I'm going to torch this thing!

....Japanese also used to make a lot of Gibson, Fender, and BC Rich counterfeits back in the days. Now, how many of us are playing well-made Japanese guitars such as ESP, Ibanez, Yamaha, etc?

In the 70's there were a whole pile of "lawsuit" guitars - Ibanez, Tokai and others made some really good, really exact copies of Fenders and Gibsons. Not all were good, but some were at least as good as those company's own 70's output. Then the American companies sued, and Ibanez and others were forced to stop making the copies and started their own designs. All the jigs, patterns, paint information about how to make copies just sort of "went away".... At guitar shows in the early 1980's, a few dealers specialized in selling the "good" old Fenders and Gibsons - each dealer might have a few on hand. By the early 90's every dealer had a whole wall full of "authentic vintage" Fenders and Gibsons.... :toothy12: Gee I wonder what happened to all the old copy-making tools and the guys who made them, I'll bet they destroyed the jigs then committed suicide out of guilt.  :laughing7:

Nowadays you can buy the books that tell you in exacting detail just how to identify a "real" vintage guitar - thanks to the universally-high moral standards of the human species, however, no one has ever used those books to figure out how to fake an old guitar, though.  :dontknow: And those "genuine" spaghetti-logo Fender decals on Ebay are for your fridge.... A few years back somebody counted up the ads for 1958 Les Pauls in Vintage Guitar, on Ebay and elsewhere and deduced that at any given time, there were approximately TEN TIMES as many 1958 Les Pauls for sale as were ever even manufactured. And they're still worth $250,000.... :binkybaby:

+1. Back in the 70's it was very hard to find an old fender or gibson that was not completely trashed.  I remember playing an authentic jaguar in the 70s that was dirty, had large chunks of neck binding missing and with broken electronics - but it was one of the few that actually worked as a musical instrument.

These days, near mint jags, strats and teles seem to be all over the place.  Kinda makes you wonder...

T50 said:
Mark O said:
I'm not a big fan of it...
maybe its just because I don't like to assicate "Chinese" with "guitars"
I know what you mean... Chinese fakes have been plaguing the guitar market.
My company has been a victim to this Chinese counterfeit industry for years now.
I'm not of Chinese descent, but as Asian-American I thought this label would give
this guitar a very unique identity that I can relate to.

I like that!! my current project will have a celtic themed name. not because I am celtic, but because I can relate to it (lived there for 7 years)

T50 said:
Just a thought:
Let's not forget the fact that Japanese also used to make a lot of Gibson, Fender,
and BC Rich counterfeits back in the days. Now, how many of us are playing well-made
Japanese guitars such as ESP, Ibanez, Yamaha, etc?

I remember back in the 80's we kind of frowned upon some japanese guitars, but the same guitars are now really collectable.
Still, I think today's chinese guitar does not have the same quality as the older japanese guitars.

Ironically, the more accurate info is released about how to identify a real Whatever brand guitar, the more ammo the fakers have.
It's a matter of national security!  :tard:

It is Kind of creepy to see an old ax in WAY better condition than it should be...

All the more reason to get a Warmoth!

I wouldn't buy Michael Jordans used shoes because they're vintage, though...think aboot eet. :icon_scratch:
I'd rather get a new pair and Burpee and Gasser them to death myself.

quote from stubhead...Nowadays you can buy the books that tell you in exacting detail just how to identify a "real" vintage guitar - thanks to the universally-high moral standards of the human species, however, no one has ever used those books to figure out how to fake an old guitar, though.  And those "genuine" spaghetti-logo Fender decals on Ebay are for your fridge.... A few years back somebody counted up the ads for 1958 Les Pauls in Vintage Guitar, on Ebay and elsewhere and deduced that at any given time, there were approximately TEN TIMES as many 1958 Les Pauls for sale as were ever even manufactured. And they're still worth $250,000....

Elderly instrumenst always has a slew of rare mint les pauls for sale.....

Brian

Tonar8353 said:
IMG_4517.jpg

Ahh...swelling subsided.  Circulation normal.

Yes.
There is another thread showing it completed and it is also in the guitar of the month thread.

Back