Incoming Velocity Build

Hodgo

Ive been drooling over Warmoth products for a long, long time. I've ordered blanks, necks, and pickguards, but never a full build. Well, today I finally get to place a full order for a custom build. In fact, the only thing I didn't include in the order was the humbuckers, just couldn't find what I wanted in stock. Everything else down to the last screw is gonna come in with the rest of the order.

Velocity Guitar Body
  • Construction: Solid
  • Core Wood: Black Korina
  • No Lam Top
  • Right-Handed
  • Control Cavity: Rear Rout (Standard)
  • Neck Pickup Rout: Humbucker
  • Bridge Pickup Rout: Humbucker
  • Controls: None
  • Jack Rout: 7/8" (22mm) Side Jack Hole
  • Bridge Rout: Recessed TOM Staggered Strings
  • Mounting Holes: Standard 4-Bolt
  • Neck Pocket Shape: Strat®
  • Body Contours: Forearm Contour, Tummy Cut, Custom Contoured Heel
  • Paint: Gloss Tobacco Burst

Warmoth Guitar Neck
  • Construction: Tiltback Gibson® Scale Conversion
  • Shaft Wood: Roasted Maple
  • Fretboard Wood: Ebony
  • Nut Width: 1-3/4" (44mm) - Wide
  • Right-Handed
  • Neck Back Profile: 59 Roundback
  • Fretboard Radius: Straight 14"
  • Number of Frets: 22
  • Ivoroid Binding
  • Fret Size & Material: SS6105 - Narrow & Tall (Stainless)
  • Tuner Hole Size: Schaller/Modern Fender/Sperzel (25/64")
  • Inlay Shape: Premium Dots
  • Inlay Material: Mother Of Pearl
  • Side Dots; Black Side Dots
  • Standard Nut - White Corian
  • Neck Heel Shape: Strat® Shape
  • Finish: None

Chrome hardware, Schaller M6 lockers, TonePros T-O-M, 500k push-pool push pot, 500k tone pot, and a Switchcraft toggle switch.

Under special instructions, I requested White Korina, VIP controls, and a gloss black headstock.... not sure how much of that Warmoth is gonna want to do :)

Pickups are undecided, and suggestions are certainly welcome! I'm really looking forward to getting my box of parts in a few months.

Great specs on that guitar! When it comes to the humbuckers I am sure the experts on this forum can help you if you provide some more information, such as what music you play/like, what kind of sound you like/are looking for, what pickups you don’t like, etc.

Well, I've got enough guitars with PAF-style humbuckers that I'm not exactly chasing something vintage here. I also don't really have an idea for the switchable pot, but I may run it as a coil split with a variable resistor trimpot between the split coil and ground so I can balance out a partial split that will sound nice in all three positions. To that end I'm looking at medium ish output balanced set so that the pots still see a pretty high DCR from the leftover coils.

Or, I may fulfill another lifelong dream of mine and finally buy the DiMarzio Morse set. Steve Morse is a HUGE influence of mine, but the weird specs on those has always made me a bit hesitant.

You're a man after my own heart! Tobacco Burst on Black Korina is my personal favorite combo. I can't wait to see the final result!!

Apologies @stultzies9, but the more I thought on it the more I decided I didn't want the tobacco burst since there would be so much black (headstock, fretboard, coils, maybe knobs and rings too) on the guitar. Kind of like wearing brown shoes in a black suit thing... instead I asked to change it to black-yellow burst, which I think will be more striking against the bound fretboard and the yellow should make the white korina pop underneath. Spike said no problem, and he confirmed the other off menu options are all good to go too for the wood, controls, and painted neck.

I've been thinking about how I will wire this up. I have on order a push pull pot, a regular 500k pot, and a toggle for the controls but I'm not married to any of it really. I might use the push push as a partial coil split, which would the most practical I think. I have one on my Les Paul that is an out of phase switch, but it goes mostly unused. Series/parallel is an option too, but I don't know that I'd find that as usable as a coil split either, but it would be nice as a second feature if I added a second switchable pot.

Ive been drooling over Warmoth products for a long, long time. I've ordered blanks, necks, and pickguards, but never a full build. Well, today I finally get to place a full order for a custom build. In fact, the only thing I didn't include in the order was the humbuckers, just couldn't find what I wanted in stock. Everything else down to the last screw is gonna come in with the rest of the order.

Velocity Guitar Body
  • Construction: Solid
  • Core Wood: Black Korina
  • No Lam Top
  • Right-Handed
  • Control Cavity: Rear Rout (Standard)
  • Neck Pickup Rout: Humbucker
  • Bridge Pickup Rout: Humbucker
  • Controls: None
  • Jack Rout: 7/8" (22mm) Side Jack Hole
  • Bridge Rout: Recessed TOM Staggered Strings
  • Neck Pocket Shape: Strat®
  • Body Contours: Forearm Contour, Tummy Cut, Custom Contoured Heel
  • Paint: Gloss Tobacco Burst

Warmoth Guitar Neck
  • Construction: Tiltback Gibson® Scale Conversion
  • Shaft Wood: Roasted Maple
  • Fretboard Wood: Ebony
  • Nut Width: 1-3/4" (44mm) - Wide
  • Right-Handed
  • Neck Back Profile: 59 Roundback
  • Fretboard Radius: Straight 14"
  • U of Frets: 22
  • Ivoroid Binding
  • Fret Size & Material: SS6105 - Narrow & Tall (Stainless)
  • Tuner Hole Size: Schaller/Modern Fender/Sperzel (25/64")
  • Inlay Shape: Premium Dots
  • Inlay Material: Mother Of Pearl
  • Side Dots; Black Side Dots
  • Standard Nut - White Corian
  • Neck Heel Shape: Strat® Shape
  • Finish: None

Chrome hardware, Schaller M6 lockers, TonePros T-O-M, 500k push-pool push pot, 500k tone pot, and a Switchcraft toggle switch.

Under special instructions, I requested White Korina, VIP controls, and a gloss black headstock.... not sure how much of that Warmoth is gonna want to do :)

Pickups are undecided, and suggestions are certainly welcome! I'm really looking forward to getting my box of parts in a few months.
I like the neck specs.
Good job in matching the fretboard radius to the bridge. Details baby!

The frets are not the normal 6105 dimensions. They're smaller in height by a good amount. I have both types and I vastly prefer warmoth's size.

More Pictures! More Pictures!!!

SHIP NOTIFICATION CAME IN TODAY!!!

It has been a long time dream to have a full Warmoth build in a box. I cannot wait to see these parts!! Will post unboxing pics and build progress sometime next week (the big W is only 4.5hrs away from me so ship times are usually 2 days or so)

Edit: box arrives Monday!

Last edited:
The closer I get the more conflicted I feel about how I might wire the DPDT section of one of the pots.

Series/parallel for one of the humbucker, probably the neck is one of the more appealing options. Or a master coil split. I might just get rid of it and use a non switched pot.

Back