It's here! It's here! And it's AMAZING!

dbw said:
Heh, I think you're still the only one this has ever happened to, Gary.  :p

you're probably right - I still think they did it to me on purpose, or because they were controlled by evil forces of some kind - like the italian evil eye, or moloch :headbang1: :laughing7:

It's possible it could happen to someone else though - - unless they fired the guy that made my neck. :evil4:

Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is sooooooo hot!
When you get it all together take it to FedEx and have them weigh it on their scale.  I would be interested in the finished weight of your guitar.

Congratulations.

I checked the binding on the neck, and it seems fine.  It's very slightly not flush with the rosewood, but it's like a single paper's width off, so it shouldn't be a problem. 

I'm also very curious about the weight.  It is chambered because one thing I hate about LPs is how heavy they are, and I wanted to make sure mine wouldn't kill my back.  The body doesn't seem overly light or overly heavy when I pick it up.  The Alumitone pups I'm going to use weigh practically nothing, so that will also be a factor.  I will definitely weigh it when it is finished.

I think with the custom cavity covers I would probably go black korina or a wood that looks similar.  I want the discreet look.

the top looks unbelievable.

but why does the back of the headstock (especially where it joins the neck - the depression etc) look different from a normal gibson headstock?

is it a different kind of joint?

i remember seening this joint on the old Gibson The SG and Firebrand SG.

Go here and click on the 13 degree angle button on the diagram.  It explains the neck/headstock joint.

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/necks/lp_warmothpro.aspx

hannaugh said:
I checked the binding on the neck, and it seems fine.  It's very slightly not flush with the rosewood, but it's like a single paper's width off, so it shouldn't be a problem. 

yep I'm the only one  :tard: :laughing7:

Also Warmoth necks have what Gibson calls a volute... maybe that's what you're looking at?  70's Gibsons had them but 50's ones didn't.  (I have no idea what they're doing this week but I think they're still using volutes.)

so is this the scarf joint which is said to be stronger than the joint that gibson uses nowadays?

wow! I'm not a Gibson/LP person generally, but that looks incredible.

:icon_thumright:

-erik

One of the most beautiful finishes I've ever seen.  And that top looks fantastic!

This is gonna be a killer build!

vtpcnk said:
so is this the scarf joint which is said to be stronger than the joint that gibson uses nowadays?
Gibson's don't use a joint to attach the headstock, its a one piece neck to a degree.  The peghead is as thin as the neck until they add wings.  The volute was added around 1970 to add strength to that area.  With the hollowed out cavity for the truss rod adjuster it was a classic weak spot.

Absolutely amazing.

Is that a double laminate or is it a solid piece of maple??  I'd never heard of "wild" maple before - was that in the unique choices?  If so, I'd better keep an eye out to see if that ever comes up again...

I'd love to hear a sound clip once it's all put together.  I think the maple neck / korina body should be really interesting from a sonic standpoint.

Well done.

It's a double laminate.  I chose the piece from the Unique Choice section on the Laminate Strat page (I didn't realize you could use that stuff in the Strat section on an LP, but it turns out you can as long as the piece you choose is big enough.  Good thing I asked!).  There are still a few pieces still there now if you want to check them out.  I picked wild maple because I was having trouble deciding between flame and quilt. Wild is kind of in between, plus it has all these weird little areas that look like pools of water.  It's crazy though because one piece can look drastically different than another, so you really have to pick out what you want.  I guess that's why it's "wild".  I thought it looked like watercolor, and I am a watercolorist, so it seemed like a perfect fit for me. 

Here is a Strat with wild maple from the showcase:

ps3188a.jpg

Also, when my LP is all finished I will be posting sound clips, so everyone will get to hear it. 

Cool, thanks.  You did well.  The lam top looks way better on your LP than it does on the strat!

>The lam top looks way better on your LP than it does on the strat!

definitely. could be due to the binding on the lp which gives it better definition.

or maybe the body shape has something to do with it.

I think the piece they used on the Strat might be a little too busy.  It's also a lot more uniform than my top.  My top is crazy all over the place, so it has a lot more character.

The other thing about that Strat is that it's routed for a pickguard, and it would be a cryin' shame to cover up any of that figuring. 

Congrats on a truly SPECTACULAR guitar!! 

I think the clear back is very effective in directing all the focus on that amazing top. Just stellar choices all around!

WOW, so they can do a unique choice DL top from a normal 1/8" flat top?  That's awesome.

Yep.  I emailed Warmoth saying I wanted wild maple, and they told me that I could pick a piece from the Laminate Strat page.  I guess that's why it's good to always ask about it if it is really something that you want, even if it looks unavailable. 

Back