Inspired by Silver Sky

Sean6247

Hello All,

I have been planning my next Warmoth build, and I decided to build a guitar which is inspired by the PRS Silver Sky.

Having owned (and sold) many Strats, I realize several things inherent to the Stratocaster design are not to my liking, including the bridge single coil, the trem (I dislike all trems), and the volume pot location. As my plan has evolved, I noticed that the Silver Sky inspiration has become purely aesthetical. Here are the specs of the build:

Alder Strat body. I am thinking about carving the lower bout a la PRS, but I'm not too sure about modding the pickguard to match. I am getting an HSS rout with a recessed Tune-O-Matic bridge with strings through the body and custom pickguard to match the body routing.

Maple/Maple 24 3/4" conversion neck with 59 roundback profile, 10-16" radius, reverse Warmoth or Vortex headstock & 6105 Stainless frets and a bone nut.
    I have not decided whether I want the symmetrical tuning posts or not.
    I plan on modifying the headstock with an upswept reverse curve much like PRS.
    I will finish the back of the neck in Tung Oil and the fretboard with Nitro. (I did this with the tele in my avatar an really like it.)

Fishman Fluence Classic Open Core humbucker and 2x Single width pickups in white.

The pickguard will only have the tone control hole and the guitar will have master volume an tone and a 5-way super switch. I'm still deciding between 3-ply white, white pearl, and pearloid for the pickguard material.

And finally locking tuning machines most likely from Grover.

I am going to finish the guitar in White base with an Indigo ghost pearl.

Yesterday, I received the ghost pearl paints and started spraying the swatches to determine how much pearl, and which pickguard. Also I have never finished Alder in acrylic lacquer and wanted to practice that as well before everything gets going.

I am still a little way out on getting the parts ordered and getting everything put together, and plan on documenting the build here.

I placed the order for the body/neck/pickguard and some hardware earlier this week. Now for the 4-5 week wait as Warmoth produces my custom guitar parts.

As Tom Petty famously sang, the wait is the hardest part.

Sounds good. You seem to have the secret down, practice and plan first. Good luck on the build, I'll be waiting to see the outcome.............. :headbang:

After a few emails back and forth between Warmoth and me, we got the custom pickguard sorted. Here are the final specs of the body, neck and pickguard as ordered:

Body:
Model: Stratocaster®
Orientation: Right handed
F-Holes: None
Scale: 25-1/2"
Wood: Alder
Rout: Top Rout
Pickup Rout: Strat®, Strat®, Humbucker
Controls: None
Bridge: Recessed TOM-Angled Strings
Stud Install: No Stud Install
Jack Rout: Strat® Top Jack Rout
Neck Pocket: Strat® Shape
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
Contours: / Tummy Cut / Forearm Contour
Battery Box: Single Battery Box

Neck:
Style: Warmoth
Construction: Gibson® Scale (24-3/4") Conversion Tiltback
Orientation: Right Handed Reverse
Neck Wood: Maple
Fingerboard Wood: Maple
Nut Width: 1-11/16"
Back Shape: 59 roundback
Fret Size: SS6105 (Stainless)
Tuner Ream: Gotoh/Grover (13/32" 11/32")
Radius: 10-16" Compound
Scale: 24-3/4" Conversion
Fret #: 22
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
Pre-Cut Installed String Nut: No Nut Install
Inlays: Black Face Dots
Side Dots: Black Side Dots
Finish: No Finish

Pickguard:
Shape: Stratocaster®
Orientation: Right Handed
Color: White Pearl
Neck Pickup: Strat®
Middle Pickup: Strat®
Bridge Pickup: Humbucker
Control 1: None
Control 2: Tone
Control 3: Tone 2
Control 4: 5 Way Switch
Countersink: Standard Countersink
Bridge Cut: None
Mounting Holes: 11 Hole

Warmoth do not have an option for a pickguard which matches the rout for a recessed TOM bridge, so I am going to have to modify the pickguard to match the rout. I was thinking of carving the lower cutaway to have the PRS type look, but decided against that because I would have to modify the PG. Since I have to modify the PG anyway, the lower cutaway carving is back on the table. I guess I need to get a rasp and carve up some of the alder I used to test the finish.

