for some of the painted finishes I’m a fan of. Flakes and Candies and black and white would all look great with Richlite, with and without binding as well.

Back