I'm going to torch this thing!

Tonar8352

I received this from T50 today to do a torch finish on.  This is going to be fun!  I’ll post pictures as I go along in case anyone wants to see how to light one up.  

IMG_4357.jpg

IMG_4363.jpg

I've done the torch job on pine before,  I made a couch and loveseat and chair from 2x6's, it has pretty much the same results as ash.  Turned out really neat, my mom made the cushions for it... :icon_biggrin:

Just out of curiosity, what is the idea behind torch finish?
Is it to enhance the grain? From what I can see in these pics,
torching is used to enhance and exaggerate the grains...

I like the first example much better than the rest.
Prime-b2.jpg

kg_prime_sig05.jpg

killer_prime_03.jpg

killer_prime_05.jpg

T50 said:
Just out of curiosity, what is the idea behind torch finish?
Is it to enhance the grain? From what I can see in these pics,
torching is used to enhance and exaggerate the grains...

I like the first example much better than the rest.
Prime-b2.jpg

kg_prime_sig05.jpg

killer_prime_03.jpg

killer_prime_05.jpg
That's pretty much it, the flame will char the softer parts of the grain making them stand out, just as in your pix.... :icon_biggrin:

Very cool indeed, looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.
Thanks Tonar.

James

How exactly do you torch a guitar?

Is it like a controled blow torch sort of thing?  Hold it close enough so it cooks but doesn't flame?  Would you do a grain fill first?  I've never heard of the technique before.  Sounds and looks cool.

This is going to be very cool...
We are all very anxious to see the steps so be sure to take lots of pics; Please!
:rock-on:

Does it work better on certain woods? If it's not too expensive to do, I think I have a guit that would look really cool like that!
Tonar, check your PMs

Thought I would share these photos from the ESP Craft House in Shibuya, Tokyo*. These are Akira Takasaki's actual guitars; you can see the torch finish in there.

* Anything I could say about looking for/at guitars in Japan would be utterly inadequate in conveying the infinite greatness of the whole idea. Leave your credit cards and ATM cards at home. Bring a camera. And a drool cup.

Guess someone had a very similar idea...
http://www.carvinguitars.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=15219&sid=aeb0ad859e143d5542eefa33aa906bd9

T50 said:
Guess someone had a very similar idea...
http://www.carvinguitars.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=15219&sid=aeb0ad859e143d5542eefa33aa906bd9
His turned out looking like he had used a grain filler, instead of having the burnt spots....

Still no input from Tonar? I going to guess you pick out a body with some pretty deep grain, take a propane torch and char the whole thing, then sand it back so the char is limited to inside the grain. Then you could stain, clear grain fill and gloss lacquer or alternately clear grain fill, shoot toner then gloss lacquer?

DangerousR6 said:
His turned out looking like he had used a grain filler, instead of having the burnt spots....
I know... the result doesn't look like it was worth the trouble...

Back