I'm going to torch this thing!

Jack is right on target! Glad to see you back around Jack!  
Here is the first test board and I’m playing around with color to get as close as I can to the color T50 is after.  I was not very thorough with the prep on this piece because I was more interested in what I would get with the brown dye after that scorch. I am going to add a wash coat of clear tomorrow and then a shade coat of Van Dyke Brown and see where that lands me.
Starting to torch.
IMG_4370.jpg

Torch complete.
IMG_4380.jpg

Sand with Norton 320 Paper. Forgive the fingernails but I use them to pick the geetar. :guitaristgif:
IMG_4382.jpg

MEK Dye.
IMG_4388.jpg

Stained with dye right out of the jar.
IMG_4391.jpg

And I only started my work table on fire twice.  :laughing11:

Very interesting....  

I am so anxious to see how this body project would unfold...

I first saw this on the Andreas guitars, I think they used "larch", which is a Siberian piney/birchy thing.
http://www.northernperiphery.net/managers/Library%5CProject%20Publications%5CSiblarch%5CSiblarch%20Brochure.pdf

Andreas1-1.jpg

Andreas_Fierce_new_f.jpg

Put it on the list...

Looks great Tonar!
Nice progress.

Tonar8353 said:
Stained with dye right out of the jar.
Ah haa, I have been having issues getting the MEK dye to work for me.
I was mixing it lacquer, thinning it, etc.
Didn't really pursue the direct from bottle route.

James

stubhead said:
I first saw this on the Andreas guitars, I think they used "larch", which is a Siberian piney/birchy thing.
http://www.northernperiphery.net/managers/Library%5CProject%20Publications%5CSiblarch%5CSiblarch%20Brochure.pdf

Andreas1-1.jpg

Andreas_Fierce_new_f.jpg

Put it on the list...

TheLarch.jpg

Looks great so far!
:headbang1:

I like how you can take a relatively plain piece of wood and give it some real unique character.
I'm getting all sorts of ideas...

Certainly starting to show a lot more promise than I initially envisaged.  That Larch is an interesting look - wonder how it sounds?  :glasses9:

chrisg said:
Certainly starting to show a lot more promise than I initially envisaged.  That Larch is an interesting look - wonder how it sounds?  :glasses9:

I don't know, but I do know that back cavity cover just isn't big enough

jay4321 said:
chrisg said:

Yes, well that's the price you pay for pickups installed from the rear.  Though it could have been done a little better... or at least they could have used wood...

stubhead said:

Not all that unusual where I live in southern Sweden, I grew up with two larch trees next to the house. They look great and have needles like pine or spruce, but the larch's needles go red-brown in autumn and are dropped like leaves. Which my mother hated, hehe :)

jay4321 said:
chrisg said:

Combination guitar/lunch box?

Keyser Soze said:
jay4321 said:
chrisg said:

Combination guitar/lunch box?
Not hardly lunch box kinda room, barely enough for a doobie... :laughing11:

Next step; final color sample waiting for approval from T50.  This has been shot with 2 wash coats of lacquer, gained filled with Mahogany grain filler and then hit with 2 coats of clear gloss.  If T likes it were off to the races if not I make more samples to nail what he is after.
IMG_4407.jpg

Back