I was hoping the custom parts I ordered would be shipping next week, but the new notification on Warmoth's website has me thinking it is going to be another couple of weeks.

Meanwhile, a few parts have started arriving from other vendors. I have the pickups, straplocks, switch, and tuning machines all waiting patiently. I ordered a case from Musician's Friend with a 20% off coupon which is backordered. Seems like everything is taking longer theses days.

Yes we will just have to bear with it. I ordered some parts and a neck from the showcase recently prior to the new notice. But they have not shipped yet. I did expect there would be a longer wait than in normal times.

It is not just Warmoth, many things are taking longer or are not in stock for long periods which is unsurprising really in the current situation.

I just found out my custom neck didn't pass QC and had to be rebuild. It looks like the end of March before I get to start realizing this dream.

I'm curious what you are doing for controls...
I'm also just starting on a silver sky inspired build.  I like the look of the Silver Sky knobs and switch tip, but for the life of me can't figure out of they'll fit CTS pots and a CRL switch.  If I just need to buy them and find out I can, but if prefer to just get the right items the first time.  What's your plan?

rkaiser87 said:
I'm curious what you are doing for controls...
I'm also just starting on a silver sky inspired build.  I like the look of the Silver Sky knobs and switch tip, but for the life of me can't figure out of they'll fit CTS pots and a CRL switch.  If I just need to buy them and find out I can, but if prefer to just get the right items the first time.  What's your plan?

Here is an excerpt from my custom pickguard.

Control 1:  None 
Control 2:  Tone 
Control 3:  Tone 2 
Control 4:  5 Way Switch 

The normal volume position will be absent with a master volume and master tone. I am using regular Strat knobs. The pots that come with the Fishman Fluence pickups take the smaller metric knobs... and I have a couple of those laying around, so regular white knobs. I am going to use two tone knobs with the tone knob on the volume control as my little homage to EVH.

But basically Strat knobs and switchtip. Honestly, the more I look at my build and the Silver Sky... the less my build looks/acts like a Silver Sky.

Sean6247 said:
Honestly, the more I look at my build and the Silver Sky... the less my build looks/acts like a Silver Sky.

I hear this!  I'm basically down to the 3x3 headstock and the knobs and switch tip.  Aesthetically, I've arrived at a "0001 Strat" look - all gold hardware, SS knobs, switch tip, and the 3x3 headstock.  Maybe the truss rod cover too, but I've got a feeling it won't quite fit. 

I just found out my order is complete and ready to ship. It should be here by the weekend... :turtle: :turtle: :turtle:

Got the body, neck and parts from Warmoth yesterday. Got everything sanded and masked for spraying, rolled the fretboard edges, and test fit everything. So far, so good.

28auKz0.jpg

Michaelga said:
That's some really nice figuring for alder!

Michael

Yes. It also has several mineral streaks which are really cool. Not cool enough to reconsider the ghost pearl opaque finish, but really cool none the less.

stratamania said:
That is a skillful dog you have there  :icon_thumright:

She is quire skillful, as are the four others (which happen to be her pups.... they’re like 6 years old, so not pups).

This one is Sienna. We call her Si Si.

cept5sC.jpg

This is the rest of the team. From left to right:
Dakota, Sienna (Si Si), Jasmine, Houdini, and Nala.

One coat of primer on the body, and two coats of lacquer on the neck. I sprayed the lacquer a little too thick, so I have some runs to sand down before I continue with the neck. I’m waiting for custom decals of my signature (a la PRS) to arrive, so no rush on the neck. The front of my headstock will have my signature and the back is getting the Warmoth decal.

yHkCO0W.jpg

Back